abolfaz

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 11, 2006
Coral Gables
Sorry to rain on your parade.

You have been gone for a while.

Bony

Most of the reason I stopped posting was because I got tired of dealing with the car, the dealer and the issues so I parked the car and literally didn't drive it for 8 months.

Sorry to rain on your parade.

Bony

Would that be appropriate? I feel like the issues that I have had with my car are relevant to other GT owners as I racked up more miles on my car when I first got it than many owners here had at the time therefore experiencing problems that the rest of the gt owners may see later on and perhaps out of warranty. This last NEARLY TWO MONTH stint at the dealer necessitated a new transaxle, unfortunately I got the car back with more damage than what it went in with. When the tech was confronted by the service adviser about the damage done to my center console and radio surround he said "I told you I didn't want to take the center console apart!", all this from a dealer that several members on this board have recommended in the past.

Bony, its your board, in the "spirit of christmas" I'll keep my experiences to myself and move on.

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
As I said... Welcome back.

Your call, spill the beans, not that you haven't in the 675 posts you have already made... or you may
Move on,...

We have been supportive. However, your a big boy, most of us who might have an issue with a dealer or two, we would contact Ford. Some of us suggested you ship your car to Saleen.

Seems like your solution was to park the car. OK, what did that accompish?

If you just want to carp, I will introduce you to Mrs. Bony and the two of you can try to out do each other.

Merry Kwanza!! :)

Last edited:

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Abofalz, glad to see you're back. Finally installed my carbon fiber exhaust surround. Love it! Thanks for doing this. In case you haven't seen, many others are interested in this part. Frank

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
Most of the reason I stopped posting was because I got tired of dealing with the car, the dealer and the issues so I parked the car and literally didn't drive it for 8 months.

Would that be appropriate? I feel like the issues that I have had with my car are relevant to other GT owners as I racked up more miles on my car when I first got it than many owners here had at the time therefore experiencing problems that the rest of the gt owners may see later on and perhaps out of warranty. This last NEARLY TWO MONTH stint at the dealer necessitated a new transaxle, unfortunately I got the car back with more damage than what it went in with. When the tech was confronted by the service adviser about the damage done to my center console and radio surround he said "I told you I didn't want to take the center console apart!", all this from a dealer that several members on this board have recommended in the past.

Bony, its your board, in the "spirit of christmas" I'll keep my experiences to myself and move on.

Some other South FL GT owners swear by Sawgrass Ford. They haven't done any work for me but they have done some for other members here. I have spoke with the Tech on some issues and he seems very knowledgeable. They have a dedicated service manager ask for " Teddy "
They may be able to sort out your car. I can tell you that they have a better working conditions then Maroone if that's where you've been.. I feel your pain and it's great to see you back !!

jamie

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 23, 2005
Virginia
A lot of cars have the 1st to 2nd gear grind that is obviously a syncro and is probably going to be a problem on many cars, which unfortunatly will be an expensive fix when out of warranty.

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
I still vote for sending your car to Saleen in Flint. They will fix evrything under warranty or TSB.

A new dash, tunnel and surrond are pennies v, angst of damage.

You are not going to lemon this.

Have Gary almond or fed Ex custom critical pick it up or have the GT guys do a custom visit [if possible].

I once yelled myself blue in the face over a botched rebuild of a vintage Bosch fuel injection pump...that was rebuilt twice and had to be reinstalled 3 times with still another rebuilt unit...round trip with a guy that some forum swore up/down and then tried to ban me when i shared (not saying thats the case here). Long story/short it cost me $6k when it should have been $1500.

5 yrs later, I put the car in hands of experts and its been restored and runs like a Valjoux Chronograph.

Trust me !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You wouldnt ask your butcher to do orthopeidic surgery just b/c he is in town.

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
How many times has the same advise been offered, over and over again by different members?

This forum is dedicated to helping members. But, we can only do so much...
No doubt if the car is still under warranty Saleen can resolve 110% of all the issues at no expense to the owner.

We know that there can be a lemon or two out there. These lemons can be turned in lemonaid.

Bony

Roger Vincent

GT Owner
May 31, 2006
Bowling Green, KY
Only when cold

I would like to know how many GT owners have had their transaxles' replaced by ford and why?

frank perdomo

I have a small grind from 1st to second, but only when it's cold. Once fully warm, shifts very smoothly. It seems like all our cars are like this based on the posts here on the forum. During warm up I just short shift, and never over rev the engine untill everything is at op temps. I am, however, aware of a previous member of the forum, who no longer owns his car, who told me his transaxle was replaced by Ford after it would jump out of third while driving. Other than that, that's all I am aware of.

mymach5

GT Owner
Nov 18, 2007
Melbourne, Florida
This August I took my gt from Melbourne to South Beach for the weekend.
On the way home I began to have power loss to the rear end and the engine got some heavy resistance. I limped to Pompano Ford but they could do nothing. Roadside assistance had the car moved to Sawgrass. The tow operator did not use the I bolt as recommended to put the car on the bed and apparently no one from the Pompano dealer watched as the diffusers ground the asphalt. Once at Sawgrass the recommendation was a whole new transmission. New tranny in, 75 miles added, new gouge mark on the frame rail above the engine and a loud rattle between 2600 and 3200 rpm. No driver abuse here. 5000 miles. Dealer says "oh well".
Any advise?

Team Jeff

GT Owner
Sep 8, 2007
Dealer says "oh well".
Any advise?

"Oh well" is simply unacceptable. I would be doing some arguing with the service manager on the service drive. That pisses me off and its not even my car!!:bored

Can you tell if the rattle is coming from the engine or transmission?

mymach5

GT Owner
Nov 18, 2007
Melbourne, Florida
"Oh well" is simply unacceptable. I would be doing some arguing with the service manager on the service drive. That pisses me off and its not even my car!!:bored

Can you tell if the rattle is coming from the engine or transmission?

The rattle sounds like it is coming from the rear of the engine compartment.
I hope it is just the black panels vibrating against the exhaust or something.

I just really haven't had the time or an assistant to help look for the problem.

I think I will have plenty of helpers on Christmas Day who will be happy to sit in the car to run the throttle while I look around.

Carnut

FORD GT OWNER
Jan 19, 2008
Phoenix, Arizona
2nd Gear Grind

I very recently purchased a slightly used 2005 GT, built March of 2005. I love the car but have a lot of "issues" that will undoubtedly get resolved. The big issue is a grind going into second from first at any speed, warm or cold. Quiet in all other gears including third to second downshift. It is in the dealership now for this problem as well as a fluctuating oil pressure gage, no heat and an intermittant door ajar light.

I hope the fix is something other than having to replace the transaxle but we shall see.

abolfaz

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 11, 2006
Coral Gables
What is the warranty on a new transaxle? I had an issue with a porsche that was almost out of warranty a few years ago where the convertible top would develop a couple of tears in the same spot, I got it repaired just before the warranty ran out, but the new part had a two year unlimited warranty from porsche. Guess what got replaced a little over a year and a half later at no charge?

I wonder if the transaxle will still have warranty coverage after the new car warranty runs out?

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
I very recently purchased a slightly used 2005 GT, built March of 2005. I love the car but have a lot of "issues" that will undoubtedly get resolved. The big issue is a grind going into second from first at any speed, warm or cold. Quiet in all other gears including third to second downshift. It is in the dealership now for this problem as well as a fluctuating oil pressure gage, no heat and an intermittant door ajar light.

I hope the fix is something other than having to replace the transaxle but we shall see.

First off "register" the FGT on top or by sending DBK a note - he will change your title to owner.

Second - use the search function. There are hundreds of post about the first to second grind. You need to let the car warm up. Use the forum search function to find older threads.

Third - the flucuating oil pressure. Does it when warm run ~ 35 -40#'s and when at 2k run 60-70"? If so thats normal. It is a dry sump system with a high/ low pressure valve that kicks in at 2K. If at idle it bounces more than 10# - probably the sending unit.

No - heat? Check to see if there is any "air" in the cooling system or the "door" for the cooling system might be stuck. What temp does the car run. When warm should be 165 to 180 in summer. Winter I don't know and depends where you live.

Door light?

Welcome - do you have the Grin?

Last edited:

Carnut

FORD GT OWNER
Jan 19, 2008
Phoenix, Arizona
Thanks Mad,
Yes I have the grin, the smile and the squeal of joy. FYI, grinding is with hot engine and trans. The oil pressure at idle jumps from 25 to 45 or so. Thanks for assistance. Hopefully the dealer will get it straightened out. I guess I will send DBK a note, I registered the FGT previously.

Nice forum, however, I think I need to get a few posts under my belt before I started crapping it up.

Still grinning.

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Wlecome carnut,

1. It sounds like the dealer should be able to easily duplicate the first to second gear grind. Clutch adjustment (bleeding) should be considered as well as shift cable adjustment, although I really doubt the cables can be the likely culprit. If the clutch engage/disengage is good, then most likely it is the transfer case and it is NOT field serviceable. The dealership will be instructed to remove and replace.

2. Fluctuating oil pressure gauge has been noted by many. Most likely it is "normal". Worst case is that sending unit may require replacement.

3. No heat = ? (no ideas)

4. Intermittent door ajar light is most likely one of the clamshell switches or possibly the front bonnet latch - both of which will trigger this light. Look to the clamshell switches first.

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Hey Bruce,
Welcome, eyes right :)
Changed it for you,... your now one of us!
Do you like MAKERS MARK?... DUMB QUESTION, the drink of real men and FGT owners!
Heres looking to share a Makers Manhattan with you!
Cheers,
daniel

Carnut

FORD GT OWNER
Jan 19, 2008
Phoenix, Arizona
Thanks for the welcome and the tech advice. The FGT is totally new animal to me and it will take some learning. The learning curve will be much shorter with "ya'lls" help. I have already ordered the service manuals from Helm which should be quite helpful. I do have some amatuer mechanical savy, have built a number of older hi-po cars and hot rods, but the newer cars get more technical all the time. I can barely keep up with my private fleet now. Just the washing and waxing is enough to keep me busy.

Again thanks for the welcome.

Oh, I don't know about the Maker's Mahatten. I gave up the spirits in 85. I did enough of that to last me well into 2086. I'd be happy to clink glass with you, except I'd have to stick with "soft" manhatten.

Last edited:

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
Don't forget to sign-up for the Rally in Vegas. You will regret it if you don't make it.

On the 1-2 grind... I have had two GTs now and they both do that when cold. It may just be in my head but I feel like if I run the car a bit and let the transmission oil "splash" around in there; long enough to get 2nd gear coated it is fine. If the gear continues to grind after you get a couple miles on it, the problem may be more serious.

Welcome to the board.

SFLGT

Dec 29, 2007
FtLauderdale,Florida
Abolfaz, warenty repalced trans. are covered for 12 months 12 thousand miles from the time they are repalced. If your factory wareny runs out before this time it would be covered up to the 12/12. Now this is on all our regular ford cars. There might be different covarage for the GT trans, but I can find anything where it says diferent for the GT.