Wild Pricing

RPM217

2005 white/blue stripe
Jun 18, 2010
Rye Brook, New York
It gets a little scary knowing that I'm driving a car that cost more than 2 and a half times the first house I bought. Replacement parts, cost and availability is only going to get more ridiculous, but I didn't get the car to just look at it, I got it to drive. I bought this car last May, and since then, I've put 3,000 miles on it. I try and take turns driving it and the NSX on weekends, to spread the love, but if I'm going to a car show, where they know me, they always ask me to bring the GT. Go figure:) Both the NSX and GT are rising in value, and neither one of them will ever be sold by me (hopefully, not for many years), but by my "executors". I don't know if I'd feel differently if the cost goes up much more from here, regarding driving it. If I wouldn't drive it, I wouldn't want to keep it. So, in other words, I guess I'm hoping that it doesn't go up in value from here, too quickly!!!

bret a ewing

GT Owner
Nov 29, 2006
Given what appears to be a continuing rise in prices, I'm glad I bought mine last month--and regret not buying one a year ago! I hope prices stabilize soon, because if a street driven GT gets to be a half-million dollar collector's trinket, I'll be tempted to sell it and get something I won't mind risking on the street so much.

Exactly!

This is rhetorical because it resides in the "I can't talk about it, deepest, darkest part of the brain", but what is that sell number. That breaker trip that current owners can't and wont walk away from.

I knew/know a lot of muscle/sports car guys that would never ever ever sell their automotive babies.

Those same folks are empty nesters today after that market blew sky high.

Some content - others not so much.

Now that is to say IF this is not a bubble and IF the prices continue in a linear fashion..........big if's for sure, and naturally it is IMHO.

Tomcat

GT Owner
It gets a little scary knowing that I'm driving a car that cost more than 2 and a half times the first house I bought. Replacement parts, cost and availability is only going to get more ridiculous, but I didn't get the car to just look at it, I got it to drive. I bought this car last May, and since then, I've put 3,000 miles on it. I try and take turns driving it and the NSX on weekends, to spread the love, but if I'm going to a car show, where they know me, they always ask me to bring the GT. Go figure:) Both the NSX and GT are rising in value, and neither one of them will ever be sold by me (hopefully, not for many years), but by my "executors". I don't know if I'd feel differently if the cost goes up much more from here, regarding driving it. If I wouldn't drive it, I wouldn't want to keep it. So, in other words, I guess I'm hoping that it doesn't go up in value from here, too quickly!!!
Agreed...although since I had to rebuild the NSX...I am MUCH more comfortable wth driving it (since the worst has already happened and it recovered nicely).

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
The only reason I could foresee selling mine would only be if it would allow me to purchase a car I might love more. Only other car I can think of that ticks all the right boxes is a Carrera GT. Considering that car is also appreciating along with the Ford, I don't see that ever becoming a possibility. Oh well, guess I'll 'have' to keep the Ford.:)

Hollowpockets

GT Owner
May 15, 2014
Aberdeen, UK
I just paid ~$194,000 for a black 2006 GT in the UK, with 50k on the clock. I decided to get one while I could, also get one with some miles on it, so I could use it plenty and not worry about the value.

The cheapest car in the UK at the moment seems to be $168,000 with 70k on the clock but most seem to be $250,000 and upwards.

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
I just paid ~$194,000 for a black 2006 GT in the UK, with 50k on the clock. I decided to get one while I could, also get one with some miles on it, so I could use it plenty and not worry about the value.

The cheapest car in the UK at the moment seems to be $168,000 with 70k on the clock but most seem to be $250,000 and upwards.

So you're the lucky guy--nice catch. It seems the prices are comparable in the US and UK. I paid $190K for my red GT a month ago, with 26Kmi on the odo. I've added almost 1500 miles since then.

Gene Cassone

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 3, 2005
way upstate NY
I had bought a Ferrari 330 GTS for 75000 10 years ago, spent 3 years restoring it hoping to drive it often. When value went crazy , was afraid to drive it . Sold it for a Hugh profit, value has since doubled again! gt doing the same? I guess I will go out and buy a miata!

Hollowpockets

GT Owner
May 15, 2014
Aberdeen, UK
So you're the lucky guy--nice catch. It seems the prices are comparable in the US and UK. I paid $190K for my red GT a month ago, with 26Kmi on the odo. I've added almost 1500 miles since then.

Yeah the car is stunning, and whippled... :D I'm getting a few bits of trim replaced and re-trimmed to tidy it up first so will get it in a week or two. Can't wait!

mmlcobra

GT Owner
May 25, 2013
You can either drive it or park it in your living room and look at it.
Last time I checked, things that have 4 wheels and tires where meant to be driven.
I'm for miles miles on the car and the kids can still sell it later.
If anybody bought this car for investment value, they have missed the point.
RPM, I know you feel the same way!
Best,
Mark

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
I had bought a Ferrari 330 GTS for 75000 10 years ago, spent 3 years restoring it hoping to drive it often. When value went crazy , was afraid to drive it . Sold it for a Hugh profit, value has since doubled again! gt doing the same? I guess I will go out and buy a miata!

Sounds terrible. Poor guy! :lol

Gene Cassone

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 3, 2005
way upstate NY
It is interesting how the low mileage cars are demanding such a premium! I have a Z8 and it is the same, low mileage cars bringing $30000 over cars with as little as 10000 miles! It was mentioned somewhere else maybe the smart thing to do is buy the discounted high mileage no stories car, drive it , and In ten years or so not only did I enjoy it but the price difference will not be as much?!

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
It was mentioned somewhere else maybe the smart thing to do...

The smart thing to do is buy a car you like to drive, then drive it. And, if it appreciates in ten years and you still love it, keep driving it.

K-P Garage

GT Owner
Sep 12, 2005
Longwood, Florida
As the Alan Jackson song sez "can't drive a check". The GTs appreciation in Monetary value is nice but still can't catch up to the fun of the car itself.

w. mitty

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 1, 2005
Having recently sold my car, I can tell you that the appreciation in value was irrelevant to my motivation to sell. I certainly won't deny that it was a pleasant byproduct, but I drove the car 16,000 miles without a thought as to the impact it would have on the sale price. My reason for sale was really quite simple; to finance my quest for a Mclaren P1. If I'm lucky enough to get one, you can bet I'll drive it another 16,000 miles. Then I'll sell it (probably for a loss) and buy another GT. :)

GTdrummer

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 13, 2010
Richmond Virginia
You won't sell a P1 for a loss.

GTdrummer

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 13, 2010
Richmond Virginia
Btw if you get a P1, you will be in line for a limited 25 hyper race P1s that will be raced and sold.