Water temps

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
...I can tell you that it had no effect in our application. No effect at all. The fact is that the principle of water wetter is not patented or a trade secret. If it worked so well and so universally, it would be in your car from the factory. Think about it.

It may not have solved your Jeeps problem, but that doesn't mean it doesn't work in other applications. Water wetter isn't that special and looking at its MSDS it really does two things. The 1st is to add an anti-corrosive package to the coolant/water, the 2nd is to lower the surface tension of water. There are a number of similar products on the market, one from Royal Purple, or you can roll your own by using an coolant additive package primarily used for diesel engines and add some borax to it.

The reason the factory doesn't to it, is the car must be designed to work under a wide variety of conditions from below freezing to over 115F. Water wetter won't do that. Just like a pulley and tune can be safely used by most owners, but Ford decided sell the car detuned. WW is not a cure all, but if you only run and store your car at temps always about freezing Water Wetter may help.

http://www.redlineoil.com/whitePaper/17.pdf

http://www.redlineoil.com/msds/17.pdf

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
Nota4re - What was the coolant to water ratio in the Jeep? Ford doesn't need the Water Wetter properties when the GTs come 3:4 from the factory. Decreasing the amount of coolant requires more anti-corrosion help while prolonged hard/serious driving and/or engine mods need the surface tension help. But; you might be right, that in a completely stock GT with the engine & supercharger factory ratios, Water Wetter may not help to noticably reduce temps.

Ed

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
But; you might be right, that in a completely stock GT with the engine & supercharger factory ratios, Water Wetter may not help to noticably reduce temps.

My point wasn't to say that Water Wetter doesn't work or won't work. I was only trying to point out that it isn't (in my experience) a universal magic ingredient that will drop water temps by X degrees. I believe that there are applications where it is more effective than others.

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
Accufab is working on the hose problem !!!

AMB:thumbsup

I heard someone made a video of the hose collapsing. Any chance we could get a peek at it?

cobrar1339

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 2, 2006
Diamond Bar, Ca
I was speaking with a couple of the engineers at the rally on this topic as well.
I think this has been posted in other thread's but here is what I understand.

During testing, they would beat on the car on road course until it went into limp mode. They would measure time, laps completed, all the engine data.

Then make an educated adjustment and see how that works out. Things like the size of the hood vents were improved, the hole size in the exit screen, the front radiator 05 grille. All of which improved it. The magic ambient temp was about 80 plus degress when it when it would start to mis-behave during a beating. Ambient below those temps were not much of a problem.

Pulling the screen to the hood vents helped
Pulling the Ac condensor helped

Other theories were in regard to tune as it was pretty rich to keep the cats hot. That heat could have been a factor as well, but harder to measure and the tune was a done deal.

They had not heard about or seen the potential hose issue. This is because you cannot see it in the car, unless it is on a rack, running with the pans off. Makes sense as these were track tests. They took good notes on this issue.

It is my understanding that the hose thing only happens under rpm's of say 4,500 and above. So I doubt this is a solution to a high temp while just cruising around. I have this from an extremely reliable source.

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
cruising vs open tracking

I can't get my GT to overheat on the road no matter what the ambient temp or driving conditions; but, on the track at it can get very hot. Of course that's 30 minutes at redline in 3rd & 4th. Hose problem?

Ed

FLASH

GT Owner/Board of Directors
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 29, 2006
Atlanta, Ga.
I posted in the thread on Water Temps and I believe the hose collapse issue is really a major issue. In the Atlanta area our summer ambient temps have been 95+ and during a track session once the engine temp hit around 205 I believe it softened the hose and it must have started to collapse very easily because the needle on the gauge started moving like the tach needle. At that point 235 even with lower revs the temp didn't come down as fast as it should have.
Flash

timcantwell

Le Mans 2010 Sponsor * Moderator
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 22, 2006
N.E. OH & Naples, FL
Tim, you rang?

How was Vegas?

Kelvin Bloom

Kelvin, had a blast in Vegas. Wish you could have been there! We'll have to visit you in Hawaii instead.

AlohaGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 13, 2007
Honolulu, HI
Tim, we should've gone with you...next time.

Let me know when you're coming to Hawaii. We'll roll out the red carpet and the leis.

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
Kelvin, had a blast in Vegas. Wish you could have been there! We'll have to visit you in Hawaii instead.

Tim, we should've gone with you...next time.

Let me know when you're coming to Hawaii. We'll roll out the red carpet and the leis.

Gentlemen, this is a thread about water temperatures... Oh , ...Leis I like the sound of that!!...:biggrin

AlohaGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 13, 2007
Honolulu, HI
Gentlemen, this is a thread about water temperatures... Oh , ...Leis I like the sound of that!!...:biggrin

Yes, you're right, Stormcat; however, when's not a good time to talk about Paradise?