Why do people sell their GTs?

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
In reviewing ebay and autotrader lists there are about 30-80 used GTs with 9000-100 miles on them.

Can understand ithe car is not for all, but 80 seems sort of high, and 2/3 seemed to have like 500 miles. How can you shell out this much cash then bail after 500 miles?

Also, about half the used cars on Autotrader have like 5 miles. This apears to be exotic car shops that tried to flip and are now stuck at/under MSRP.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Same reason, people who bought for investment and are freaking out prices are dropping. I think the majority of GT owners (certainly most here, I know I am) are in it for life.

Car prices dropping? Never!

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
I think most are for 3 lifetimes: son, grandson, etc.

Most here are scrambling to figure out how to buy another one

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
Simple - people selling don't know the car. Even simpler - lost!

"drive it like you stole it" :biggrin

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
My plan - buy a second then file for divorce.. Trade her car, 73 eldo, 69 Mach 1 for the second GT [I really hope] :lol

Actually she is a really great woman - loves the nuclear light! Just now trying to get garage space.

Anybody want's to buy a 73 eldo vert? blu - wht with the parade boot? :biggrin

STUNTS

FORD GT OWNER & LITTLE TIMMYS DAD!
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 5, 2006
SoCal
They don't know how to drive it or they finally got laid having the car and now need to sell it to keep her happy or pay for the wedding :rofl

ViperJoe

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 17, 2006
Washington Crossing, PA
Because they're posers. Real car people which by and large frequent this forum, have absolutely no intention of ever selling their GT's. Posers need to move on to the next "keep up with the Jones car" whatever that might be.

There's some that have encountered misfortune and need to sell; my heart goes out to them for sure.

And finally as mentioned above, the spec people that are now standing their with little more than a firm grip on their johnson.

ROCMAN

Big Dawg!
Mark IV Lifetime
Mar 9, 2006
USA
Sell it and get what? The only car I want more than the GT is the F40 or F50. There are very few cars that stir the soul like the GT.
I will have the F40 or F50 eventually, and will keep the GT as well.
The GT goes to whichever son that wins the fight! :biggrin

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
"Sell it and get what?"

Exactly!!

I've wanted this car since it was first thought of, couldn't imagine having to (or wanting to) sell it. It's raining here at the moment, but I've just been out to check the GT's OK in the garage... bit cold, put the heating on, humidity 60%, switched on the 2nd dehumidifier. GT looks comfortable... :lol

SLF360

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
ROCMAN said:
Sell it and get what? The only car I want more than the GT is the F40 or F50. :biggrin

Go for the F40. I feel the same. My GT's a keeper for sure, and trying to manage a Reasonabless for a second one... Heritage, I guess is most justifyable.

I'll have these talks with 'the other half' this weekend (Probably wants me to buy her another appartment in return). Wish me luck, boys ! :rofl

I am sure the GT prices will go up in a few years. Keeps the keepers happy :thumbsup

Stefan

AtomicGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 12, 2006
Los Angeles
White Petunia, I have the same problem, move wife's car out of garage and get another GT is job number 1 :banana

AtomicGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 12, 2006
Los Angeles
These GTs are now part of history now, as time goes by, less will be available, some from attrition, some from being destroyed, some from whatever. I anticipate they will slowly move up in price and remember only 4038 produced.

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
DBK said:
Same reason, people who bought for investment and are freaking out prices are dropping. I think the majority of GT owners (certainly most here, I know I am) are in it for life.

Car prices dropping? Never!

or they are plain nutso... here is a guy that sold his GT before going to the city forum meeting...
http://www.filecabi.net/video/phtastic14a.html
...not to worry he bought a Corvette and has been accepted into their fold.
Stefan,,, did you buy the Bell Ranger yet? :lol It wasn't you, was it? :willy

TCT

Apr 24, 2006
Sorry to say guys, many people buy exotics, drive them for a while, get bored, and move on to the next ride.

For many...The GT is just one of many cars to choose from.

That along with 1000 other reasons people sell is why you see so many on the market right now. (Just like most other exotic's)

The Ford GT is a great car. I believe it is one of, if not the best the USA has put out in while.

What I don't agree with is the car holding it’s current value.
Not many (if any) US built sports car do. Especially ones what do not have any race history/successes.
Many dealers are already selling new ones under MSRP. The process has already started.

The HP wars are on BIG TIME and what you think is HOT now will be yesterday's news tomorrow.

The Vette and the Viper (just to name a few) IF they come out with newer lighter versions with 600++ HP....the GT prices will fall even further.

In the long run...sure. The car will be valuable.

It will though take about 7-10 years for the bleeding to stop. :bang

My guess in 3+ years a well kept low miles GT will be around 100 to 110K. (I know...run for the f***ing hills) :willy

Maybe in about 10 years the cars will steady out and even go up in value.

Then maybe in 20+ years you might see them going for more than what they sold for new but don’t hold your breath. :ack

Heck, electric cars and or alternate fuel cars may be the norm in 20+ years. So driving one of these gas powered cars may be illegal in many states anyway and your GT will be a dust collector. (oh the humanity) :ack

Sorry to pee in your soup but that a highly probable future.

So…just enjoy your GT’s NOW and forget about what you paid for it or what it will be worth tomorrow. If you get beat by something new GM or DC produces...then send it off to Heffners Performance for a TT upgrade and put yourself back on top.

Drive them when you can and if you worry about value...sell it now as you should have NOT purchased one in the first place.

:cheers

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Toby said:
Sorry to say guys, many people buy exotics, drive them for a while, get bored, and move on to the next ride.

For many...The GT is just one of many cars to choose from.

That along with 1000 other reasons people sell is why you see so many on the market right now. (Just like most other exotic's)

The Ford GT is a great car. I believe it is one of, if not the best the USA has put out in while.

What I don't agree with is the car holding it’s current value.
Not many (if any) US built sports car do. Especially ones what do not have any race history/successes.
Many dealers are already selling new ones under MSRP. The process has already started.

The HP wars are on BIG TIME and what you think is HOT now will be yesterday's news tomorrow.

The Vette and the Viper (just to name a few) IF they come out with newer lighter versions with 600++ HP....the GT prices will fall even further.

In the long run...sure. The car will be valuable.

It will though take about 7-10 years for the bleeding to stop. :bang

My guess in 3+ years a well kept low miles GT will be around 100 to 110K. (I know...run for the f***ing hills) :willy

Maybe in about 10 years the cars will steady out and even go up in value.

Then maybe in 20+ years you might see them going for more than what they sold for new but don’t hold your breath. :ack

Heck, electric cars and or alternate fuel cars may be the norm in 20+ years. So driving one of these gas powered cars may be illegal in many states anyway and your GT will be a dust collector. (oh the humanity) :ack

Sorry to pee in your soup but that a highly probable future.

So…just enjoy your GT’s NOW and forget about what you paid for it or what it will be worth tomorrow. If you get beat by something new GM or DC produces...then send it off to Heffners Performance for a TT upgrade and put yourself back on top.

Drive them when you can and if you worry about value...sell it now as you should have NOT purchased one in the first place.

:cheers

MOST OF US THAT BOUGHT A CAR, did so for the shear joy, not appreciation.
We know what a 360F1 is going for, when Ford said they would build 4000 of them and not 40 of them all the folks expecting appreciation understood what the score was. Meanwhile we are having fun with our rides. With all the bargains out there you may want to join us?

FlorIdaho Chris

Yeah, I've got one.
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
I've already forgotten what I paid. If you told me it was worth zip next week I wouldn't sell (either one) today. It's a toy. The value to me is not measured in dollars, it is measured in smiles. :thumbsup

50 BMG

Aug 3, 2005
AZ
ACRJoe said:
Because they're posers. Real car people which by and large frequent this forum, have absolutely no intention of ever selling their GT's. Posers need to move on to the next "keep up with the Jones car" whatever that might be.

WINNER!

And there will be nothing but more and more used examples for sale over the next 3 years.

Last edited:

SLF360

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Florida Chris said:
I've already forgotten what I paid. If you told me it was worth zip next week I wouldn't sell (either one) today. It's a toy. The value to me is not measured in dollars, it is measured in smiles. :thumbsup
Yes, right on Chris !

Smiles, and smiles back. They are nice too :wink

SLF360

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
50 BMG said:
WINNER!

And there will be nothing but more and more used examples for sale over the next 3 years.

INFORMATION TO THE PIT CREW (from GT cockpit):
Not so sure. It's not that type of buyer that I met so far having bought the car and posting here, buddy. It's not like just the latest Ferrari (those I get in and out of, for comparison), it's the ONE and not made anymore....

Enjoy the wait :thumbsup

Beach-GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 8, 2006
Seminole Florida
$100k?

$100K?...lets' see....I'd like a white one and a blue one to go with my red one. :banana