What are you listening to

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
My wife bitching at me, but thanks for asking.

:rofl :rofl :rofl

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
I just bought a decent set of B&W's to rock the house with. My neighbors better be ready to party :banana:biggrin

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
I just bought a decent set of B&W's to rock the house with. My neighbors better be ready to party :banana:biggrin

Party On! :cheers:thumbsup:rofl:party

FlorIdaho Chris

Yeah, I've got one.
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter

Nice speaker choice. I've been listening to a pair of 802d speakers for years. I love them. I drive 'em with a Krell amp.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Why do I get the feeling alotta you guys will find yourselves saying, "HUHHHHH???...WhaaaaT???", a lot in a few years? :willy:willy:willy

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Nice speaker choice. I've been listening to a pair of 802d speakers for years. I love them. I drive 'em with a Krell amp.

That's a hell of a speaker. :eek I always wonder how big the market is for really really serious audiophile speakers. When you get into the "should I buy a Kia or a pair of fronts?" arena, there just can't be that many people...

S592R

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 3, 2006
That's a hell of a speaker. :eek I always wonder how big the market is for really really serious audiophile speakers. When you get into the "should I buy a Kia or a pair of fronts?" arena, there just can't be that many people...

I love music but my bose surround works great. If I ever build a perfect sound room ... then I might step up to that grade of speaker. Until then the room has more to do with my listening enjoyment than the speaker.

But then again .... I could just wear good earphones inside a simpson helmet and get there also. :biggrin huh?! what!? .... can't hear you...

FlorIdaho Chris

Yeah, I've got one.
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter

The problem is, once you hear a set you really want them. I went into the store looking for something a bit more reasonable and made the mistake of allowing the store manager to sit me in front of a pair of 802's. It was all down hill after that. Thank God he didn't have any 801's or Nautilus boxes on the floor. :lol:lol

The real excitement was when I got home and tried to explain to the Mrs why we just had to have a new "Kia" to park in the den...

S592R

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 3, 2006
The problem is, once you hear a set you really want them. I went into the store looking for something a bit more reasonable and made the mistake of allowing the store manager to sit me in front of a pair of 802's. It was all down hill after that. Thank God he didn't have any 801's or Nautilus boxes on the floor. :lol:lol

The real excitement was when I got home and tried to explain to the Mrs why we just had to have a new "Kia" to park in the den...

Did Kim just shrug her shoulders or did you have to discuss a trade? :willy

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit

I'm sure they sound amazing, but you really have to be into the way the Nautilus looks to even consider them. Personally? I would never have those viewable at my house. Francesca can't even stand the the tweeter on any of 800's. I can only imagine the decor a Nautilus legitimately fits in. Maybe if you live in a submersible deep in the Pacific. Then again, if you're gonna go "Lexus" instead of "Kia", I'm sure you can build a room to fit them.

I'd imagine the Krell amp sufficient to power a pair of 802D's was a Chevy Aveo (or two) in its own right. :lol I guess I'm gonna have to buy an amp because it's pointless to lug the massive multi-channel one I have out to power a pair of fronts. I hate to buy a stereo amp, but we just have no way to run the wiring for a theater system in here. Buying an expensive multi-channel makes no sense if it's gonna be obsoleted in a couple years without us ever using it. I think one of our FGT friends was given a McIntosh power amp for his house he doesn't use. Wouldn't that be a nice one to snag...

Did Kim just shrug her shoulders or did you have to discuss a trade? :willy

See post #20. :lol

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
But then again .... I could just wear good earphones inside a simpson helmet and get there also. :biggrin huh?! what!? .... can't hear you...

See post #25, Steve!:rofl

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
See post #25, Steve!:rofl

I've actually had to live with damaged hearing for about 12 years. I went through a battery of tests and they said I had no significant permanent hearing loss, but I've got tinnitus. Same pitch, 24 hours a day. I played in a lot of bands and went to a lot of shows when I lived in the UK, and I've paid for it. If you want to keep your hearing, don't drum everyday in a loft.

I went to a Weezer concert in 1996 in a really small venue with floor to ceiling speakers. The day before was the last time I ever went to sleep without my ears ringing. At first I didnt care, then I went through a period a couple years later where I seriously wanted to jump off the roof headfirst :lol At this point I always just sleep with a fan on or other white noise, and I don't even notice unless I think about it...

S592R

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 3, 2006
I've actually had to live with damaged hearing for about 12 years. I went through a battery of tests and they said I had no significant permanent hearing loss, but I've got tinnitus. Same pitch, 24 hours a day. I played in a lot of bands and went to a lot of shows when I lived in the UK, and I've paid for it. If you want to keep your hearing, don't drum everyday in a loft.

I went to a Weezer concert in 1996 in a really small venue with floor to ceiling speakers. The day before was the last time I ever went to sleep without my ears ringing. At first I didnt care, then I went through a period a couple years later where I seriously wanted to jump off the roof headfirst :lol At this point I always just sleep with a fan on or other white noise, and I don't even notice unless I think about it...

From 1985 to 1991 I shot over a 100,000 rounds of ammunition a year (training). .45, 9mm, 308, 7.62. 5.56 (you get the hint) often without hearing protection in one ear. From time to time I get a ringing in my ears still that sounds like a .45 report .... found out that the accufab exhaust at 2200 rpms brings the ringing on to a higher pitch. Now I just drive the car above that rpm and play music to avoid the "bells". Funny how we learn to cope with the stupidity of our youth. :bored

FlorIdaho Chris

Yeah, I've got one.
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
...I hate to buy a stereo amp, but we just have no way to run the wiring for a theater system in here. Buying an expensive multi-channel makes no sense if it's gonna be obsoleted in a couple years without us ever using it. I think one of our FGT friends was given a McIntosh power amp for his house he doesn't use. Wouldn't that be a nice one to snag...

As I am sure you know, buying a good amp is as important as a good set of boxes. One thing for sure, once you have it all set up I bet you spend some serious time just sitting and listening. Before my current setup my stereo was used as background noise while I worked or read a book. Now, I actually make the time to just sit and listen to good music. You sure do hear a lot more when you are 100% focused on the music.

Too bad you couldn't have convinced Francesca to let you add some audio gear to the registry...:lol

S592R

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 3, 2006
ok Chris are you a tube or solid state amp type of guy?

did this thread just get high jacked?

S

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State

WELCOME TO MY WORLD, SIR!!!:biggrin

24/7/365 ...ringing @ about 4K cycles.

For those of you who arn't THERE yet - wear ear protection doing ANYTHING involving noise.

('Would definately include turning down those "boom-ditty-boom" stereos, people! Waaaaaaaaaaay down. :cheers)

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
but I've got tinnitus. Same pitch, 24 hours a day. I played in a lot of bands and went to a lot of shows when I lived in the UK, and I've paid for it.

It's comforting to know I'm not the only one suffering from tinnitus...

I have a recording studio (and I shoot/hunt). I suspect a combination of these things have lead to the permanent white noise/hiss that I have. Very irritating! :frown

M

Mark O

ok Chris are you a tube or solid state amp type of guy?

did this thread just get high jacked?

S

The Tubes had a couple good tunes back in the day.

wpodcd.jpg

I now declare that this thread is now back on track. :biggrin

FlorIdaho Chris

Yeah, I've got one.
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter

I now declare that this thread is now back on track. :biggrin

OK, back on track. :cheers

Well, I almost hate to admit it, but I have been enjoying Amy Winehouse's recent album; Back to Black.

Omega_man

GT Owner 2005 #248
Mar 19, 2007
S. Florida
When in the GT or Murcie, I listen anything from my favorite band....600+hp. Never goes out of style!