What A Ford GT Was Made For!

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
I did my first open track with my T&A Penskes & Hoosiers! Whoa. The GT is an unbelievable car on the track. Unreal for a street legal car. I took it easy, drove at 7/10s & still clicked off 2:07s at the full Thunderhill track in Willows, CA (where the GT commercial was filmed with Rod Millen at the wheel).

By the way, the stock brakes & pads are extremely good. I am running the SVT rotors but either the stock or SVT (floating & lighter is the only diff) rotors are killer. Lots of 145 mph full brake apps & only slight fade during numerous 20 minute sessions. I started with new pads & after 1 1/2 hrs there is only moderate wear (I'll measure it but eyeballing it is around 1/3 wear). Anyone out there interested in trying out their GT in the environment it was made for - go stock as it will be fine. There are lots of posts here that make it seem that mods are needed for the track but it is not necessary. Tires & shocks are the mods that count the most to me. Everyone has their opinion.

Here are a few photos of me at Thunderhill at the HOD Open Track 4-20-07. I drove to the track & back (trailered cars suck!). The GT is The One!!!

Ed

Attachments

• MF1A0291.JPG
    MF1A0291.JPG
    55.5 KB · Views: 931
  • MF1A0775.JPG
    MF1A0775.JPG
    21.1 KB · Views: 941
  • MF1A0916.JPG
    MF1A0916.JPG
    59.7 KB · Views: 946
  • MF1A2082.JPG
    MF1A2082.JPG
    44.9 KB · Views: 1,105

Edson

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 28, 2007
Santa Monica
I plan on taking my GT on the track for the first time in a few weeks (willow springs). Did you put in harnesses or a transaxel cooler? Why did you change the shocks? Damn, that car looks really good on a track!

cobrar1339

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 2, 2006
Diamond Bar, Ca
WOW please send or post some hi-res pics.

The car looks great:thumbsup . Nice driving, clipping the apex:banana . In shot on the Z06 is right behind you, shot two has him way back.

How did the GT do compared the the Z?.
Your car looks like it is lowered, is that the hoosiers, adjustment or track compression....maybe all 3.

Any significance to number 97?.

I have yet to run thunderhill. Looks like a fresh clean track with nice evelation changes to keep it interesting.

everetto

GT Owner
Sep 4, 2006
Desert Southwest
Looking great Ed! Very nice shots and the car looks great. Yes, please, for those of us who love both - how did the Z do relative to the GT? Thanks for the pics! :cheers

p.s. I have spent a bit of money on my engine - now you will likely cause me to spend money on brakes, tires, and shocks (I know, some folks think that is the FIRST money that should be spent!)!

Kirby Vieira

GT Owner/B.o.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 22, 2005
Atlanta
It's easy to feel the excitement from these great shots. Thanks for sharing.

Gulf GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 9, 2006
California
Ed, the car looks great deep into the corners, very lowered, but still some ground clearance. Were there any issues of rubbing at all when she was pressed to the ground? There was some discussion about possible rubbing on lowered cars, which may have been a function of lowering with the T&A kit and stock shocks as opposed to the full T&A Penske setup. What ride height are you running with the Hoosiers, and how did you decide on it?

Last edited:

Gulf GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 9, 2006
California
In addition, Ed, I have seen several separate posts on your track set up modifications, i.e. harness install, extinguisher, Hoosiers, brakes... For the benefit of those of us who are just preparing our cars for the track, can you tell us specifically in one post what you have done to prepare in review. Thank you very much.

OCPETE

GT Owner
Nov 20, 2006
Killer Dana, CA
Nice pics Ed...White is fastest :thumbsup

isaakgt

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 20, 2005
Wilder, Idaho
Nice pics Ed...White is fastest :thumbsup

YES! This is a known fact. :biggrin

OCPETE

GT Owner
Nov 20, 2006
Killer Dana, CA
Worthy of screen saver even...:cheers :thumbsup

trackmeister

GT Owner
Jan 19, 2007
In addition, Ed, I have seen several separate posts on your track set up modifications, i.e. harness install, extinguisher, Hoosiers, brakes... For the benefit of those of us who are just preparing our cars for the track, can you tell us specifically in one post what you have done to prepare in review. Thank you very much.

I too would appreciate knowing this information :cheers

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
Ed's GT mods for the track

Thanks for all the kind comments all! Here is a list of my mods for the track. I use my GT for both track & street but I tend to sacrifice the streetability for trackability. In order of importance for the track:

1. Hoosier R6 (street legal/DOT track tires) P245/40ZR18, P315/40ZR19 on
stock rims. Same tire/rim for street & track.
2. Penske remote reservoir 3 way adjustable shocks by T&A Shocks (lowered
approximately 1" front & 1 1/4" rear).
3. Ida cat back exhaust.
4. SVT brake rotors (2 piece floating with aluminum hats).
5. Fresh stock Ford brake pads with fresh brake fluid.
6. Crow 6 point safety harness with Brey-Krause harness mounts.
7. Safecraft hand held 2.5 fire extinguisher on Thornhill bracket.

That's about it. I use static cling meatballs/numbers. I can give tire pressures & alignment specs if needed. Following are the contacts:

extinguisher, bracket, harness, harness mounts http://www.livermoreperformance.com

Ida exhaust http://www.idaautomotive.com

Penske shocks aszilagyi@comcast.net

Hoosier tires (heat cycled) 800-371-8473

SVT rotors, pads from your favorite Ford Motorsports dealer/vendor

I drive my GT to the track & back. It really is a track car for the street!

Ed

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
trans cooler

I forgot one of the most important mods for the track - a trans cooler. I installed the Ford cooler. Also a clear bra (I had all the lower panels, mirrors, front lid, rear quarter, etc covered) is important because of the black marks from the little pieces of rubber that litter the track. It's especially important on a light colored GT. I use brake/contact cleaner to remove the marks. Good advice - don't follow too close to a car that is not on line! It just means more elbow grease after the event. Hell, the GT was made for the track - get it dirty.

Everetto & Cobra R 1339 - the Z06 is as fast as the GT on the track but not as easy to drive. There were 3 that day but only one was being driven well. And that was my friend Gerry! He is a fantastic driver. Both of us competed in SCCA competition in the past; although, Gerry has a few years of Formula Ford competition in Europe. He has huge wheels/tires with bigger/better brakes. The stock Z06 brakes & shocks are poor on the track. The Z06 is pretty cheaply put together for the track compared to the GT. Whimpy radiator (weight savings - less coolant?), whimpy brakes (Gerry & one other friend had their cheapo rubber brake lines blow on the track - scary!), crappy seats, etc. the more I study it the more I see where Chevy saved weight & money!

Cobra R 1339 - my number I've used for years in motorcycle & car racing has been #197 but I couldn't fit a large enough 3 digit number in the 19" meatball for my GT so I dropped the 1. My GT is lowered 1-1 1/2" by adjusting the T&A Penskes. Also the front Hoosier R6s are slightly smaller in profile (slightly larger in width) - 235/45x18 stock vs 245/40x18 Hoosier. Ford used the 245/40 Hoosier in their testing. I can send hi-res pics but I don't know how to do it on this site. PM me your email & I can do it that way or I can mail a CD of all the images if you want.

Ed

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
Thanks for the photos and the info !!!

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
Nice !

Reminds us all just how purposeful and menacing the GT looks on the track - a triumph of design. That downhill section looks tricky - as if it might tempt drivers into error.... :ack :biggrin

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
thank you for the insight ED.

trackmeister

GT Owner
Jan 19, 2007
1. Hoosier R6 (street legal/DOT track tires) P245/40ZR18, P315/40ZR19 on
stock rims. Same tire/rim for street & track.

Ed, your car looks great on the track and all the upgrades you have done appear to be well thought out. One question though -- why not the Hoosier 255/40/18 on the front since it is wider than your 245 and almost the same O.D. as the factory front tire.

Are you going to add any power to the car?

Gulf GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 9, 2006
California
Thank you Ed! I really appreciate your input and experience. Your enthusiasm for the track is contagious, as well as your persuasive remarks about the GT’s purpose built design. And, thank you again for the fire extinguisher design.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
YES! This is a known fact. :biggrin

:willy :willy :willy PPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPHT!!!!!!:thumbsdow :thumbsdow :thumbsdow:rofl

Last edited:

Kave

GT Owner
Nov 13, 2006
Wow. Very very nice. I love that track.