whipple 4.0

Namor

GT Owner
Apr 5, 2008
London, UK
Any more tips on 4ltr set up very much appreciated (eg will standard fuel pump suffice?).

How many have been installed so far? has anyone done any serious testing/mileage with it? is it to early to say whether the set up is now fully sorted? how long did it take for 3.4ltr set up to be perfected?

I really want to buy a 4.0ltr but cautious that set up is still work in progress.

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
I think there are solutions for all of the problems that have been encountered so far.

A custom tune is a must IMHO. This needs to be done by someone who knows the Ford software well and also looks at all of the variables. That will tell you the status of the fuel system. The 4.0L with a 19/20lbs pulley is teetering on the edge of the stock fuel supply system. It is likely beyond the stock air supply systems capability. What I mean is, you improve the stock air supply system I suspect you would see considerable HP gains.

The folks who have purchased the 4.0L Whipple are not the type to wait for these improvement so you can expect to see many different solutions.

It just depends on what you want to do with your car.

Last edited:

Namor

GT Owner
Apr 5, 2008
London, UK
thanks for your wise counsel. sounds like I'm better off waiting a while longer then.

Lorenzo

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 28, 2008
U.S.A.
Whipple is no longer makeing the old version, when i bought mine there were only three left and i was told
" That's It" :eek

Black GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 2, 2006
No more 3.4L?

Lorenzo

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 28, 2008
U.S.A.
No more 3.4L?

That's what i was told. :frown Mabie i was misinformed? :confused

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
As an update to this thread. I believe I have solved my problems with boost loss at high RPM shifts. It was most likely the bypass valve device needing more tension in the closed position. I am sure that Whipple was having problems reproducing the problem as they instinctively load the spring on the bypass valve.

The intake could be freed up to find more power but I think that is true regardless of the 4.0L, 3.4L or stock blower. If you are on the fence about the Whipple because of previous issues, just write the check and enjoy the ride. You will not regret it. (unless you want to race a twin turbo)

kumar

GT Owner
Jan 31, 2007
Dallas
I know Autograf (Autograph??) in Texas had a custom air intake on their Ford GT but I sent them an email about it months ago but got no response.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3hUA5TBnAA