whipple 4.0

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
Thank you for the input. The information about the superchargers is both interesting and informative. If you guys have anything else that might be useful in "tweeking" the fuel on this system, please chime in.

I think that I am going to use the "Boost-A-Pump" and closely monitor the A/F (as I have one of Shadowman's in-dash A/F meters). If anything looks out of line I will report here and look at new pumps. However, I take Rich & Dennis' advice very seriously and I will avoid the braking open the gas tank unless all my other options are unsuccessful.

Looking forward to more power.

Regards,
Fubar

kumar

GT Owner
Jan 31, 2007
Dallas
Good luck. I spoke to two guys that I trust with Ford stuff and they both suggested the boost a pump route first.

Heffner Performance

*Supporting Vendor*
Supporting Vendor
Feb 22, 2006
I agree with Rich. We have used the boost a pumps in the past and they work well. We have also gone into the tank and installed different pumps. You do not want to go there.

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
Top Fuel horse power?

A good 1471 at 55psi on a current top fuel motor takes between 900-1100hp depending on the overdrive!!!!!

Dustin,

With a Top Fuel Supercharger consuming 1000+ HP, what is your estimate of the RWHP of todays best nitro burning Funny Car engines? I've heard 6000+ HP but have read wildly varying estimates.

Chip

Whipple Charged

Dec 9, 2005
Dustin,

With a Top Fuel Supercharger consuming 1000+ HP, what is your estimate of the RWHP of todays best nitro burning Funny Car engines? I've heard 6000+ HP but have read wildly varying estimates.

Chip

I calculated it one time to approx. 6500-7000hp @ 9000rpm.

Whipple Charged

Dec 9, 2005
Thank you for the input. The information about the superchargers is both interesting and informative. If you guys have anything else that might be useful in "tweeking" the fuel on this system, please chime in.

I think that I am going to use the "Boost-A-Pump" and closely monitor the A/F (as I have one of Shadowman's in-dash A/F meters). If anything looks out of line I will report here and look at new pumps. However, I take Rich & Dennis' advice very seriously and I will avoid the braking open the gas tank unless all my other options are unsuccessful.

Regards,
Fubar

Fubar,

No problem. I'm actually somewhat baffled at the fuel system. Gotta look at the facts, the SC is turning approx. 2000rpm slower to make the same boost, its taking less HP to operate, as evident in the power vs. boost. I've made 790rwhp (with gen2), but have to admit, I can't remember psi (the fact that I can't remember leads me to believe it was ok) and I ran it on the street with no issues. If the SC took more HP to drive than the 3.3 to make 20psi, then it would have less RWHP. The fact is, we've free'd up rwhp but the fuel system is maxxing out. The air charge is denser, thus more HP but it also requires more fuel.

Did you run it on the street? Did it sputter @ WOT? Is FP duty cycle get to 50%. How far did the FP fall? Did you check with mechanical gauge or data log.

And either way, at this point I agree, BAP is the best option for increased flow. Just hope we can find an issue before that.

Thanks,
Dustin

Last edited:

dealmaker

GT Owner
Sep 30, 2006
England
Guys,

couple of questions:

1) does the 4.0L come "polished" as standard? not bothered about polish as such - jsut didnt want a black one!!

2) does it come with everything else you need like a pulley etc? (I already have a tuner and a throttle body etc)

3) if i'm not really attempting to push the boundries - will standard fuel system/pump be OK - or will I also need one of these pump boosters??

Thanks

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
You will need a Diablo Mafia MAF expander also. They will send you one with the kit. If you are not interested in pushing the upper limits of pumps gas, I would look at the Gen 2 Whipple.

As for the fuel issue, wait a week or two for a few more of the units to get installed and tested. Then we will have more information. I used a 19lbs pulley I am pretty sure they make a 17lbs pulley. That would likely not run into fuel problems.

dealmaker

GT Owner
Sep 30, 2006
England
Fubar,

amny update on this? How are you doing now with the 4.0Litre?

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
Nothing to add yet, I am waiting for my fabricator to get back in town, he will install the Boost-A-Pump. I will do another dyno tune after that. I promise to keep you guys in the loop.

Namor

GT Owner
Apr 5, 2008
London, UK
I'm interested in upgrading to a new Whipple and was expecting for the first few 4.0ltr versions to be installed by now and told how universally wonderful they are. Instead the 4.0ltr trail appears to have ominously quiet. Are there still problems with the set up on the 4.0ltr? Is the 3.4ltr the better option? I've been chasing whipple direct on this but they've also gone silent on me.
Can anyone shed any light on the situation?

thanks

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
If I've been reading all the posts correctly, the 4.0 creates some challenges with regard to fuel pump/injector capacity.

IOW, if you want to keep all else the same without upgrading a bunch of fuel supply items and just wanna upgrade the supercharger (and tune, of course) by itself, the 3.4 is evidently the way to go.

Hopefully someone will correct me if I've misstated anything here...

OzGT

GT Owner
Aug 21, 2006
South of Sydney, AUS
My big concern with a boost-a-pump is the device failing and I have no idea that it failed. I really don't like having two fuel pumps either. One can fail and you wouldn't notice because it would drive around (light load) fine. However it would go lean when you pushed it. I guess it is just a problem I'll have to live with.

Regards,
Fubar

Good luck. I spoke to two guys that I trust with Ford stuff and they both suggested the boost a pump route first.

Nothing to add yet, I am waiting for my fabricator to get back in town, he will install the Boost-A-Pump. I will do another dyno tune after that. I promise to keep you guys in the loop.

I'm not anti boost-a-pump, but I have to mention that I had one on my '03 Cobra at the time it blew up on the dyno in the middle of being tuned. Even though that may not be the direct cause, it does make me a tad leery about the idea of using them with the GT. I know the tuner at the time refused to reincorporate one back in the system when doing the rebuild. I have diff tuner now, so thoughts may be different there. I may be in the same boat here shortly when my 4.0 turns up in the next few weeks.

dealmaker

GT Owner
Sep 30, 2006
England
Well my 4.0Litre will be on the water by close of play today.

Hoping to have it installed by end of the month.............by which time I'm hoping there's more data around on fueling etc.

..seems the 4.0Litres is making around 40hp more than the GenII - everywhere on the rev range - so a worthwhile decision for me to get this over the 3.4 - in time - probably a couple of months - and with dyno/road experience - tuners will learn how to get the most out of it.

If you currenlty have a GenII - then probably a marginal call to consider upgrading. If you are upgrading from stock then why wouldnt you go for the latest and greatest?

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
The BAP is installed and working fine. I have not dyno'd the car sense install but my internal A/F meter says everything is working as intended.

I have a new issue which I think is isolated to my car. When I go though a hard pull and shift into the next gear I will loose boost. The car will only report 10lbs of boost and the boost stays down until I lift out of the throttle. This means it will continue to be anemic for the duration of the gear if I stay in it. I suspect the BBV is staying open for some reason, it is either defective or set incorrectly. Once that issue is resolved I will be ready for the mile.

I think I have posted up my first dyno charts with the new whipple. It is fantastic machine. I think it is probably the limit was are going to see on supercharger options.

Incidentally, I handed a SL65Black series his ass yesterday. If you're thinking that is not a car worth bragging about... lookup the stats. It was blisteringly fast.

dealmaker

GT Owner
Sep 30, 2006
England
The BAP is installed and working fine. I have not dyno'd the car sense install but my internal A/F meter says everything is working as intended.

I have a new issue which I think is isolated to my car. When I go though a hard pull and shift into the next gear I will loose boost. The car will only report 10lbs of boost and the boost stays down until I lift out of the throttle. This means it will continue to be anemic for the duration of the gear if I stay in it. I suspect the BBV is staying open for some reason, it is either defective or set incorrectly. Once that issue is resolved I will be ready for the mile.

I think I have posted up my first dyno charts with the new whipple. It is fantastic machine. I think it is probably the limit was are going to see on supercharger options.

Incidentally, I handed a SL65Black series his ass yesterday. If you're thinking that is not a car worth bragging about... lookup the stats. It was blisteringly fast.

Fubar,

Thanks for the update - hopefully you will soon resolve the BBV issue.

Can you do me a big favour and post details of the Boost a Pump - i.e the specification and where I can buy one ? (not so easy to get them over here in England!) - I might buy one just to be on the safe side.

All further updates welcome for us fledgling members of the "4.0 Litre club!"

Thanks!

Fast Freddy

GPS'D 225 MPH
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 5, 2005
Avondale, Arizona
If I've been reading all the posts correctly, the 4.0 creates some challenges with regard to fuel pump/injector capacity.

IOW, if you want to keep all else the same without upgrading a bunch of fuel supply items and just wanna upgrade the supercharger (and tune, of course) by itself, the 3.4 is evidently the way to go.

Hopefully someone will correct me if I've misstated anything here...

if you keep the boost at 16 psi max on the 4.0 you will not have to upgrade the fuel system. its only when you run 20+ PSI of boost that you have to upgrade the fuel system on the 4.0

The 4.0 is better than the 3.4 because it runs cooler :thumbsup

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
if you keep the boost at 16 psi max on the 4.0 you will not have to upgrade the fuel system. its only when you run 20+ PSI of boost that you have to upgrade the fuel system on the 4.0

The 4.0 is better than the 3.4 because it runs cooler :thumbsup

This is true on both counts. The 4.0L has cooler downstream temps and I am running 20lbs of boost. I am looking for best "pump gas" performance out of a supercharged GT. Hopefully I will be able to run 200mph at the Texas mile.

I got mine directly from Keene Bell

I will pst pictures of the install when I get them. You will need the Dual System... 20v I believe.

dealmaker

GT Owner
Sep 30, 2006
England
This is true on both counts. The 4.0L has cooler downstream temps and I am running 20lbs of boost. I am looking for best "pump gas" performance out of a supercharged GT. Hopefully I will be able to run 200mph at the Texas mile.

I got mine directly from Keene Bell

I will pst pictures of the install when I get them. You will need the Dual System... 20v I believe.

Fubar,

I ordered the "19 PSi" pulley - does this mean I won't have any fueling issues?

Thanks!

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
Well, technically I did not run short on fuel. As my car reached peak RPMs 6200+, the computer logged a drop in fuel pressure. The computer compensated for the drop in fuel pressure by adding "duty cycles" to the fuel injectors. If you watch the A/F line on my dyno chart... it never even flenched. However, I wanted to add a level of insurance to that system so I elected to use the BAP. You could also let the system use its correction tables and not worry about it.

When I ordered my Whipple they offered a 17lbs pulley and a 19lbs pulley. I ordered the 19lbs pulley... it just makes closer to 20lbs.