GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Now the question is: How much? Oh, not the sticker...I mean, how much really???

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Now the question is: How much? Oh, not the sticker...I mean, how much really???

$75-$90K until enough are made to bring them down to MSRP/

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
It's gorgeous

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
$75-$90K...

If that proves to be true, for that money a ZO6 makes a lot more sense - unless one needs 4 seats.

(Or, alternatively, a "gennie", loooooooooooow mile, factory 409/409, 4-spd, posi, radio/heater delete car...such as the one I'm trying to get documentation on as we speak - uh - type. That will appreciate, not depreciate...at least in my lifetime. 'Not likely one will be able to say the same for the ZL1 in the same time frame.)

...until enough are made to bring them down to MSRP/

There's the 'wild card' right there. If the new MPG regs (or whatever) DEMAND an end to the production of cars like the ZL1 before too many are built, who knows what the exact particulars will be.

Last edited:

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
Is this the ZR1 engine for half off?

Luke Warmwater

Permanent Vacation
Jul 29, 2009
Boondocks, Colorado
In my opinion all the modern musclecar renditions are bloated, hideous, oversized facsimiles of the originals. My first car was a 70 Challenger R/T that was to this day along with all E-bodies, a beautiful example of auto design. When word of a modern copy was released I had my checkbook in hand ready to stand first in line to have one. That was until I saw it in person. My god, what had they done! The modern Camaro is as bad or worse. A 69 SS is one of the finest looking cars ever produced. The modern version is bigger than a 69 Caddie Seville. Why in gods name did they not produce cars that if anything shared the same if not more tidy dimmensions than the originals? I mean go on a damn diet if you're so fat you can't fit into a 69 Camaro. The Mustang has held closer than the others but even it is a modern day Moby Dick compared to a 66 fastback.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
In my opinion all the modern musclecar renditions are bloated, hideous, oversized facsimiles of the originals.

Yet decimate them in every performance parameter.

A 69 SS is one of the finest looking cars ever produced.

Tough to argue against that But I would take a Detroit Speed updated version over a 100% original. The originals drive like trucks compared to Modern cars. I think you are going thru a vintage car phase anyway, right? :biggrin

The modern version is bigger than a 69 Caddie Seville.

Didn't Sevilles arrive in 1976? :confused :bored :biggrin :biggrin

Why in gods name did they not produce cars that if anything shared the same if not more tidy dimmensions than the originals?

New safety and impact requirements? Aerodynamics?

The Mustang has held closer than the others but even it is a modern day Moby Dick compared to a 66 fastback.

Agree but it Kicks it's butt in every performance arena.

I hear you Luke, the Originals are better looking (cleaner/leaner) designs. Just bustin your chops. :lol

on d bit

Jul 20, 2008
maricopa az
How much? 4200lbs....way too much!

junior

GT Owner
Mar 9, 2007
So Cal
The car needs Richard Simmons and an Audi interior designer.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
The car needs Richard Simmons and an Audi interior designer.

I'll grant the darn thing needs another DASHBOARD designer. Whomever came up with the current eyesore needs to be shown the door...as should the higher-ups who APPROVED it.

MAN, it's uuuuuuuugly.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Is this the ZR1 engine for half off?

Explain?

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
The modern Camaro is as bad or worse. A 69 SS is one of the finest looking cars ever produced. The modern version is bigger than a 69 Caddie Seville.

I agree. I've spent time between the wheel of all three. I hate the Camaro. I just don't like anything about the car. Interior sucks, poor visibility, hate the front and rear views. It's not nearly as good to drive as the Mustang and doesn't look as cool as the Challenger.

I have no doubt the new one will be fast, but you can't outrun cheesy. And it's a CTS-V motor(LSA), not a ZR-1 motor(LS9).

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit
It's not nearly as good to drive as the Mustang ....

Having driven the SS of late, that is a fact.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Having driven the SS of late, that is a fact.

You're saying it wasn't a treat? :biggrin

Will be interesting to see ZL-1 vs. 2013 GT500. They are big on touting ZL-1 as having 7.24 lbs per hp. Wonder how many lbs per hp 2013 GT500 will be... :driving: :secret: :biggrin

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit
I'd say after 'appreciating it' for a couple of days, I added two inches to my upper body. Probably a combo of vinyl seats (hangin' on) and the physics of trying to change direction of a 3900 lb object at speed. But the interior is to die for, er I mean, if you are into acres of cheap plastic - picture a 12" band of plastic surrounding the driver/passenger? Wow!

I think the boys at SVT will make make short work of the ZL1 and the Boss (302) will spank it on the track.

Copenhagen GT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 5, 2008
Copenhagen, Denmark
The Camaro SS .... Like racing an elephant .....

on d bit

Jul 20, 2008
maricopa az
You're saying it wasn't a treat? :biggrin

Will be interesting to see ZL-1 vs. 2013 GT500. They are big on touting ZL-1 as having 7.24 lbs per hp. Wonder how many lbs per hp 2013 GT500 will be... :driving: :secret: :biggrin

If I am not mistaken the 2012 gt500 has 6.82 lbs per hp. 3750lbs(2011/12 gt500 minus the mach 1000 sound system)/550hp ~ 6.82

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
I'm talking 2013. :biggrin

on d bit

Jul 20, 2008
maricopa az
I understand. Just pointing out that as it stands currently gm is still behind the ball or behind blue oval as the case may be.