The Ultimate Gun thread

Fast Freddy

GPS'D 225 MPH
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 5, 2005
Avondale, Arizona
this is the thread to post pix of your guns. here are a few pix of me shootin my .50's and the results of my firepower a 1/4 mile downrange :usa

BIG-27762776scan0005.jpg

2776scan0002-BIG.jpg

27766986scan_enlarged.jpg

2776DSC01213.jpg

2776DSC01212.jpg

2776scan0005.jpg

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Nice guns, be glad you don't live in CA!

Shot two rounds of AE50 at an indoors range. The recoil wasn't too bad, much less than expected, but the muzzle blast in a closed room was very uncomfortable to my innards.

Kingman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 11, 2006
Surf City, USA
Holy Jeeeeeezus. Ya plannin' on joinin' the boys in Iraq??:ack

PILOTJPW1

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 22, 2005
Maryland
That is way cool!

What is the camo scarf over your face for in the picture?

kmillen

Jan 29, 2007
Talk about a tailgater eliminator...

Fast Freddy

GPS'D 225 MPH
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 5, 2005
Avondale, Arizona
What is the camo scarf over your face for in the picture?

that is my .50 caliber Barrett M82A1 semi-auto rifle that i am shooting there. as you can see from the shell flying out of the ejection port into the air the ejection port is on the right side of the gun. since i am left handed and shoot the gun left handed my face is on the same side of the gun that the ejection port is on. certain types of ammo that i shoot out of this gun eject to the rear as opposed to the side and have hit me in the face. 200+ grains of burnt gun powder makes for one extremely hot peice of brass when it is lit off and thrown back into your face. i had one weld itself to my cheek one time and from that day forward i started wearing a bandana for protection :mad

Last edited:

Fast Freddy

GPS'D 225 MPH
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 5, 2005
Avondale, Arizona

Shot two rounds of AE50 at an indoors range. The recoil wasn't too bad, much less than expected, but the muzzle blast in a closed room was very uncomfortable to my innards.

when i first bought my .50 caliber Desert Eagle semi-auto pistol i was on the warpath to break it in and find the most accurate load to shoot out of it. so i shot 300 rounds of ammo thru it in about 3 months of time. it F-d up my wrist so bad i couldn't shoot handguns of any caliber for 6 months after that. i have since had the gun magna-ported and it barely made a difference :willy

when i shoot the .50 caliber pistol i wear the doo-rag on my head in addition to the shooting glasses because certain types of ammo will eject the spent shells straight back into my face. i have been cut on the forehead by flying brass before :bang

the muzzle break on the end of my Barrett M82A1 semi-auto rifle is just wicked. one time i had a box of .50 caliber ammo sittin on the bench near the brake on the gun and when i lit a round off the blast from the brake just shredded the box of ammo and blew it off the bench onto the ground :eek

when i shoot the Barrett rifle out in the desert i put a peice of carpet on the cab of my truck and put the gun on top of my rig. i stand in the bed of the truck and lean up against the back of the cab and shoot the gun over the front of the truck. the end of that barrel sits a lil more than a foot or two above the very top of my windsheild where it meets the roof of the cab. anyway, one time i had a small chip in my windsheild from a rock and the hairline crack in my windsheild was only a couple of inches longs. but one shot out of the Barrett and the blast from the gun caused that crack to run and spread across the entire windsheild :lol

when i shoot the Barrett rifle i wear a set of ear plugs and ear muffs both because the muzzle brake on the end of the gun directs 40% of the noise and blast right back at me. i usually shoot 30-40 rounds out of it each time i take it to the range and it will give you a headache if you don't take the necessary precautions when shooting this gun. i shot it one time when i was hungover and i will never do that again. that gave me a migraine headache from hell :ack:smash

LOL .50 calibers just kick my azz :dead:

Last edited:

S592R

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 3, 2006
you need a Unertl 10-power scope for the Barrett. They also make a brass deflector for you southpaw shooters ... save the face .. buy a deflector. PM me if you can't find a supplier.

Plugged many rounds down that rifle ... try shooting from the ground without making a puff of dust that gives the bad guys your position without using a piece of carpet big enough to make it look like a living room floor. :lol Personally, I like the M40A2 better for long range shooting ... but the Barrett will put a hurtin on what ever you hit with it.

Recently, I have switched to the 6.5mm Grendel ... ballistically it reminds me of the .50 in many ways. Still supersonic at 1000 yards!

Fast Freddy

GPS'D 225 MPH
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 5, 2005
Avondale, Arizona
you need a Unertl 10-power scope for the Barrett. They also make a brass deflector for you southpaw shooters ... save the face .. buy a deflector. PM me if you can't find a supplier.

Plugged many rounds down that rifle ... try shooting from the ground without making a puff of dust that gives the bad guys your position without using a piece of carpet big enough to make it look like a living room floor. :lol Personally, I like the M40A2 better for long range shooting ... but the Barrett will put a hurtin on what ever you hit with it.

Recently, I have switched to the 6.5mm Grendel ... ballistically it reminds me of the .50 in many ways. Still supersonic at 1000 yards!

for anything over 500 meters (about 1/3 of a mile) i agree with you i need a scope. but for anything 500 meters or less (the distance at which i shoot at) i don't need a scope. with just the iron sights i have shot a 5 shot group at 500 meters that measured 6 inches :thumbsup

PM with the info on that deflector. i would like to see what that looks like mounted on a gun like mine :cheers

Last edited:

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Lets go shoot some prarie dogs... you got the hardware :)

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.

Yup, every soccer mom driving a Prius in Atherton is packing 50cal heat:lol:willy:lol

PILOTJPW1

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 22, 2005
Maryland
Yea me too. Now I understand

I also shoot right handed weapons left handed I should have realized from the picture. I guess a good .50 caliber left handed is just impossible to buy.
Us lefty's get screwed with just about every mechanical design.

I have some left handed guns and some that kick out the shell on the bottom.

that is my .50 caliber Barrett M82A1 semi-auto rifle that i am shooting there. as you can see from the shell flying out of the ejection port into the air the ejection port is on the right side of the gun. since i am left handed and shoot the gun left handed my face is on the same side of the gun that the ejection port is on. certain types of ammo that i shoot out of this gun eject to the rear as opposed to the side and have hit me in the face. 200+ grains of burnt gun powder makes for one extremely hot peice of brass when it is lit off and thrown back into your face. i had one weld itself to my cheek one time and from that day forward i started wearing a bandana for protection :mad

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
This link is from Stunt's thread. It shows how not to shoot a 50AE pistol. That must have hurt!

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=29025546

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
chic needs to spend more time at Mickey D's putting meat on those bones :)

tpraceman

THEE GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 20, 2006
Washington Michigan
Yup, every soccer mom driving a Prius in Atherton is packing 50cal heat:lol:willy:lol

How funny you would use soccer Mom on a gun thread.

Check this out. Rifle training short
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yn7UzxXv8p4&NR=1

Last edited:

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
I would rather go hunting with Sarah than Dick!

S592R

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 3, 2006
500 meters is the max you're shooting? then what is the size of the back stop you're shooting at? :eek Will try to find a url on the brass deflector ... the problem is most of the guys that make the really cool stuff never place it on the net. :bored But I'll try or send you a photo.

We'll have to hook up and shoot back to back the 82 in .50 vs the 99 in .416 ... but we need a longer range. 2000 yards plus preferred.

djs

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jun 7, 2007
S592. Wasn't the .416 created just to get around the .50 cal prohibition?
Otherwise, the same gun and damn near same ballistics, right?

S592R

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 3, 2006
S592. Wasn't the .416 created just to get around the .50 cal prohibition?
Otherwise, the same gun and damn near same ballistics, right?

Oh no! Not at all. The .416 was designed to improve the ballistic shortcomings of the .50. The .50 is great against material but really not a great sniper round for several reasons. The .416 Barrett uses a different end shape thereby improving flight characteristics, stability and a few other issues. The round carries a great deal of energy at extreme ranges where the .50 actually becomes very weak (relative term here).

There is a very good video on youtube from futureweapons that describes this. The rifle I have is exactly like the one on the video with scope and computer. After years of working numbers in my head and thumbing through ballistic cards I just wanted something simple to shoot at long range. I have yet to shoot mine but have shot the .416 with scope and computer ... it was even more effortless than in the video. I have asked barrett about using it on other rifles and am working on that.

Bang for the buck the .416 Barrett model 99 with scope and computer is a huge deal! The package alone costs less than one of my U-scopes and is spot on with little thought other than ranging which I use a laser finder for anyway.

Basic range and caliber I would recommend would be as this:

0-200 yards 5.56 AR 15 type or accuratized 7.62x39 sks type (depending on target and based upon the cost/ease of locating ammo)
200-600 yards 7.62 x 54 M-14 type or bolt action
100-800/1000 yards 6.5mm Grendel AR 15 type
800-2200 yards .416 Barrett Model 99

The last two I have just recently (last year) been sold on and have shot 1000's of rounds out of the 6.5mm ... will NEVER go back to 5.56 or 7.62 x 54 for any reason as the rifle does both jobs effortlessly.

As for the .416 Barrett ... unless you are shooting at armor .... its more than sufficent. And if you are ... you need to be shooting at under 1000 yards (either .50 or .416 applies here) for enough force to punch on through which means you're under fire also. If you're shooting at something soft ... then the .416 is good for 2200 plus yards. The common misconception is that the .50 is a dedicated killer at huge range on any target which is just not the case. Its a huge round that hits hard and if you are lucky you can walk away from incoming rounds .... but that is the case with any round coming at you. Given a hard enough round with enough velocity and mass anything it hits is toast. As with anything it comes down to picking the right tool for the job at hand.

Are any of them for the "off the street" guy. NO. They are for afficinados, professionals and collectors who want the best.

Sorry for the long answer but have been asked about the .416 several times today and just wanted to answer them all at once. :)

Last edited:

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
What do you think about the .338 Lapua?