Oct 5, 2005
Wellington, FL
Spirit said:
???????????????????

Doc,

I enjoy your posts. :biggrin

But, how bout in English? :wink

Better yet in Texican!! :willy

That way us 'slower' folks that drive funny lookin colored cars can understand what's bein said. :bang

:confused :eek :thumbsup :ack :rolleyes :skep

:cheers

LOL

Rob

STUNTS

FORD GT OWNER & LITTLE TIMMYS DAD!
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 5, 2006
SoCal
OK!!! Hobbies, professions(Spelling).. maybe all the same maybe not. You can obviously tell what I do for a living by my call sign. I have been an athlete all my life. It has always been a passion of mine, sports or any kind of athletics. I went to school to become an architect. During my 2nd year I was hired by Sea World and went to ski for them for a number of years. I left behind a Track Scholarship(polevaulter) to live my dream that I had had since I started waterskiing. Going pro was great and it led right into stunts. Income goes up and down but life is great. I truly love what I do. I may be an out of shape professional athlete now but I still work and get the job done. I still have athletic hobbies that I love. I am not the testosterone filled guy that you might think one in my profession to be. I am calm cool and reserved and will be in this profession until the day I die. I am on the plan to not have to depend on anyone by the age of 45 but I know my work ethics or A.D.D. and that's why I'll work until my last days. I may not be the norm but I hope that I am. We all no the saying, "Do what you love and you'll never have to work another day in your life." :cheers

eshrink

GT Owner
May 21, 2006
Spirit:

I was saying that most of the GT owners in this setting are educated, and by age 25, have a firm sense of professional direction, well-implemented earlier in life than most people....thus, the expensive car(s).

Most people here have not mortgaged the farm in order to buy the car; it is an extension of where they were headed professionally.

There are likely exceptions...those who merely, and repeatedly, buy impulsively and have trouble delaying gratification. They have no true gameplan to life, and this catches up with them later.

Exceptions like Buffet, Gates, Jobs et al. were thrust into such success...so early that they had not opportunity to establish a goal. To wit, their goal established them.

The exception is Paul Allen who was derailed by his Hodgkin's Disease and when he re-entered his career, he had a firmer sense of his own identity.

I suspect that few people here define themselves in terms of what car they have or what they do with leisure time. They are more likely to have a business or professional identity. Indeed, I note that several here have both.

- doc

Cyclenirvana

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 7, 2006
Winston-Salem, NC
I have always had a love for my job and an equal love for my hobbies (and they are distinct). For me, they are not the same, but each gives importance to the other. I would not enjoy exercise, adventure travel, and cycling as much if it were not for job...and I do not want to do anything all of the time. So, for me, I had to choose a career that also allowed me plenty of time to pursue my outside interests. My father has never had any hobbies that could not be classified as work (eg. cutting grass, beekeeping, etc)...I think people are healthier if they have time to pursue outside interests, and these interests do not necessarily have to earn an income or produce a worthwhile product. So, what am I saying?...everyone must decide for his/herself what is required to make them feel fulfilled. I need both work and hobbies. I need time for both. I can work hard, but I want maximum time off as well. I think that too often people are not totally honest with themselves in this regard. If someone told me that I could make 2 million dollars/year ,but I would have to work 100 hours/week and could only take 20 days of vacation/year...I would not take it. But this is me...you just have to be honest with yourself about what you are willing to do or not do...what is worth sacrificing?

Finally, I believe you have to "risk it". Not just in your job, but in your relationships. And I am not talking about doing stupid things but taking chances. Can someone divorce you? of course! Can someone die? of course. But you will never know love without giving all yourself...people who give "half ass" get half an ass!! I'll bet that everyone here has been cheated, dumped on, done wrong, etc. at least once. Life is like eating in the school cafeteria...everyone does it and, at least every other day, you will get something you don't like. But you keep trying and you keep giving your all!

Spirit

Heritage GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
:troll

Doc,

I am just funnin ya. :biggrin

I agree with your assessment, and it was very well put.

Who knows where I might be today if only I had had the benefits of your knowledge and insights in my younger days.

But then again, I am enjoying where I am, so it is really irrelevant isn't it?

:cheers

eshrink

GT Owner
May 21, 2006
Scott:

Very well said. Extremely.

Spirit:

Do any of us have wisdom in our youth? There is no doubt that "youth is wasted on the young." When you are young, you squander it engaging in meaningless activities.

Then you wonder why life passes so quickly.

I like the Roy Clark song..."Yesterday, When I Was Young."

- doc

STUNTS

FORD GT OWNER & LITTLE TIMMYS DAD!
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 5, 2006
SoCal
Cyclenirvana said:
I have always had a love for my job and an equal love for my hobbies (and they are distinct). For me, they are not the same, but each gives importance to the other. I would not enjoy exercise, adventure travel, and cycling as much if it were not for job...and I do not want to do anything all of the time. So, for me, I had to choose a career that also allowed me plenty of time to pursue my outside interests. My father has never had any hobbies that could not be classified as work (eg. cutting grass, beekeeping, etc)...I think people are healthier if they have time to pursue outside interests, and these interests do not necessarily have to earn an income or produce a worthwhile product. So, what am I saying?...everyone must decide for his/herself what is required to make them feel fulfilled. I need both work and hobbies. I need time for both. I can work hard, but I want maximum time off as well. I think that too often people are not totally honest with themselves in this regard. If someone told me that I could make 2 million dollars/year ,but I would have to work 100 hours/week and could only take 20 days of vacation/year...I would not take it. But this is me...you just have to be honest with yourself about what you are willing to do or not do...what is worth sacrificing?

Finally, I believe you have to "risk it". Not just in your job, but in your relationships. And I am not talking about doing stupid things but taking chances. Can someone divorce you? of course! Can someone die? of course. But you will never know love without giving all yourself...people who give "half ass" get half an ass!! I'll bet that everyone here has been cheated, dumped on, done wrong, etc. at least once. Life is like eating in the school cafeteria...everyone does it and, at least every other day, you will get something you don't like. But you keep trying and you keep giving your all!

Nicely said, well put :thumbsup