Windshield Skin Report

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
I don't care for the blurry effect either, and I haven't seen a kit on a car that didn't do it.

I've never had anyone say anything about the visibility on mine. I have to tell everyone it's there, But It does take some time to fully dry out to reach it's best clarity.. 30 to 60 days

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Windshield skin update

The Saturday after Thanksgiving, I finally had my windshield skin applied. Went to a window tinter recommended by my windshiled replacement place. Took the guy a little over an hour for the install, used a buddy for the initial placement. Looked great wet, but on the ride home I could see some waviness. It's now 30 days since install, and it looks perfect. I am really impressed. No way can you tell it's there unless I tell you. FYI Frank

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
windshield film

I had mine installed by a friend of mine who does window tinting I would say the result is 98% perfect. I have used window tear offs in racing for years. As a result I can SEE the benefits. As Fred says it only eliminates all the small stuff from the road It does however work quite well and keeps the windscreen like new. I would however recommend changing the skin every other year depending on use.The skin does get a little beat up . I also use rejex to keep it clean and polished. I find that rejex works well as a polish for the skin material .
I am sorry to hear that BONY has had bad luck with Pro line .This makes me a little nervous about reordering .
Maybe the proline guy does not appreciate female parts bouncing . Too bad for him!!
Hey Bony send me the link please for the bouncy pics!!
In the work shop manual it does not show having to take off the front wings to replace the windscreen. Am I wrong?
Anyway Merry Christmas Ford gt familly .
Ron

shesgotlegs

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 20, 2006
I wonder why there is such a variation in the final results as far as window clarity is concerned?

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
I wonder why there is such a variation in the final results as far as window clarity is concerned?

'Covered B4, I think.

'Has to do with the amount/kind of soap used if I remember correctly.

snaproll

GT Owner
Dec 3, 2006
Naples, FL
I was freaked out about mine after the installation last month. Turns out that it really does get better with time. It's now fully acceptable optically. The instructions were confusing if not impossible to follow but I did get it on the windshield and it should do exactly what I want it to do - protect my windshield.

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
I was freaked out about mine after the installation last month. Turns out that it really does get better with time. It's now fully acceptable optically. The instructions were confusing if not impossible to follow but I did get it on the windshield and it should do exactly what I want it to do - protect my windshield.

Even after all the squeegeeing there is a thin layer of water left under the film. It take a good 30 to 60 days depending on where you live and how much heat and sun the film is exposed to before it reaches maximum clarity. If it's installed correctly and allowed to dry out completely no one will know it's there. I don't think there is a variance in clarity I think people are chiming in before the film is fully cured..
I have two GT's and they won't leave the garage unprotected. One has had film on now for a year and I know it's saved me at least (3) time from chips or cracks and It still looks great !! I highly recommend Rejex as a coating for the film

Last edited:

racelance

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Nov 26, 2006
Carlisle, PA
An old, old thread... but I just got my car coated with Xpel. Anyone out there willing to provide me with current feedback on this product? I appreciate any insight - recommendations & etc.

Thanks in advance,

Lance

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
I have the proline windshield film.Have had no issues.I even got an extra in my Gt inventory shed.Boy that shed is filling up fast !
But tell me what is xpel??

racelance

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Nov 26, 2006
Carlisle, PA
I have the proline windshield film.Have had no issues.I even got an extra in my Gt inventory shed.Boy that shed is filling up fast !
But tell me what is xpel??

Thanks for the info... Xpel is the film that covers the front of the car - similar to 3M.

Again, thanks for the info.

Sincerely,

Lance

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Uhhhhh, Lance? If it's already ON the car...............uh................?:shrug

(Pls remember, Pockets is a little s-l-o-w...)

racelance

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Nov 26, 2006
Carlisle, PA
Uhhhhh, Lance? If it's already ON the car...............uh................?:shrug

(Pls remember, Pockets is a little s-l-o-w...)

I didn't put the windshield film on - I'm simply requesting an update on how it's holding up for current owners that are using this film. Any guidance would be appreciated.

Sincerely,

Lance

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
I didn't put the windshield film on - I'm simply requesting an update on how it's holding up for current owners that are using this film. Any guidance would be appreciated.

Sincerely,

Lance

I was the first one to have this on my Tungsten GT. I was installed Jan 1 2007. The original film is still in place and has done a fantastic job ! It has saved me about four times! I took one hit from a large rock about the size of a quarter. I saw that one coming as it shot from the rear tire of a Lambo. It put a large gouge in the film but no cracks or breaks in the glass. I have the film on the Red car but it has not seen much street use.

I do not have wipers on my cars. I keep mine coated with " Rejex" which is great on all surfaces and I find to be better than Rainex and much easier to put on and take off.

I would not drive my GT without this film in place. If installed properly the film is not noticeable unless you really stare at the glass surface. In normal driving you are focused beyond the glass so you do not notice it. I have to tell people it is there.

GT4JR

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 26, 2006
Yorba Linda, California
so we use the windshield wipers with the film on?

timcantwell

Le Mans 2010 Sponsor * Moderator
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 22, 2006
N.E. OH & Naples, FL
I've got to get this on my cars. Since moving to Arizona, I've literally lost five windshields!!!! And I only spend about four months a year there!

S592R

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 3, 2006
I've got to get this on my cars. Since moving to Arizona, I've literally lost five windshields!!!! And I only spend about four months a year there!

Sounds like the same paving companies here also work there. I'm down three this year.:thumbsdow:thumbsdow 2 on the LC and one on the 335xi. Fortunately none on the GT. No bolts this year .... yet.

Anyone have a good source for the film precut?

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
I've had mine on for about two years now. I use the wipers all the time and no problems. Unless I tell you it's there, you really wouldn't know. Has saved me numerous nicks. I can't see driving without it becasue of the cost and hassle of replacing the windshield.

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
I've had mine on for about two years now. I use the wipers all the time and no problems. Unless I tell you it's there, you really wouldn't know. Has saved me numerous nicks. I can't see driving without it because of the cost and hassle of replacing the windshield.[/QUOTE
Same here as stated above !! I think the film is great .Some people had a problem when they 1st came out ,but not I .When I ordered my extra one they said they would not warranty it .I told them that was fine by me .When I told them I already had one on my car and liked it so much ,they seemed to loosen up a bit.

racelance

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Nov 26, 2006
Carlisle, PA
Thanks for the feedback guys!

Lance

KJRGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 4, 2006
SoCal
I bought one of these but never had it installed. I want to put it on prior to Rally IV.
Are they fairly simple to install, and if not, anyone recommend an installer near the West LA area?
Thanks. :thumbsup