What do you GT owners do for a Living?

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
Investment Banker
NY City
BA Economics

Best lesson from my Dad: "You like nice cars, well you got to do well in school and work. If not the used lot has a lot of Beetles." Hit the books and pavement night after that talk, and the GT got delivered to my highschool parking lot in July, 20 yrs after graduation to the day.

Hard work pays: all nighters in school, pounding the pavement with no job connections, 300 cold calls per day, taking risks in career, and saving hard.
Someone in some Ford literature advised its an "I've made it!" purchase. 100% agree.

Note: this is my first new car ever; used to buy flagship sports cars ( MB SL, BMW 6 series) at height of their depreciation (10-12 yrs old). I was 100% sure i would buy an exotic euro make (Lambo, Ferrari, Porsche) when the time came. Well the Ford GT team changed that fast.

Keep at it: All success stories have 100% in common. Hard, hard work. An a strong stomach. That all it takes.

Time for Happy Hour!

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
Roger Vincent said:
Steve,
So how's it working so far? :biggrin

Not so good, have you seen the price of gold?

BlackStorm

Sep 7, 2006
Houston, TX
It's intresting this thread came up, because I was just thinking about this same thing. Part of this is because I'm at that point where I have to figure out what path to take (second year of community college, finishing with an associates, then off to a proper university), and how to get there. It's that classic battle between what you like to do and what you want to make; of course that battle doesn't really start till you figure out what you truely like doing, and want to do. :shrug So it's an intresting topic of what others do, specifically those who make quite a bit of money.

Of course there are those born into money, which must be nice.

Either way, hard work is certainly an ingredient for true success stories, like the GT-owning kind of success stories.

Red Rocket

GT Owner
Aug 31, 2006
Pacific North West
personal stories

eshrink said:
Roger:

he said don't let the car become a shrine, having more value than family or success in one's career. In other words, don't put it above the truly important things in one's life.

That is the most cogent point. When a hobby becomes an obsession and then valued beyond the creator of the object, you merely are a pawn within your own disordered thinking and the designers financial scheme.

It is just a car. It is no more than that. It is also a depreciating (for now and perhaps continuing) asset. It takes quite a bit of self-indulgence to toss about such money in a cavalier fashion.

There are a variety of reasons (not mutually exclusive) why people do so:
a. I can do it painlessly so why not.
b. I am owed this object because I must be rewarded for going to school and/or working for so many years.
c. It is the most important thing in the world and has become my identity and the thing for which I shall forever be known and remembered
d. My pee-pee is quite tiny; this may help...I hope

We always hope that by the time a kid is 25 that he/she has his/her priorities straight, and perhaps the lesson that must be passed on is that "never value some possession more than you do the true legacy that you leave behind."

My ten year old said an interesting thing (within earshot) in response to a friend saying "Your dad must really love his GT." My son replied "Not at all...he likes the GT...but he loves me."

- doc

I think Josh has a legitimate question, and I recall being just as inquisitive when I was younger - it's great to have dreams Josh, just don't let them overwhelm your life or frustrate you if you can't have all you want.

This part of the above quote - "he said don't let the car become a shrine, having more value than family or success in one's career. In other words, don't put it above the truly important things in one's life.[/I] That is the most cogent point. " - I agree with that. First one must have taken care of the basics, most importantly having an adequate home for yourself and family, and spend money on things like clothing and reliable transportation; and have built up some savings - THEN you can think about buying sports cars.

as for his "Reasons"; point 'a' is okay. As for the rest of the diagnosis Doc, I disagree. I assume it's tongue -in-cheek but notwithstanding this presents a slant on this which may suit some and describe them, but don't include me. You are basically describing a poseur and that's not me for sure.

Try to think outside your bias - some people also like cars because they are art on wheels and some of us are very mechanically minded so we appreciate exotics for their engineering achievement. We like to tinker with cars and fix them up; I have been doing that since I was 14 and it had nothing to do with some deep-rooted psychological feelings of inadequacy then or now. Some of us also have driving skills and like to practise those same skills; just like a good guitiarist loves his Strat and a good violinist plays for their own enjoyment too.

As it happens many of us are of an age when we remember, however vaguely, seeing the GT40 and thinking it was the most beautiful racecar made. So the opportunity to own a street version was irresistable. Personally I do not drive exotics because I want attention - I dislike the attention these cars get, and in fact the GT is unusual in that the attention it gets is crazy! But the difference in driving a well-engineered & powerful sports car is like the difference between a butter knife and a scalpel. One is just so much better and in the right hands can be a wonderful instrument. Anyone with a shred of sensitivity or discrenment has a great deal of trouble driving their 'regular' cars after experiencing a fine exotic. Its hard to go back. So for many of us well-adjusted types, supercar ownership is much more than just what you described IMHO. No hard feelings I hope.

Last edited:

Josiah

GT Owner's son
Sep 3, 2005
Roger, I've considered them all. I'm in my second year of JC as well and know many pilots in Delaware I keep in contact with on a regular basis. One is a product of the Naval Academy, the rest were lucky in one form or another and were given the opportunity. I don't rely on opportunity's. I am considering transferring to San Diego and enlisting in their AFROTC program there, and have always been a bit confused about the OTS route and what the requirements are to get in. I would love to chat with you in regards to your aviation with the AF. You have a pm.

My dream has been to fly commercially for an airline and have always enjoyed discussing the path leading up to this career. I am set on this career and continue working hard but having a career path on "reserve" is not a terrible idea either. I have an entrepreneurial side to me I flourish in, I am very quick and talented with computers but I often find when looking for a career, a lifestyle comes with. Real Estate has interested me as well and I am at a point where I feel the ability to accomplish anything I put my effort and interest into. Surrounding myself with allstar's is nothing short of a wonderful opportunity the internet brings and I am doing what I can to take advantage of the invaluable resources presented. The only allstar I currently am surrounded with is my buddy's brother, making 6 figures as a financial manager at a local dealership...all at the age of 21. Big home, nice cars, great wife and kid...he fell into this job out of highschool on his gift for speaking alone (top salesman 7 months in a row, then promoted). He has provided great help as far as direction and inspiration goes. I am addicted and have a good ear for this.

Fubar, wonderful. Networking is a great aid in success. This is the reason I posted here way back when, I was curious what other fields of interest are capable of generating a little more-than-decent income.

Eshrink, your ten year old is golden, and your humor is not too far behind.

Red Rocket, just replied to your PM. Nice to know you too looked for direction at my age, I'm very grateful to those who are so willing to help.

Last edited:

Spirit

Heritage GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
It's Not About The Money

For what it’s worth:

Focus on SUCCESS [whatever YOU define success to be], NOT THE MONEY.

The money will always follow success. Plus you will have the added benefit of enjoying the ride, not stuck in one of those “I hate what I do type spaces”. Too many people get stuck there due to their concern with, and focus on money.

Follow your heart, be true to your Spirit, and all will be as it is meant to be.

Philosophical BS?

Yea, maybe, but it is still true and it DOES WORK.

Cyclenirvana

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 7, 2006
Winston-Salem, NC
Interesting thread. Immediately following my graduation from high school, I was enrolled in business school at UGA. Within a few weeks of heading off to Athens, GA, I was out shooting basketball with my father when he said to me, "Scott, have you ever thought about medicine? You were always so good at science." My reply, "I just don't want to be in school that long." Remember, at 18 years of age, an additional 5 years seems like forever! My Dad, being the lawyer, replied, "I know it seems like a long time now, but it will pass quickly...you will not be behind anyone." Following my first semester, I changed majors to premed and never looked back. That included 4 years of college, 4 years of medical school, and 5 years of residency. My father was right...although many of my friends were already out in the workforce by the time I finished my training, I was not "behind" them. And I was doing what I love. For me (not others), my reason for being in business school was simply to earn money. Becoming a physician was what I wanted to do. Consequently, I love my job...and I make good money. It seems to me that most people whose goal is only to "make money" become neither wealthy or happy. Of course, one must be realistic, but this is just my observation.

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
I am under 40.

My dad's advice to me was "Son, you can do whatever you want." "As long as you can make a living at it, and as long as you're the best as it."

I've followed that and tried to have passion in everything I do.

My mom and dad never attended a 4 year college. But my dad was a lifelong artist, and earned a good living.

I double majored at a University of California College, worked throughout high school, college and law school, often multiple jobs with school. School was always a privelege to attend. I didn't love school, but felt I was fortunate to be able to attend. The loans eventually get paid off, and that is a great feeling. Plus, the rewards are well worth it. Compared to work, school was always comparatively easier, but equally important.

I always believed that education and research could teach you anything you wanted to learn, and I always worked through all aspects of school. Education is important, and so is work. I studied and took whatever test I needed to get to where I wanted to go. So, I have a Series 7 License, a Real Estate Broker License, State Bar license and advanced designations in various fields. Beyond the education and licenses, I believe I have made significant accomplishments in each respective field (in my own opinion. :willy ) And of course, involvement in the community and extra curriculurs. I thought that the life people had in graduate school would mirror the life they would eventually have. So, I tried to seek balance then and now. That's always the challenge.

Education helps provide a framework and work provides the ability to apply that knowledge. I've worked for non-profits, corporations, schools, and now I am partner of a real estate development corporation. I think balance is the key. Having a balance of knowledge and learning how to communicate and put it to use.

Oh, and watch the movie "RUDY" once in a while. Drive, determination, and focus will take you far.

Last edited:

Blue Moose

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 12, 2006
Chandler,Arizona.
And when you're young and starting out.... live beneath your means. Save, invest, save and then save some more. You don't need new and shiny and trendy - you need reliable, and sturdy and 'get-by' kind of stuff. So many people are in debt to their (overplucked) eyebrows. Pay attention to and define "needs" vs "wants" and make choices that will propel you to where you want to go, not get you stuck in immediate gratification.

As for occupation - I'm a garbage man :biggrin and I married my UPS man. We are in our 40s

Mrs. Blue Moose
(for the record, I manage 80+ garbage truck drivers)

canibl

GT Owner
Nov 22, 2005
Sacramento, Cali
Blue Moose said:
And when you're young and starting out.... live beneath your means. Save, invest, save and then save some more. You don't need new and shiny and trendy - you need reliable, and sturdy and 'get-by' kind of stuff. So many people are in debt to their (overplucked) eyebrows. Pay attention to and define "needs" vs "wants" and make choices that will propel you to where you want to go, not get you stuck in immediate gratification.

As for occupation - I'm a garbage man :biggrin and I married my UPS man. We are in our 40s

Mrs. Blue Moose
(for the record, I manage 80+ garbage truck drivers)

Hey Mrs. Blue Moose!
things aren't looking too good (or smell, for that matter) around here. The trash collecting company went on strike and I've got garbage from two weeks
ago.....could you send your trucks to Sacramento and take over ?...like an invasion or something and clean up this smelly mess? Garbage men already got a 10% pay increase from the city but apparently it isn't enough....I guess they all want to drive GTs!

Roger Vincent

GT Owner
May 31, 2006
Bowling Green, KY
SteveA said:
Not so good, have you seen the price of gold?

No, but I am familiar with the costs of divorce: assets minus liabilities divided by two and then 3/4 of all your dreams if you have any left. (Josh don't get married until late, late in life!)

bonedoc

GT Owner
Aug 15, 2006
Wichita, KS
I am 28
I am a chiropractor

My Cars are:
2005 GT 40
2002 Lotus Esprit
2006 Porsche Boxter S
2004 H2

I think people that are into cars may spend more than the rest. I think that any job may become old in time, so choose one that pays well and allows you to have as much personal time as possible. You know what makes money, so just go do it. People that don't, probably don't really care. I feel guilty sometimes because I make more and work less than anyone I know. It is a double whammy.

Blue Moose

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 12, 2006
Chandler,Arizona.
trash in Sacramento

Holy eggbeaters, Canibal - 2 weeks of garbage!?! That stinks! :ack Sounds like you've gotten a rotten deal. Time to learn to reduce, reuse, recycle, and mulch; I hope things pick up soon.
Mrs. Blue Moose
[I can come up with a few more puns if you like]

ENZO BTR

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 11, 2005
Southern California
If you can truly embrace the "anything is possible if you put your mind to it" line you're 90% of the way there. As mentioned already, it sounds like philosophical BS, but it IS true.

Time passes quickly, so while setting your mind on a long-term goal might seem like the recipe for long-term frustration, you'll always be shocked at how quickly things happen. I called my Ford contacts 24 hours after the GT was announced for production (March 2002) and I picked mine up on August 23rd, 2005 (at MSRP, ordered the way I wanted it). That's 3.5 years of "putting my mind" to something, and now the wait seems like the blink of an eye, but the ownership experience just keeps getting better.

BTW, August 23rd, 2005 was almost exactly 11 years from the time I left Denver to start working in Los Angeles for $17,000 a year (at age 24) as an editorial assistant for Petersen Publishing (on Hot Rod Magazine). But I had one thing going for me -- I loved my work. That, plus a great woman who inspired me to make the most of myself, got me my GT at age 35. And like I said, those first few years of Mac and Cheese dinners to make ends meet now seem like a miniscule price to pay.

Take risks, work hard, have patience and never lose sight of your ultimate dreams.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
A lot of good advice on this board! Pursue what you love to do with a passion, be the best in you chosen field. That should be your primary goal. The money that may follow is a side effect of this. If money is your primary goal you probably will never achieve the wealth you desire and will be unhappy even if you do. If you truly pursue what you love to do, the money will follow in time and even if it doesn't, you will be happy with the journey and your life.

I was a pre-med student, following the crowd at the time. I didn't go to med school, but instead entered the computer field which I had an aptitude for and loved to do. When people ask how did I "retire" so soon, I jokingly reply, fortunately for me, I was too dumb to get into med school. Of course, if medicine is the thing you love, pursue it, but don't chase careers base on statistical income levels, things change in time and you can never predict what will be hot in the future.

BlackICE

eshrink

GT Owner
May 21, 2006
BlackIce:

You were fortunate in that you had the support to look at career alternatives.

My observation is that most of us enter college between 17 and 19, and for the most part, do not have a clue as to an academic direction. If dad is a dentist, perhaps you will go that direction. If dad is an attorney, you have a high probability of going into medicine.

In either case, it is rare for your professors to be inspiration since they have, by definition, decided to teach it rather than to be it.

13 years later you are doing what you were trained to do, but you may have more passion for widget manufacturing, mud flap valve design or stochastic processes. Instead of doing what you would discover that love at 35, you are practicing divorce law or dealing with gum disease.

I wager that few follow their dreams; that is why we have these things called "hobbies." And it is also why people become so (overly) invested in these hobbies. I suspect that Jay Leno sees the tonight show as a means to an end but the end itself is his car passions. I doubt that Bill Gates ever truly enjoyed computers.

I suspect that for many, hobbies are a distraction from the reality that they have cheated themselves out of the lives they would have wanted had they had the luxury of spending the first 10 years out of school wandering among careers until one struck their fancy.

- doc

Big Carrot

GT Owner
May 13, 2006
Dallas
I saw an infomercial that changed my life! I work from home stuffing envelopes. I've gotten really good at licking and stuffing, so I do very well. It also helped my sex life.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
I never planned on a computer profession. I just finished my 4 year degree in double majors in biophysics and econ, but my grades were too low to get into any decent med school. I didn't have a clue about what I wanted to do. I bummed around my parent's home while being pressured to get a job! Luckily I got a job with a very small company that need programmers to run simulation models on options trading, during the interview I discovered that the company was ran by my past statistics prof. at the university. I reminded him of my A performance in his class and I got the job and entered the computer field. I loved the work, people and the challenges. Working for almost 20 years in the software field before I starting a company of my own with the friends. The company was sold for some good pocket money. But even if I was still working for some computer company, it wouldn't be bad work, just not as much pocket money.

Hell I am still programming the many gizmos I have installed in my home and that is a full time job that will never end!

I agree that Bill Gates doesn't love computers, but I do believe he has a great passion for how computer technologies can change the world and had the vision and tenacity to bring products to the market that would inact the change. Bill didn't build product based on how it would affect the next quartery report, but rather had a longer term plan on how to dominate market segments in the long run. Hell Windows as a dog for many years, before becoming a mkt success.

BlackICE

Last edited:

eshrink

GT Owner
May 21, 2006
BlackIce:

Uncertain about Mr. Gates. I suspect that he has never had a passion for technology or what it will do and more invested in strategic corporate planning and empire building. When you get to his stratospheric level of income possession, it may truly be difficult to determine if there is any philanthropy that can be differentiated from megalomania.

In either case, the victims of our society are those for whom age did not bring a true identity, merely more play activity and nonproductive expenditure.

I suspect that the constituency here, the truth thread, largely has individuals who have placed productivity and legacy far above poor-impulse-controlled purchases and other hedonistic activities.

That is: most here have great wisdom independent of age and profession...some may not be so informed.

- doc

Spirit

Heritage GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
WHAT?????

???????????????????

Doc,

I enjoy your posts. :biggrin

But, how bout in English? :wink

Better yet in Texican!! :willy

That way us 'slower' folks that drive funny lookin colored cars can understand what's bein said. :bang

:confused :eek :thumbsup :ack :rolleyes :skep

:cheers