top speed reached in GT so far.

Rob Ferretti

May 2, 2006
NYC area
how fast has everyone taken the car and how did it feel to you at speed compared to other cars you've driven. Just curious what everyone else says about this.

davefordgt

GT Owner
Feb 10, 2006
went from LA to palm springs this weekend. My bro just got a Z06 and we where crusing at 160. He said is car did not feel to stable. But mine was like a brick. Cant wait to take her up to 200.

todd

GT Owner
Feb 3, 2006
so. ca.
175+ but had to slow down for traffic.

SLF360

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
well over 200 mph. :wink

No issues, surprisingly good steer and feel, compared to other nervous horses at that speed. In part, due to the superb roadhandling suspension, I feel .. :thumbsup

bigdan40

GT Owner
Apr 17, 2006
Hit 175 this past Sunday and backed out of it. The car was incredibly stable with very positive feedback (no float/lift sensations). I wanted to go faster but I ran out of room. When you are not in a controled atmosphere it's a little scary @ that speed. Still had all of 6th gear left (I was in 5th when I got out of it @ what was around 6200 rpm, not positive on that but close)!!! :biggrin

V8 FGT

GT Owner
Oct 2, 2005
London
189 mph, GPS speed trap verified @ Bruntingthorpe runway in U.K
Couldn't get into 6th beofre running out of tarmac!! :lol

Note to self: Must try and crack 200mph soon! :banana

Fast Freddy

GPS'D 225 MPH
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 5, 2005
Avondale, Arizona
0 mph so far :thumbsdow but when i get my hands on one 200 mph will come and go quicker than you can read this post :thumbsup

SLF360

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Fast Freddy said:
0 mph so far :thumbsdow but when i get my hands on one 200 mph will come and go quicker than you can read this post :thumbsup
Fast Freddy,
you owe your name and us here that one.! Also to counter 1 of 19, with his frequent night runs north of 200.. !

find a good airfield, no one would want to do it on a higway, rriigggghhhhtt !? - unless you are on a good ' ol highway called Autobahn !

stefan

SuperB

Board of Directors/Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 8, 2006
South Florida
I've been to 160, all I had room for. Very stable and comfortable, and plenty of power left. Amazing acceleration even at that speed. I think I was in 4th gear, not sure.

AZGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 20, 2005
Scottsdale, AZ.
centerpunch said:

Isn't that fast for first gear :eek

MK2_GT

GTX1 Owner
Mar 25, 2006
130+ at Infineon raceway, lots of fun very stable.

Outlaw

GT Owner
Apr 25, 2006
Jacksonville, FL
over 200 as a passenger , 190+ driving - feels very smooth and predictable , much better than my viper or z06

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
How fast?

120.....but I was picking up an order at the Jack in the Box drive-thru at the time. :biggrin

EasyEric

GT Owner
Mar 6, 2006
Florida and Georgia USA
About 140...and was very stable.

By the way, top speed is reached in 5th gear. Sixth gear is too tall and is there for cruising and gas mileage (overdrive).

Eric

bigdan40

GT Owner
Apr 17, 2006
EasyEric said:
About 140...and was very stable.

By the way, top speed is reached in 5th gear. Sixth gear is too tall and is there for cruising and gas mileage (overdrive).

Eric

EE is that true? I'm very sure that when I backed out of the car @ 175 the tach was reading around 6000-6200. Do you think I had 30 mph or so left @ that rpm in that gear?

bigdan40

GT Owner
Apr 17, 2006
I'm positive that I was in 5th gear CP! I'll have to monitor my shift points (mph) and tach next time I get a chance to open her up...

barondw

GT Owner
Sep 8, 2005
bigdan40 said:
I'm positive that I was in 5th gear CP! I'll have to monitor my shift points (mph) and tach next time I get a chance to open her up...

On a dyno 4th is good for over 170 mph.

Dave

bigdan40

GT Owner
Apr 17, 2006
barondw said:
On a dyno 4th is good for over 170 mph.

Dave,

Is it possible that the car on a dyno would be under a different load ratio then real world driving? Again, I'm sure that I was in 5th gear but not positive
on the rpm, I think about 6000!

bigdan40

GT Owner
Apr 17, 2006
centerpunch said:
Gears are gears. With a manual transmission, the load on the drivetrain can not affect the relationship between the engine speed and the vehicle speed. If the engine goes 10% faster, the wheels have no choice but to also go 10% faster.

I'm not an engineer CP, and I hear what you are saying regarding the drivetrain but in the same breath wouldn't aero dynamics come into play as well? If I'm driving 160 into a headwind of 20 mph vs. a tailwind of 20 mph, wouldn't that alter the load on the drivetrain? I'm just hoping to understand this a little better, thanks in advance. I've read a lot of your post's and you seem to know the car in and out! BD40

AZGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 20, 2005
Scottsdale, AZ.
bigdan40 said:
I'm not an engineer CP, and I hear what you are saying regarding the drivetrain but in the same breath wouldn't aero dynamics come into play as well? If I'm driving 160 into a headwind of 20 mph vs. a tailwind of 20 mph, wouldn't that alter the load on the drivetrain? I'm just hoping to understand this a little better, thanks in advance. I've read a lot of your post's and you seem to know the car in and out! BD40

I agree with what Centerpunch indicated. :thumbsup

The car will go a set speed at so many RPM's. Like he said, gears are gears - the only thing that would change that would be taller or shorter tires.

The problem is can you get to those RPMs. Aerodynamics do play a part since it takes horsepower to overcome wind resistantace, etc. Say the car will go 170 in 4th gear at 6500 RPM (or whatever the actual numer is). If you can get to 6500 in 4th, it will go 170. If you can't get there, it won't go 170.

Just my interpretation for clarification.