WHIPPLE TUNES - Add on to Fubars Fuel Thread

427Aggie

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 18, 2005
Frisco, Tx
Ok 3 hours sleep...HOLY CRAP I"M NOT 20 anymore :ack :eek :willy

we are checking into whats going on with the o2 reading. Under 17% load the sides of the engine are reading lean on driver then rich on pass then it just keeps swapping sides back forth back forth then it shows a good line for a second then back forth back forth. We are worried about it doing that at throttle and it hitting lean on the top end and roasting a motor so we are trying to figure out whats up.

737hp last night after the cat delete and cold air kit running 22lbs of boost. Thats 90deg amb with 70% hummidity and the car was getting hot so we were loosing 2-4 deg timing. I'm going to let Fubars car get tuned today while Archie calls SCT on the o2 issue. When Marks gets done I'm going to drive over to the dyno he's running his on and we are going to see if its a dyno issue..who the hell knows.. but this combination should be 800 or over.

Any suggestions on the o2 problem? We are seeing it in the cars computer and on the rear o2's which are being read independently by 2 systems so we know they are right. Oh god I have a headache :eek

tmcphail

GT Owner/Vendor
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 24, 2006
St Augustine, Florida
Can you shoot me a log when this was occurring ?

427Aggie

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 18, 2005
Frisco, Tx
Torrie if you still have Archie's email just shoot him one and he will send over the OBDII logs from his laptop. I'll call him as well to make sure.

And what were you doing with Soroush last night you down in Houston?

tmcphail

GT Owner/Vendor
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 24, 2006
St Augustine, Florida
Torrie if you still have Archie's email just shoot him one and he will send over the OBDII logs from his laptop. I'll call him as well to make sure.

And what were you doing with Soroush last night you down in Houston?

I'll email him. I have been in Houston staying at Sanjay's since Friday night. Had a dyno day here last Saturday and have been tuning cars non stop

427Aggie

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 18, 2005
Frisco, Tx
SHit if we don't get anywhere I may be going to Goliad via Houston :)

tmcphail

GT Owner/Vendor
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 24, 2006
St Augustine, Florida
SHit if we don't get anywhere I may be going to Goliad via Houston :)

Just don't start yelling at me about the pitfalls of the BAP I'll kick knowledge right back to you in the opposite direction fast :lol

427Aggie

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 18, 2005
Frisco, Tx
Bap seems to be running fine and the last run I was told we were at 67% duty on the injectors...oh and I know the pitfalls of BAP. This is just to do the mile then the stuff comes back off.

tmcphail

GT Owner/Vendor
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 24, 2006
St Augustine, Florida
Bap seems to be running fine and the last run I was told we were at 67% duty on the injectors...oh and I know the pitfalls of BAP. This is just to do the mile then the stuff comes back off.

I am the polar opposite of you in that regard. Breakdown the failure rate for me I would like to see it. That device doesn't scare me I can count on 0 hands how many problems I have had with a multitude of them.

427Aggie

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 18, 2005
Frisco, Tx
I don't disagree with ya Torrie. I just don't see any need to continue to run it since I'm going back to the 19lb and 93 octane after the mile so I shouldn't need the extra fuel. The pitfalls are what everyone talks about when they say you shouldn't do it, not saying it will its just an means to an end in this case.

tmcphail

GT Owner/Vendor
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 24, 2006
St Augustine, Florida
I don't disagree with ya Torrie. I just don't see any need to continue to run it since I'm going back to the 19lb and 93 octane after the mile so I shouldn't need the extra fuel. The pitfalls are what everyone talks about when they say you shouldn't do it, not saying it will its just an means to an end in this case.

Since that works out good for you it does equally for me !

Yukonranger

GT Owner
Jun 9, 2008
Sagle, ID
I have to weigh in on the airbox issue. I placed a MAP sensor connected to a LM-2 O2 monitor on the port on the bellows and recorded a full throttle pull. The pressure did not drop at all. There is no restriction at least with a pulley. Obviously there is a point where the air inlet system will be a restrictino but I don't think anybody has actually measured where that might be (???). Likewise before accepting that the airbox is heating the incoming air you need to log the inlet air temp with the car in motion. I haven't looked but the OBED port might output inlet temp...anybody know?

Waldo

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 7, 2005
Fort Worth, TX
Originally Posted by Waldo
With the 4.0 liter Whipple, my fuel pumps hit 100% duty cycle at 6500 rpm. That's with 19 pounds of boost and tuned for 93 octane. The end result was 737 rwhp and 668 lbft of torque.

are you running the stock headers, cats and exhaust?

My gal has the stock headers, stock cats, and an Accufab X-Pipe.

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
I have to weigh in on the airbox issue. I placed a MAP sensor connected to a LM-2 O2 monitor on the port on the bellows and recorded a full throttle pull. The pressure did not drop at all. There is no restriction at least with a pulley. Obviously there is a point where the air inlet system will be a restrictino but I don't think anybody has actually measured where that might be (???). Likewise before accepting that the airbox is heating the incoming air you need to log the inlet air temp with the car in motion. I haven't looked but the OBED port might output inlet temp...anybody know?

I measured vacuum before and after the filters and only got about 1.5 - 2lbs difference. Much less than I was expecting but there is something to be gained there. I think the bigger gain (in rich and Dennis design) is air velocity. It will just travel down the pipes betters. The same reason you would use long stacks over short stacks on a weber setup.

kumar

GT Owner
Jan 31, 2007
Dallas
are the TTs using a boost pump to increase fuel supply?

I ran out of fuel somewhere between 1020 and 1050whp. Stock fuel system.

Mullet

FORD GT OWNER
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 21, 2008
Houston Texas
I ran out of fuel somewhere between 1020 and 1050whp. Stock fuel system.

That's pretty much the consensus from what I have heard.

kumar

GT Owner
Jan 31, 2007
Dallas
While we're on the Whipple discussion, are there any other Boost Gauge options other than the $1,400 OEM look alike replacement. I wouldn't even mind a gauge in the engine compartment seen through the rear view mirror or one that registers the max boost and stays there for inspection after the fact, instead of resetting back to zero when the engine is shut off.

I have my digital boost controller mounted in the same location as the OEM boost gauge.

boostgauge2.jpg

This video gives you a decent idea of what you see from inside the car: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eH1NaQroy6Y

I'm kinda burned out on the car stuff at the moment but hopefully I'll post the build info on my car in the spring. We're doing a 1500hp fuel system and I drive my car everywhere so livability on a daily basis is definitely a must.

kumar

GT Owner
Jan 31, 2007
Dallas
Matt, did you get everything resolved?

427Aggie

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 18, 2005
Frisco, Tx
Not yet. We took the car over to Dallas mustang this afternoon and put it on their Dyno and Archie is going to run it first thing in the morning. We need to get Marks car back on there ASAP as they resolved the issue he had late in the day. I can tell you from just driving it from Plano to Garland that DBK's ass o meter was feeling something WAY different. That car was pulling HARD and it just ran right up to the top end...oh and its LOUD!

I should know hopefully no later than 10 in the morning. We are trying to load up and be on the road by 3pm but may not make it till Thursday morning. I just don't want to do an 8 hour slog down to Goliad so we were going to stop in College Station for the night and break it up to 2 good chunks. I'll post when I find something out.

We also didn't get any answer on why the o2's keep reading lean rich and switching sides on which ones lean and which ones right but it was only doing it at 2300 with 17% load. Waiting on SCT to get back to us.

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
I think we got Matts problem fixed and he should have his 200mph tee shirt in 2 more days.

Mullet

FORD GT OWNER
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 21, 2008
Houston Texas
I think we got Matts problem fixed and he should have his 200mph tee shirt in 2 more days.

fanfreakintastic