Wine Suggestions for a novice

ROCMAN

Big Dawg!
Mark IV Lifetime
Mar 9, 2006
USA
Well, I have had no more than 6 sips of wine in my whole life. I have always tried red wines, and do not like them at all.

To give you a little background, I do not drink, have never been drunk, and can not stand the taste of alcohol.

I hear that some wines are sweet, and taste almost like juice. I dont like earthy, or wood tastes. I prefer fruity, with as little alcohol taste as possible.
I want to eventually get into other wines, or at least learn to appreciate different wines, but dont even know where to start.

I am going to this little bar called All Corked Up. From what I understand, they let you taste different wines, and help you with selection. Did you guys immediately like wine, or did you learn to appreciate and enjoy it over time?

Any recommendations?

STUNTS

FORD GT OWNER & LITTLE TIMMYS DAD!
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 5, 2006
SoCal
Well, I started with Boones back in HighSchool and once I was in College I moved up to Night Train which is more of a cough syrup than wine.. I hung in there with Bartle and James because they got me laid alot (you know Hawaii) but then when I moved to California and worked for a special FX CO. they sent me to Chicago for a job and the owner eventually flew out and Ipicked him up at O'Hare.... we went down town to "The Chop House" this is when he ordered a bottle of Opus 1 (one) they put it in a canter (a what???) a canter.... and this is when I fell in love with red wine.... Jack of all traits master of none though here Rocman.... can't give you any lessons or tell you woods from fruitiness.... but its good.... then again so is a Jack and coke....

FordGTGuy

Aug 1, 2005
Norfolk, VA
***Underage(not 21) guy leaves the thread before he makes an ass of himself... lol :willy

kumar

GT Owner
Jan 31, 2007
Dallas
Id say try a sweet riesling.

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Roc,
I am in the drinks biz. Whatever your taste is, is 100% correct for you. The best thing to do is go to a new age wine shop where you can taste many different wines and is ran by a highly educated staff. Tell them what you have written here, and let them taste you through wines that they feel would fit your taste parameters. Remember that all wines will taste differently when maried to food, and the real test is parring of the two.
cheers,
daniel

BigsGT

Tungsten GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 8, 2006
Austin Texas
What Bony said. However if you need somewhere to start in a hurry and you want a good deal, try any of the Argentinian Malbecs from the Mendoza valley. They are very drinkable and are neither too sweet or too dry. Remember cost does not equal quality or drinkability, depends on your pallette.

Kingman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 11, 2006
Surf City, USA
What Bony said is true. You may also want to check out Hi-Times Wine Cellar is Costa Mesa - www.hitimewine.net/ They have reputedly the largest wine cellar on the west coast.

Not only do they have a vast selection of wines, they also have a wine bar for tastings. In addition, they also sell liquor, cigars, chocolates, and accessories for the discriminating palette.

250 Ogle St
Costa Mesa, CA 92627
(949) 650-8463
www.hitimewine.net/

Seal Beach also has attracted a nice little wine tasting shop on Main Street.

I first started with a Pommard...then digressed to Boone's Farm with my bud's...

timcantwell

Le Mans 2010 Sponsor * Moderator
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 22, 2006
N.E. OH & Naples, FL
Well, I started with Boones back in HighSchool and once I was in College I moved up to Night Train which is more of a cough syrup than wine.. I hung in there with Bartle and James because they got me laid alot (you know Hawaii) but then when I moved to California and worked for a special FX CO. they sent me to Chicago for a job and the owner eventually flew out and Ipicked him up at O'Hare.... we went down town to "The Chop House" this is when he ordered a bottle of Opus 1 (one) they put it in a canter (a what???) a canter.... and this is when I fell in love with red wine.... Jack of all traits master of none though here Rocman.... can't give you any lessons or tell you woods from fruitiness.... but its good.... then again so is a Jack and coke....

Tim, I knew we had a lot in common, before I read your post, I was all set to recommend Boone's Farm. My first "taste" of wine was an entire bottle of Boone's Farm Strawberry. It goes down like soda pop, and is not so bad when you puke it all back up again.

Serious, Mark, talk to Bony, he is a professional expert on wines. Stick with the whites if you can, and if you're a novice and don't like the taste of alcohol, stick with the Rieslings, Piesporters, and other Rhine wines, as they are light, fruity, and lower in alcohol. I think you will quickly learn to appreciate their taste before you move on to the more complex, dryer, Chardonays, etc. I have become very appreciative of wine and the variety and complexity of flavors including spices, acidity, fruits, tannins, etc. Wine is something that is "crafted" and can be appreciated much like art. (or a car for that matter!)

jj1987

Jun 9, 2006
I hung in there with Bartle and James because they got me laid alot (you know Hawaii)
:rofl

GTNJ

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 21, 2006
State of Confusion
O.K. LISTEN ... don't go for any of that older aged swill !

How bout a nice new bottle of 2007 something or another !

:lol:lol :cheers

usmcfred

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 26, 2006
Massachusetts
I agree with Tim and Kumar. Based on your post, start with the sweeter German (Rhein or Mosel) WHITES.

In German classification, in order of dry to sweetest ... Kabinet, Spatslese, Auslese, Berenauslese and the very syrupy dessert wine, Trockenberrenauslese. I would suggest you start with a Spatslese and if not sweet enough for you, move on to an Auslese and so on. These need not be expensive and several vintners make these various wines.

Good luck and have fun experimenting in the world of wine.

usmcfred

Last edited:

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Okay. "Wet Mop" here...

Question: if you DON'T LIKE alcohol -'can't stand the stuff, 'never had a taste for wine (or whatever) in yur life, WHY THE HECK DO YOU WANNA PURSUADE 'YURSEFF' INTO DEVELOPING A TASTE FOR SUMPTHIN' YUR BODY'S BEEN TELLIN' YUH FER YEARS IT WANTS NUTHIN TO DO WITH?

Shoot! I'd just leave well enough alone, ROC! :biggrin ('Apologies to Bony, et al.)

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
Boujelais is red they drink on rocks

Sangria aint bad if you can salsa

ROCMAN

Big Dawg!
Mark IV Lifetime
Mar 9, 2006
USA
Okay. "Wet Mop" here...

Question: if you DON'T LIKE alcohol -'can't stand the stuff, 'never had a taste for wine (or whatever) in yur life, WHY THE HECK DO YOU WANNA PURSUADE 'YURSEFF' INTO DEVELOPING A TASTE FOR SUMPTHIN' YUR BODY'S BEEN TELLIN' YUH FER YEARS IT WANTS NUTHIN TO DO WITH?

Shoot! I'd just leave well enough alone, ROC! :biggrin ('Apologies to Bony, et al.)

It figures that you would give me that response. :lol

Don't worry, I'm not trying to become a drunk, I just want to experience other things. I heard a glass of wine a day is good for you, so why not take it up. I highly doubt I would ever drink enough to get drunk. It would be more for social events and family get togethers. I am tired of buying all this wine for everyone else, and not drinking any myself.:biggrin

I still wont drink the hard stuff. I get a kick from watching everyone else drink that stuff. :lol

funat50

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 1, 2006
Greensboro NC - IOP, SC
Try this.

I've probably drank enough wine, good and bad, in my day to keep a small ship afloat. Since you're in CA, go with well known products like Chardonnay (White) and Pinot Noir (Red). These are very popular varieties and come in many price points. Pick a Chard in the $25-$50 range or a Pinot in the $35-$70 and you'll probably hit on something you enjoy. Look for a Pinot from Willamette Valley region and a Chard for the Russian River region and you should be OK. Wine taste are very subjective and personal. Rarely have I found good cheap wine. IMHO.
Enjoy, Salute:cheers

Shelby#18

GTX1 Owner/Moderator
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Dec 15, 2006
Nev./So. Cal./Minn.
I just had my first taste of Boones Farm in MN 2 weeks ago. Just tastes like fruit juice. I think I'll stick with Guinness. :cheers

timcantwell

Le Mans 2010 Sponsor * Moderator
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 22, 2006
N.E. OH & Naples, FL
I just had my first taste of Boones Farm in MN 2 weeks ago. Just tastes like fruit juice. I think I'll stick with Guinness. :cheers

Smart Man!

todd

GT Owner
Feb 3, 2006
so. ca.
My favorite wine is Budwieser with a Jager chaser, I have found it to be a great cure for realality:ack
P.S. my avitar says it all

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
I heard a glass of wine a day is good for you, so why not take it up.

Well, for starters, since said helpful substance comes from the grapes in the wine, it stands to reason one can git th' same helpful ingre-D-ant by simply drinking grape juice!:lol

(Oh-oh! Here it comes!)

GTNJ

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 21, 2006
State of Confusion
Okay. "Wet Mop" here...

Pockets ............ holy cow . you O.K. ?

I can suggest some fine cubans !!!!!!!!!:thumbsup

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh CIGARS !!! :lol:lol