Why do people sell their GTs?

GT Owner
Jun 26, 2006
Bought it to drive it. The most I could lose is about $150K. Would only sell it if I was out of food, clothing, and shelter. But don't ask my wife the same question....

STUNTS

FORD GT OWNER & LITTLE TIMMYS DAD!
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 5, 2006
SoCal
Couldn't agree more. I know that I will be selling this GT. I buy and sell cars all the time, and I am not a car poser. I get bored by stuff sooner or later. And whether GT owners like it or not, there will be cars that blow this car out of the water. Even if you dial up the boost, imagine a car two or three years from now with six or seven hundred HP THAT WEIGHS 2800 LBS. The technology that is coming is light weight, for phenomenal all-around performance. Because of technology, I know that I will eventually move on. As far as scarcity goes - cars that really appreciate were built in quantities of hundreds, not thousands.

I now fully expect to be flamed.

Its called an S7 that goes for $750K now... I guess you're selling your GT?
How much? I'll make an offer!!!

Last edited:

ROCMAN

Big Dawg!
Mark IV Lifetime
Mar 9, 2006
USA
I think some of you are missing the point. Sure, there will be faster, better performing cars, hell, they are already here. The GT is not known as the fastest car out there, but with some mods, the car is more than enough for street use. I rarely track my cars, so I think the car is a perfect comprimise. If I was looking for performance, I would have pulled the trigger already on the Atom. It will smoke almost anything on 4 wheels that is street legal.
Will I keep this car forever, not sure, but as I type this, I have no future plans on selling it. I rather build a larger garage and have more toys.

FlorIdaho Chris

Yeah, I've got one.
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
ROCMAN said:
... I rather build a larger garage and have more toys.

EXACTLY!! :thumbsup

ENZO BTR

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 11, 2005
Southern California
Plymouth HEMI 'Cuda:
No real race history, plenty of cars can dust it today, worth a hundred of times what it cost new

"Yeah Karl, but they only made a few hundred of them."

Okay, ANY 'Cuda (that hasn't been Eff'ed up by its many owners in the last 36 years) is still worth 10 times what it cost new. A "basic" 340 car is still worth $40,000-plus in clean shape. Why? Not because "better" cars eventually came out and not because it had a race history. 'Cudas are worth money because they represent a moment in time (that never happened again...) and relatively few were produced.

While 4,000 is a lot for an exotic, it isn't a lot for a once-in-a-lifetime exotic. How many other mid-engine exotics have been produced by a domestic car company? No matter how powerful the Viper and 'Vette gets they will never represent the "moment in time" that the Ford GT represents. Anyone who attended the rally knows how unique the circumstances are that came together to create the GT. And, sad to say, with Ford's, GM's and Chrysler's current problems the future outlook for another domestic car like it is slim. So in terms of what the Ford GT really is and all it represents, VERY FEW were produced.

Sure, any single Ferrari model is rare by comparison. But Ferrari has been making a mid-engine car for over 30 years. And there's always another (better) one coming. There is no "successor" to the Ford GT on the near or far horizon (not like the 308-328-348-355-360-430-etc gravy train). The people and resources came together. The car was produced. And now it's over (the final assembly plant will even go away soon...).

I don't see myself ever getting "bored" with what the GT represents (both currently and historically) -- and that won't change even if a 10-second Viper/Vette hits next year.

The best part? Feeling this way frees me from any concern about past, present or future value -- even though I'm sure the car will eventually be worth plenty. :banana

Last edited:

jimfro

GT Owner
Jun 20, 2006
Sebring, Florida
GT or what

I love my GT and the kick I get from driving it and all the high five's you get from the kids driving by, however I would trade it even up for a real cool Mustang as in a P51 type!!! :wink

FlorIdaho Chris

Yeah, I've got one.
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
jimfro said:
...however I would trade it even up for a real cool Mustang as in a P51 type!!! :wink

I'd have to agree with you there. :cheers

Another unique machine representing a "moment in time".

doccars

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 10, 2005
Most of the posts have interesting points. I respect both sides of the discussion. For me, I don't anticipate selling this car. I move into and out of most of my automobiles on a frequency basis, 6-12 months on average for many of the reasons already posted. As far as the GT, I don't foresee that happening. Like my Pantera, I intend to keep this car. Both cars were the result of a fantasy that I had when I was younger (No Bony, I know what you are thinking. Don't attach a sexual to the statement.) When I was younger, unable to afford to drive a car other than my parent's I saw an original GT40 and wanted one ever since. The retro GT is the best of both worlds, new technology with the nostalgia of the original and American technology. It is proof that we can produce an exotic in this country when we tap the right resources. For me the memories when I was younger, the Detroit Rally and the impassioned group of owners that I have met, as well as the people associated with the GT program make this more than just another automobile passing through my garage. So for me it is a keeper. I also respect the other views. For those other owners the GT is a novel ride that will move on when another toy arrives. I have and continue to also have that passion as well.

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Ok, for the last time, my GT is a keeper, but for you folks who might want to sell your GT, but don't want to the hassle of selling it yourself, here is a dealer that will help you out...
http://www.filecabi.net/video/casales06r.html (adult content) :biggrin

50 BMG

Aug 3, 2005
AZ
SLF360 said:
I'm enjoying all the miles I PUT ON, WHILE YOU ARE WAITING !!!!!!!!!!!\\\

PRICELESS... :lol :lol :lol

SEE YOU IN 2010 !

I could pay cash tomorrow, but I'd rather wait till it's PRICEDLESS :lol :lol :lol

I'll be owning by 2009, and hitting 30 years of age in 2010. My other slow Ford toy can keep me company; take care and see you then.

Last edited:

scode

Mar 28, 2006
Plymouth, MI
50 BMG said:
I could pay cash tomorrow, but I'd rather wait till it's PRICEDLESS :lol :lol :lol

I'll be owning by 2009, and hitting 30 years of age in 2010. My other slow Ford toy can keep me company; take care and see you then.

Hey James, the Steeda Mustang you drove with me in August will be featured in an up-coming ""Autoweek" magazine. The actual car you drove. By the way, after you guys bailed, and the late night we had before at Camillo's I forgot the "sun-block" and was there untill 5:00 pm when the "Steeda" won "Best in Class" I was a "lobsteer"

Stay tuned :wink

50 BMG

Aug 3, 2005
AZ
scode said:
Hey James, the Steeda Mustang you drove with me in August will be featured in an up-coming ""Autoweek" magazine. The actual car you drove. By the way, after you guys bailed, and the late night we had before at Camillo's I forgot the "sun-block" and was there untill 5:00 pm when the "Steeda" won "Best in Class" I was a "lobsteer"

Stay tuned :wink

Cool man. Let me know which month issue it's in.

FlorIdaho Chris

Yeah, I've got one.
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
50 BMG said:

You could be dead tomorrow. 2009 is an eternity to wait to save a few bucks.

You can always make more money, it is time that is truly precious.

I'm w Stefan on this. To each his own though. :cheers

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Florida Chris said:
You could be dead tomorrow. 2009 is an eternity to wait to save a few bucks.

You can always make more money, it is time that is truly precious.

I'm w Stefan on this. To each his own though. :cheers

ASSS-xactly, I have gone to more funerals and memorial services in the last 12 months than I have in my entire life... live for today, plan for tomorrow. :thumbsup

Red Rocket

GT Owner
Aug 31, 2006
Pacific North West
Right on Bony! Better to enjoy life now, we ain't getting any younger!

Might I add that some people are selling their GT's because it is too much car for the average, and I mean average, driver. Most guys love the shape and think it will be like their BMW Z8 or Mercedes SL65, or (pick a car). But the GT takes a special driver, one who is attuned to the car and one who knows how to handle torque. It's a mighty damn intimidating car for those who are used to anything else short of a high power race car. The first month I had mine I used to get an adrenaline rush an hour before getting in it! Many modern cars have really watered down the driving experience, but as one of my buds said when he first set eyes on the Gt - " This is a really RAW car."

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
I can't recall who the other Murcielago owners are here, but I have to say that the Lamborghini was (for me) more intimidating than the GT... It was akin to driving The Titanic from the pointy end - fun, but, as my wife said, makes your legs go a bit wobbly!! Maybe it was putting those huge doors up in the air to get in which made it an event somehow.

I much prefer the GT to drive - linear, smooth, compact, better gear shift (in my humble opinion).... And, of course, I don't feel such a tosser driving it as I did in the banana! :lol

Red Rocket

GT Owner
Aug 31, 2006
Pacific North West
Neil, you're reading my mind! I just saw a new DB9 so I was just going to p.m. you about which of the great cars in your collection you preferred!

I understand what you mean about the Lambo, but I guess what I meant was the GT is intimidating from the "I'm gonna rip your head off with torque and tempt you to break all speed limits" kind of perspective, as well as the "treat me with respect" kind of vibe one gets from the GT. Not better maybe, but different. More of a raw car.

canuck

GT Owner
Mar 4, 2006
The GT is the flavor of the month. None the less some people will choose it to be their all time favorite and wish to be able to sample it for life and others will move on. Interesting is to compare it to the Z8. First built in 2000?. One of a kind with no successor and about 4-5k built. Based on a previous version. Designed by an artist. Price was comparable to the GT. 1st buyers payed a huge premium. Price has settled at just under 100K. Initially hard to get. Designed like no other car and was la creme de la creme.

Red Rocket

GT Owner
Aug 31, 2006
Pacific North West
Maybe. But the Z8 was/is not an exciting car, and it was and is only recognizable to the cogniscenti. Plus it had no predecessor with racing heritage. Most non-car buffs regard it as just another rich guys car. It don't stir the soul!

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Red Rocket said:
Maybe. But the Z8 was/is not an exciting car, and it was and is only recognizable to the cogniscenti. Plus it had no predecessor with racing heritage. Most non-car buffs regard it as just another rich guys car. It don't stir the soul!

Regarding the Z8, Keith Martin in the New York Times said it was the best $85k car he ever tested, problem is the list is $135k... I agree. Nice car for the Dr's wife to drive to the club. :wink