top speed reached in GT so far.

bigdan40

GT Owner
Apr 17, 2006
Good feedback guys!!! I will crank this thing up on Sunday morning and record the data @ 6000 in 3rd, 4th, 5th and if I can get their, 6th gear. I will be back at you with actual speeds when running through the shift points @ 6000. My curiousity is peeked! :biggrin

SuperB

Board of Directors/Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 8, 2006
South Florida
So, does this mean that on the moon we can go 260? AND, what is the escape velocity on the moon? AND, what are the chances or having the next rally on the moon? I know it would be expensive, but I'm sure Jay Leno wouldn't mind the cost! :biggrin

EasyEric

GT Owner
Mar 6, 2006
Florida and Georgia USA
BD40,

I am sure that ALL top speed tests of the GT show that top speed was achieved in 5th gear. It is unlikely the GT will reach anywhere near redline in 6th gear...at least not on this temporal plane (i.e., the real world).

Eric

Fast Freddy

GPS'D 225 MPH
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 5, 2005
Avondale, Arizona
centerpunch said:
Maybe you were still in 4th. Speedometer probably not accurate at that speed, but any $100 GPS unit will be VERY accurate.

centerpunch that is a excellent graph you have displayed there. :thumbsup at 6,500 rpm in 5th gear the GT does 214 mph according to the chart. i think with the right conditions 650 rwhp would hit that speed. i have seen data that says the GT in its stock unmodified form with 550 rwhp will do anywhere from 205-211 mph. i think the 205 mph is realistic with 550 rwhp but in order for the GT to go 211 mph with stock power i am guessin that they were either goin down hill or had a strong tailwind or both. the 211 mph was achieved at nardo, italy. something makes me think that straight away is flat with no downhill. so i am guessing they had a 20 mph tailwind.

ENZO BTR

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 11, 2005
Southern California
I heard (from my Ford GT contacts) that the car went between 208 and 212 on each of several runs at Nardo. But SVT learned from their 1999 Cobra horsepower fiasco, so they "certified" the car with a 205 mph top speed, knowing that every GT (under normal driving condition -- meaning no hills or head winds) will easily achieve it.

BTW, I've also heard that 4th gear will easily get you to 170 mph, and at those speeds the car feels hunkered down (thank you Camilo, and wind-tunnel testing) and quite stable/confident. There's also a low-frequency "thrum" as the air slams through the front opening, up through the hood's twin air extractors and over the windshield. And, if you're really sensitive, you can ascertain a slightly lower ride height as a result of the downforce being created.

At least, that's what I've heard... :banana

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
I think on the DVD they say the car averaged 205mph over 500 miles at Nardo with peaks of 212. To average a speed that high over such a distance you have to be hitting the higher numbers pretty frequently...

satx

Aug 25, 2005
Dana Point
Fast Freddy said:
i have seen data that says the GT in its stock unmodified form with 550 rwhp will do anywhere from 205-211 mph..

what data is that?

Fast Freddy said:
i think the 205 mph is realistic with 550 rwhp but in order for the GT to go 211 mph with stock power i am guessin that they were either goin down hill or had a strong tailwind or both. the 211 mph was achieved at nardo, italy. something makes me think that straight away is flat with no downhill. so i am guessing they had a 20 mph tailwind.

if you have seen data that indicates 211mph with stock power why would it need a 20mph tailwind to achieve that speed?

Going by the reports from Nardo the GT is able to pull to it's redline in 5th at ~212MPH.

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
I never violate any speed limits, or break any laws since I know the internet is not a private place and if I wrecked my GT a plantiff lawyer might troll here for negative information about me and my habits :eek :confused

Fast Freddy

GPS'D 225 MPH
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 5, 2005
Avondale, Arizona
satx said:
what data is that?

if you have seen data that indicates 211mph with stock power why would it need a 20mph tailwind to achieve that speed?

Going by the reports from Nardo the GT is able to pull to it's redline in 5th at ~212MPH.

i will believe it when i get my hands on one and test it for myself. just like i did with my vette and my viper. you can't always believe anything you read in car magazines. with that said i recommend you test it for yourself. you might be suprised by the reuslts you get. case in point: all the car mags claimed that the 2002-2004 Z06's top speed is only 172 mph. so with 1,100 miles on the odometer of my bone stock year 2004 Z06 i took it out to my high speed testing grounds and preceeded to go 176 mph on GPS with a passenger in the car too. we got the run on video from the cockpit too. yes my speedo was innacurately reading 172 mph. the road that i do my high speed testing on is perfectly level flat with no downhill whatsoever as verified by my GPS altimeter. there were no winds of any kind when i made my run. for all you know the speedo in your GT might be off by 4 mph. i suggest getting a garmin GPS, that is what i use. its very accurate as it tracks up to 11 satellites.

1of19(GER)

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
Germany
Next time I´ll take my GPS with me and a better camera. :wink
Thank you SLF360 for mentioning my video once again.
:cheers
http://videos.streetfire.net/player.aspx?fileid=59F62B9F-7ACA-4D41-87D0-CCE460FD37E7

Last edited by a moderator:

JJP

Ford GT Team Alumni
Apr 5, 2006
Saline, MI
The car is limited to 205 for tire certification. The car went 212 in Nardo. With very high aerodynamic drag you must take into account tire and clutch slip. It is possible to increase RPM and not increase vehicle speed with a manual transmission, very slight.

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
With very high aerodynamic drag you must take into account tire and clutch slip. It is possible to increase RPM and not increase vehicle speed with a manual transmission, very slight.

Respectfully disagree. Neither tires nor (properly functioning) clutch is going to be slipping at the top speed threshold.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Mr. JJP probably knows pretty well what he's talking about. He may have some pretty good firsthand experience :wink

Fast Freddy

GPS'D 225 MPH
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 5, 2005
Avondale, Arizona
One of 19 (GER) said:
Next time I´ll take my GPS with me and a better camera. :wink
Thank you SLF360 for mentioning my video once again.
:cheers
http://videos.streetfire.net/player.aspx?fileid=59F62B9F-7ACA-4D41-87D0-CCE460FD37E7

that was awesome :bow takes some major cajones to do that at night :eek

it looks to me like you damn near maxed out your speedometer at 220 mph there. :thumbsup

so do you have any mods or is it bone stock? what was the max speed your GPS recorded?

SLF360

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
DBK said:
Mr. JJP probably knows pretty well what he's talking about. He may have some pretty good firsthand experience :wink
JJP is right. Trust that, buddy nota4re ..
Boys: Interesting twist for thought, if someone would have the idea to beef up the engine somehow, and in the process of retuning the ECU set the revv limiter to 7000, instead of 6500, theoretically the revv limit in fifth would be only reached at over 230mph. (like for our twin turbo colleagues, eg)
But I guess you wouldn't want to do that for five minutes flat, with tyre and other engine concerns.. :biggrin
Just a thought, as it would still require the Autobahn or a long, long airfield :rofl

see you soon 'auf der A3', 1 of 19 ! :biggrin :biggrin :biggrin

Stefan

Last edited:

Fast Freddy

GPS'D 225 MPH
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 5, 2005
Avondale, Arizona
with 800 rwhp and a 7,000 rpm limit in 5th gear i bet the car would go 230 mph. the car could hit this speed in 2 miles or less from a dead stop with this kind of power.

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
SLF360 said:
JJP is right. Trust that, buddy nota4re ..
Boys: Interesting twist for thought, if someone would have the idea to beef up the engine somehow, and in the process of retuning the ECU set the revv limiter to 7000, instead of 6500, theoretically the revv limit in fifth would be only reached at over 230mph. (like for our twin turbo colleagues, eg)
But I guess you wouldn't want to do that for five minutes flat, with tyre and other engine concerns.. :biggrin
Just a thought, as it would still require the Autobahn or a long, long airfield :rofl

see you soon 'auf der A3', 1 of 19 ! :biggrin :biggrin :biggrin

Stefan

In most of the reflashing I have seen the rev limiter and top speed limiter are removed of adjusted w-a-y upwards.

SLF360

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Not a question if, but merely when !

Bony,
that-s right... So we will see 232 miles an hour on the autobahn ! :banana

cobrajeff

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 5, 2006
Daytona Beach
Top Speed in a GT

211.89mph!

Nardo_4.JPG

Fast Freddy

GPS'D 225 MPH
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 5, 2005
Avondale, Arizona
cobrajeff said:
211.89mph!

Nardo_4.JPG

so is that nardo? was the top speed measured with a GPS or radar? also is the car bone stock or does it have mods? whats the altitude of this track?

nice pic btw :thumbsup