transaxle replacement

Aug 4, 2006
I would like to know how many GT owners have had their transaxles' replaced by ford and why?

frank perdomo

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Why do you want to know? Do you own a GT, or just curious?

BlackICE

Aug 4, 2006
I work in the parts dept at wayne akers ford in lake worth fl and am helping a GT customer that has concerns with his transaxle. I am attempting to gather as much info about these replacements so I can clear some red tape that exist within our service dept. They believe that he caused the issue and I do not think so based on what I have seen on the boards here. So I would like to see how many have actually been put in and this is the only way I can do that. I hope that you guys can help me out.

Frank Perdomo

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
No one here has replaced a transaxle. There are 6-10 cases of the half-shafts coming loose, but no more than that.

Aug 4, 2006
we have done two of those here also, I thought I read in another post about some complete units being put in. Apparently on his the synchronizers are shot, Ford does not service any parts for the tranny so a unit is our only option.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
I don't know anyone who's replaced the entire transaxle.

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
I don't know anyone who's replaced the entire transaxle.

Me either... but there was a list member on her maybe 6 months ago who was complaining a lot about the inability to engage first gear. I believe the gentleman was from SoCal and I don't know how/if the problem was resolved.

ROCMAN

Big Dawg!
Mark IV Lifetime
Mar 9, 2006
USA
I haven't heard anything. These tranny's are bulletproof, but there is always an exception.

Nardo GT

Jul 15, 2006
Texas
Transaxle Originally posted in August

Transmission Synchro?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This is what I originally posted in August
"My car has 1500 miles on it and has always been a bit sensitive shifting into second gear. All the other shifts are fine, just the one-two. You have to take extra care and shift really thinking about it into second. If you don't take a bit of extra care it will crunch SLIGHTLY going into second. This feels/sounds like a synchro problem to me. No popping out of gear....no whines..no other problems with the trans. other than this. Anybody else experience this? I am 50 years old and very familiar with manual transmissions. I have had Porsches, Ferraris, Corvettes etc....even Mustang GTs and never noticed such.. It is slight, but still noticeable. Thanks."

I was told by other forum members that the second gear "crunch" was normal and would get better with time. Well, I am at 4800 miles now and it is EXACTLY the same. How long do I need to wait? I know all about shifting 1-3 instead of 1-2 but do I really need to be doing that? I think that is just getting around the real issue. It NEVER does this on a downshift from 3 to 2 but only on upshift and only sometimes....does seem better after FULLY warmed up....and I do mean FULLY....It is very annoying and I really want to keep a "numbers matching" transaxle....not a replacement. And btw, I think the number of axle failures is more in the 60 car area. Mine failed a couple of months ago about a mile from the Ford dealership. I pushed it back in and limped to the dealer. If I had been far from a dealer or out of town I would have really been upset. Luckily I had the use of reading about it prior to it happening and knew exactly what it was. Please let me know FranKTheTank what you find out. I really don't want the dealer tearing into or replacing my trans.....Maybe I will wait til the warranty is almost out and send to Saleen. I have heard many good things about them, but still concernred about "matching number" trans. Also......I guess I would be out the shipment expense which doesn't seem right. Maybe I should trade cars with Bony...his shifts "like a hot knife through butter".........Bony , I think I still have those pictures of what appears to be you and some farm animals.

Last edited:

scode

Mar 28, 2006
Plymouth, MI
I sold a GT to a collector that did not want us to drive or prep the car as it was going into his collection of cars that would never be driven. After Camilo signed his car which was strapped down in his trailer waiting to go to Florida, Camilo convinced him to take it for a spin once in a while. Well he did and the car would not stay in first gear. The shifter would just pop out. This happened down in FL after he got back and it was a cluster "F" according to the customer who did not want anyone to touch his car but himself or his mechanics. We shipped him a tool to adjust something in the shifter or transaxle, "I am not a mechanic so bear with", but it did not work. Long story short a new transaxle was shipped to his local dealer and problem fixed.

Scode

Last edited:

lthlvpr

GT Owner
Mar 8, 2006
There were a few guys at the GT Rally who had transaxle problems. One in Canada and 2 in the US. At cruising speeds in various gears the tanny would pop out of gear into neutral. It wasn't during hard acceleration or switching gears. Literally cruising on the freeways at 70mph for 20 minutes and POP.

Not sure if it required a whole new transaxle or adjustment of shifter cables.

Nardo GT

Jul 15, 2006
Texas
Frank The Tank Any news?

See my previous post under this thread please.

glord

GT Owner
Mar 25, 2006
Los Gatos California
I had to have my transaxle shipped back to Ricardo. The dealer found an oil leak internal to the unit after it was removed to repair a leak from my rear main. Apparently the fix could not be done by the delear in that the repair had to be done in Ricardo's temp contolled clean room.

Before this repair was done, I too had significant trouble on the 1-2 upshift. However, they also found some broken linkage clips after removing the center console, this for a stereo head until replacement. These were repaired at the same time as the transaxle and I've not since had the upshift problem.

They also repaired the fuel filler leak that was causing check engine light to come on and stalling.

A lot of problems, but excellent dealer care.

Aug 4, 2006
that is good to hear, it looks like we will be getting the customer the new transaxle. all we have to do is verify the problem, ford agreed to send us a transaxle to replace.

abolfaz

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 11, 2006
Coral Gables
ME!

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
where do you find these old threads??
holy sheeeet, next thing I will find will be my old grade school report cards...
and no, she was already preggers when I met her, and she started it. :)

abolfaz

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 11, 2006
Coral Gables
where do you find these old threads??:)

Rather than start a new thread regarding the subject, I used the search function, found a thread relevant to the subject and then made a post.

Isn't that whats supposed to happen?

Team Jeff

GT Owner
Sep 8, 2007
Rather than start a new thread regarding the subject, I used the search function, found a thread relevant to the subject and then made a post.

Isn't that whats supposed to happen?

I believe somewhere in that progression a "sorry to bring up this ancient thread but.." is in order. :wink

I'm glad you did. I'm interested to hear updates and new issues if any regarding the transaxle.

abolfaz

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 11, 2006
Coral Gables
I believe somewhere in that progression a "sorry to bring up this ancient thread but.." is in order. :wink

I'm glad you did. I'm interested to hear updates and new issues if any regarding the transaxle.

I have a volume of new information on what my cars been through and how two different dealers have dealt with my car, but the moderation here "in the spirit of christmas" decided it wasn't worthwhile.

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Sorry to rain on your parade.

You have been gone for a while.
Welcome back.

We recall some of the issues you had. Seemed dealer related. I would have lemoned off my FGT if I had the same problems.

So go ahead tell us what you found.

Bony