What A Ford GT Was Made For!

cobrar1339

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 2, 2006
Diamond Bar, Ca
OK guys I will get to work on it.

As for the tracks. Each track is unique in the experience it offers.

At Cal speedway -The "Roval" course is the most fun for big power cars. This includes part of the front banked straight. It is the course the Grand AM guys run. I will run here 5/18 in this config. with another car. I will look to see what we can do to get this config. BTW is you went to the SAAC convention here that is the course the race groups ran.

The infield course is not a bad course, it's just shorter than the others.

In a school format these tracks are fine. But if you were planned to run super hard here, I do not like them as much because there is stuff to run into. In someone elses purpose built race car ,no problem though.

Streets of Willow - You may have seen this one in the TOP Gear test of the GTX1. Actually that vid is a compilation of the "Streets track and the big Willow track" at times he even runs them counter clockwise, which is almost never done.

This is the track where Danny McKeever trains the celebs for the Toyota grand Prix race. This track and Danny are always for hire. He is a good instructor for the personal instruction you mentioned. SCCA does it's super school here to license drivers. It is a great technical track that shows you 90% of the types of turns you would encounter. It is a lower speed track that will build your confidence without ever going over 100mph. There is also a skid pad that can be used in a school format. He has cars we can use vs. our own for this excercise.

There is nothing to run into here the way the track is configured.

Big Willow Springs - This is the "Fastest track in the West" you will average over 90 mph for the 9 turns. It is well groomed for high speeds and while it looks to be patched, the surface is ideal near perfect, there is only one place where you would notice anything at all. If you go to the Willow springs web site there is a turn by turn write up by John Morton.

Good high power track. Again nothing to run into here and some fairly clean run off areas. The track scares lots of folks in one section Turn 8-9. This would not be an issue in a school format. Our speeds would be on the 80-90's here. But in a lesser car at 20-30% more speed it gets real interesting.

I ran a test day here in my Z06 2 weeks ago and the track was in breat shape.

Buttonwillow - This is the one in the vid. I ran an enduro here about a month ago. The track is also in great shape. The transistions are not noticable at all. This is my favorite track. The speeds are lower than Big Willow over all, but more turns and more chance to experience the G's. The turns are most like the ones you may have run hard on the street. If you look at the vid watch the G's on the data logger. Most will feel they had a great time here even if they never pushed the car too hard.

Let me see what I can come up with. Availablity is the issue right now as we are late in the season.

I have run all these tracks in the last year the surfaces are very good. Cal Trans does not prep race tracks...Thank God.

BTW... I know how you may feel. The GT is the most expensive car I have ever bought off the showroom floor. I want to keep it looking great for 20 years. Only if the value takes a nose dive to the point where I would buy a second one, would I make it my track beater. That said, there is also not reason you can't take it out once in awhile and enjoy it. Kudos to Ed for all the inspiration. He is enjoying his car "What the GT was made for".

If you are looking to go to a racing school, or instructor I can give some insights on 4 different ones. Just PM me.

I will quit rambling now....

NY 05 GT 40

GT Owner
Apr 28, 2007
WOWWWWW! Is the suspension modified & if not is that an 05 or 06? It's definetly got the more slippery performance white paint making it faster than all other colored Ford GT's..We all know red & yellow add some drag coefficient....:wink

cobrar1339

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 2, 2006
Diamond Bar, Ca
Yes the slippery white cars like Ed's are the fastest.

Not sure about the drag, I did have a yellow car once, that attracted every bug know to man...That could add drag.

But science has proven the reflective and much cooler White helps reduce engine bay temps vs. a darker color. As you know from looking at IDAs site, the lower engine bay temps lead to more retained power levels when the car is warmed up. You can experience the difference yourself by getting into any Black car on a dealers lot and then a White car, should be over 20 degs on a sunny day. :rofl

Hammer

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 10, 2006
San Diego, CA
Cobrar1339 -- Thanks for looking into this. I'd love to be part of it.

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
What A Ford GT Was Made For - Again

I just returned from driving the GT at Buttonwillow Raceway near Bakersfield, CA. Neat track in the middle of nowhere. One more track down in my goal to drive the GT at every track (and drive it TO the track) in the Western USA.

I met Cobra R 1339 there. Thanks for the use of the rented garage at the track! With the 90+ deg temps it was nice & cool! I also met the GT owner whose GT caught fire at Buttonwillow recently. Cobra R was driving his Z06 (quite quickly) while the burned up GT owner was driving his Viper. I, of course, drove the ultimate weekend track weapon - the Ford GT!

It overheated at the end of the last session; but, other than that, it ran great. Fantastic car. I had an instructor that rode as a passenger to help me with the unfamiliar track & he said "Ford really did get it right with this car" after driving with me.

Here are a few photos of the GT & me at Buttonwillow June 23, 2007. Wish you were there!

Ed

P.S. Check out the Whipple behind my head!

Attachments

• Buttonwillow 1.JPG
    Buttonwillow 1.JPG
    39.7 KB · Views: 204
  • Buttonwillow 2.JPG
    Buttonwillow 2.JPG
    43.3 KB · Views: 202

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
almost forgot

It was a 520 mile round trip (plus 88 miles on the track) for this open track. I drove the GT down I-5 with the passenger seat filled to the roof with all my track stuff & did it on my Hoosier R6s. It sure was fun!

Ed

PS I hit 10,000 miles on the odo on the track!

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Congrats ED, tell us about the overheating... Glad you had a super time. I was up to my elbows in work, way to hot to go watch you guys have fun.

cobrar1339

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 2, 2006
Diamond Bar, Ca
The GT just looks stunning on the track, either from behind or in the rear view mirror. I was in the Silver C5 Zo6 in one of the pics. The big whipple is very noticable from either view as well.

When the pedal goes down that thing just takes off. I was able to get the power down earlier in the Z06, that would allow me to close the gap, but then it was like he hit the NOS switch .........zoom. :eek

His brakes were incredible, so much so that I had to be very careful. If you follow one of these, be warned!. Use your braking zone, do not use the GT as a braking point for reference. He would stop on a dime and my ABS was going off making all kinds of noise.

This is the only on track reference I have, but with his Penskes, the car barely moved side to side. It did move, but comapred to others it was a very low curve. It would squat just enough to notice on accel ( good thing ), yet there was no noticable dive on braking. ( next time i will bring the camera mount for some in car)

The sound of the IDA exhaust has a lot of authority. I suppose the other tube styles would be very similar.

The config we ran was Race 1CCW. This is one of the tightest slowest configs. Not slow in the sense you feel like you are going slow, but just a ton of turns (23 I think). You are busy all the time in this config. Not much of a place for the GT to really open up and stretch her legs.

The 14CW config is the fastest config IMO. So this IMO would be the worst case scenario, 100 deg day, last session of the day and had to cut it short about half way. Also on a very tight track with lots of traffic and dirty air. I was still on the track, but the car did not dump water until it was parked in the pits. It sprays out of the cap as there is no overflow tube. He let her cool, put water in and she was fine from what I saw. Must be as he drove over 200 miles home.

One final note: I was a nay sayer on the Hoosiers as a street tire to drive to the track. When he arrived I was shocked how clean they looked. No rocks or pebbles stuck in them or being thrown around. They did warm up good from the track. I think the balance of the car, light front end and improved RA6 compound ( Heat Cycled) is the difference. My eyes are opened.

I measured them with a durometer vs. others. They were just a couple points softer than a fresh scrubbed set of RA1 Toyos and about 20 points more than the F1's from my C5Z. I would have sworn these would never work for this purpose. But for as few miles as I drive I think this is OK, baring real dewey mornings and being pretty careful through any water puddles.

IMO They will not be as stickey from all the heat cycles when driving on the street, as they would as a dedicated track tire. But if you are not afraid to run RA1's on the street, this is not much different IMO. Not sure how they would look with a stock ride height, but they looked just right the way ED has it set up.

It was a hot, but fun day at the track. Ed thanks for the invite. We will see you at Thunderhill one of these days. The car looks Great !, lots of small but tasteful personalization adds that really give the car a lot of personality. At 10,000 miles it looks as good as cars I have seen with 1,500.

Cyclenirvana

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 7, 2006
Winston-Salem, NC
Just ordered the Brey-Kraus harness mounts, 2 black 6-pt Crow harnesses, and SCT black fire extinguisher with GT-mount from www.livemoreperformance.com. Steve was very helpful. Ed, thanks for posting this information! It's nice to find info and parts specific for our cars.
Scott

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
See you on at the track

You're welcome Scott. Have fun out there as the GT is unbelievable on the track!

Ed

FLASH

GT Owner/Board of Directors
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 29, 2006
Atlanta, Ga.
Cobrar1339,
How do you get all that data on the video? Is that part of the datacam? I also noticed that you had a camera pointing at the action behind you.
I have a Race Optics Camera setup and it has the ability to have up to four cameras going but I really like the info yours displays.
Flash

AtomicGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 12, 2006
Los Angeles
Great shots Dr. Ed, just think of all those cavities you filled to buy this GT, most excellent!

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Great shots Dr. Ed, just think of all those cavities you filled to buy this GT, most excellent!

Cavities are the slow way, root canals, crowns, bridges, implants and reconstructions. That is the way to go.

AtomicGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 12, 2006
Los Angeles
:party