Trailers

SuperB

Board of Directors/Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 8, 2006
South Florida
Chris, what trailers are you looking at, I'm considering a trailer as well.
Let's work together on this, you do all the research and then tell me what to buy :cheers

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
DBTGT from Tulsa had a very nice Feathlite for the trip to Dearborn. He had the entire inside mirrored so his silver/black stripe Neon looked like a GT.

FlorIdaho Chris

Yeah, I've got one.
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
SuperB said:
Chris, what trailers are you looking at, I'm considering a trailer as well.
Let's work together on this, you do all the research and then tell me what to buy :cheers

The two front runners for me are Featherlite and Trailex. I am leaning toward the Trailex because it is significantly smaller. As much as I like the tricked out insides of some of the larger trailers, I really only need something to move a car form point A to point B and tend to think smaller is better when towing.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
The "tricked out insides", Chris, are what add a TON of cost.

Also I realize the "convienence" of a gas, but go diesel! Not only will it be better for towing (tourqe, MPG...) but resale will be much stronger. Dually, as much as I like the idea, I did not go this route for my last 2 trucks. My 24" steel enclosed traliler has been great with a SRW (single rear wheel). Also if you ever have driven a un loaded dually, you know how what a difference a pair of extra wheels of unsprung weight does for ride quality. I have a 98 Dodge Cummins (at the time ford had not sorted out the power stroke) with a 5 speed. Coming back from the rally we avgd (including stops) about 64 mph for about 675 miles. A fellow racing bud went the gas F250 route, and after 2 years was into the power stroke......

escman

GT Owner
Nov 16, 2005
Long Island, NY
mgo427 I have decided to sell my 22 foot enclosed United trailer. It is fully loaded to winch and secure our gt in style. pm me with your email address, I will take some pictures this weekend and forward them.

Silverbullitt

GT Owner
Mar 3, 2006
Lago Vista, TX
fjpikul said:
DBTGT from Tulsa had a very nice Feathlite for the trip to Dearborn. He had the entire inside mirrored so his silver/black stripe Neon looked like a GT.

It was also easy to remove parts from his car that Frank and I decided he didn't need. I took the back aero, Frank took the front.

shor

GT Owner
Apr 30, 2006
nj
I think Gold Rush makes the BEST trailers, hands down.
I did alot of research and have owned a few trailers over the years and they are simply the best.

shor

GT Owner
Apr 30, 2006
nj
This is where i bought mine.
They sell right from the factory in pa
http://www.goldrushsales.com/

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Useful thread. Has anyone ever transported a car AND a bike in one of these trailers? Can they be fitted to do so (like a GT and a Duc 999)?

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
DBK no problem, you probably would want a 28" or larger for a bike in front of the GT. my 24 you probably could make it work, but assuming the bike it in front, you would have to be careful with tounge weight. When I had a bike I would just throw it in the back of the truck.

FrankBarba

Permanent Vacation
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 16, 2005
Harrisburg, PA
39' 5th Wheel. Car in Middle. I have a Front Door under lounge opens, bring your bike right in, strap down. ready to go. Files are too big to post pictures. Email if interested. Both Trailer & Ford F550 are for sale.

Outlaw

GT Owner
Apr 25, 2006
Jacksonville, FL
I prefer Competition aluminum race trailers myself.

DBK, Ive transported multiple cars + bikes in my trailer. I might be interested in selling it if your in need of one.

Last edited:

Not 4N

Tungsten GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 5, 2006
Calgary AB
Outlaw said:
I prefer Competition aluminum race trailers myself.

DBK, Ive transported multiple cars + bikes in my trailer. I might be interested in selling it if your in need of one.

:eek Ho leeee crap!!! That's a trailer!!!

Are you serious about selling it?

I might have to fly to florida and check it out. :biggrin

dbtgt

One lucky SOB to own a GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 4, 2006
Tulsa, Oklahoma
DBK said:
Useful thread. Has anyone ever transported a car AND a bike in one of these trailers? Can they be fitted to do so (like a GT and a Duc 999)?
A bike in front of the GT in my 24 ft. Featherlite would be no problem. It has a V shaped nose perfect for a bike. I always adjust tongue weight buy measuring the amount of drop at the hitch before and after loading and would just position the car further back in the trailer to offset the bike in the front. I shoot for about 2 inches of drop. The wheel baskets and E-track make this easy to do.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
agreed the 24 would fit, but with the GT i'd be happy to give her some space. Also you would not be bringing much in the way of tools.

tpraceman

THEE GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 20, 2006
Washington Michigan
Trailer trash talk

Trailers for 30 years so many I lost track
Feather light & gold rush are very nice & did that once, but I like keeping new stuff and upgrading (plus easier to sell) so Pace is about the best for the money and make tons of them.

Pace makes Aluminum now as well.

Shadow is a great deal as it comes with all the options most order anyhow.

http://www.paceamerican.com/trailers/

DBK I have a 28' with the GT get the rubber bumpers about 3 to 4" mounted at the top of the drop down door. Then have a 4' flap door. Gt then has plenty of angle for the transition. Use only rubber or diamond plate flooring. Never anything slippery when wet.....(Bony thats for you) slipping and falling on the GT is not a pretty site. I load two Harleys in front of the GT (Harley is 8' typically). If 24' you will be tight but 1 bike you can angle.:wink

Do not use wheel baskets. When hauling someday you might have a leaky tire and dont discover it until its flat in the trailer and the car has had a chance to bounce around.:eek

Use axel straps through the wheels or suspension. Do not strap to the frame!
Let the cars suspension & the trailers work for you. :thumbsup

When ordering your winch get the remote with a long enough cord to reach out the back door so you can steer and control the winch.:thumbsup

Take the trailer to a tire dealer and have the tires and wheels balance imediatley.....after they cup it will be to late. (Suspension & tires will last twice as long not to mention if you haul Bony's, the wine on the front seat won't get bruised:lol

GT takes me about 15 minutes to load strap and take off.

Never pull with a independent rear suspension vehical (unless you like white knuckle driving). If in the hills get a F-250 super duty trailer tow with tow comand & diesel.

Leveling bars on the hitch are a must.

Pace or other big trailer companies make it easy with packages and know where to put the tie downs and such.

Trailer hitch guys are the same tell them what you are doing and they will set you up.

Hope this helps

Final note GT need to be either loaded further forward or rear end first, rear engine V/S front engine for best weight transfer.