The Royal Wedding

AtomicGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 12, 2006
Los Angeles
Got it, Bunting is

Bunting (textile), a lightweight cloth material often used for flags and festive decorations

911teo

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 5, 2007
Surrey, UK
Bunting are those little triangular flags all attached to a line.....

Sometimes you can see them on sailing boats, from the mast to the cleats at bow and stern.....

UnionJackBuntingBig.jpg

standj

GT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 23, 2007
Wyoming
Somebody tell me when it is over!

AtomicGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 12, 2006
Los Angeles
Somehow I believe the American taxpayer is footing the bill for this wedding!

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
So what will the Alldritts be wearing to Westminster, so we can clearly recognize them on the tele as they take their seats in the first 5 rows ?

Look for the special edition Ford GT Forum lapel pin.

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
I shall be wearing my formal Lederhosen.

I was in London today and everyone is in a high state of excitement - it's all rather lovely.

Watching other nations and their presidents, I have to say that having a Royal family that sits above all of the political squabbling and yet represents our nation, is a good thing. William and Kate are a nice young couple and I wish them every bit of luck.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
William and Kate are a nice young couple and I wish them every bit of luck.

:agree: :thumbsup:thumbsup

KJRGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 4, 2006
SoCal
Somehow I believe the American taxpayer is footing the bill for this wedding!

One of your best lines in a long time Doc!

THamonGT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
This event or happening is Royal Tradition and History so get over it Guy's. If you've ever been to the UK you 'd understand. I wish the royal couple many years of happy marriage. They make a great couple. It will be better than most of the crap on TV.

junior

GT Owner
Mar 9, 2007
So Cal
Who's getting married ?

AtomicGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 12, 2006
Los Angeles
Neilda

Post a pint for me to the newly weds.

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
Neilda

Post a pint for me to the newly weds.

a warm one.....:lol

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
This event or happening is Royal Tradition and History so get over it Guy's. If you've ever been to the UK you 'd understand. I wish the royal couple many years of happy marriage. They make a great couple. It will be better than most of the crap on TV.

Tomy,

I've been to the U.K. half a dozen times and I really enjoy all the royal stuff. I always go to Buckingham Palace to watch the changing of the guard, to the Tower of London to check up on the ravens and the Beefeaters, and I really like the military units that are named "The Queens Royal XXXXX" and the Kings Royal XXXX". The military bands that play in the parks are cool and there are military monuments everywhere. I agree with Neil that, even with some tabloid behavior, the Royal family gives Great Britain a sense if identity and historical continuity. Plus, they are a great tourist attraction. All in all a good deal. Look at the magazines at the checkout counter of any grocery store and it seems like middle class women NEED to keep up on the latest gossip about somebody famous. Since we don't have a Royal family here we substitute Hollywood celebrities.

The only thing we have in America that approaches the level of pomp & ceremony that the U.K does so well, is a President's funeral and the changing of the guard at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier at Arlington. And speaking of Presidents, do you remember the cool video of Ronald Reagan and Queen Elizabeth riding horseback in Hyde Park?

After William dumped Kate, she said NOTHING to the press. Even when offered millions of pounds for her story she kept her mouth shut and continued to behave in an exemplary fashion. Pretty impressive. After making the rounds with London's hottest babes, William gathers her back up. Like Tomy, I wish them the best and hope it works out better than it did for the previous generation. Cheers.

All that said.......Neil, are you trying to tell us that you will not be sitting in the first five rows?? You're sitting farther back??

Chip

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
Keep an eye out for a red GT in the parade. :)

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
Not that it matters ,but my wife is English.That being said .I think the royal wedding is a refreshing break from the daily bad news.
It makes us realize there is still some promise in the world.
Just my 02

AtomicGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 12, 2006
Los Angeles
Neilda

Watched the whole event live. What a show. Perfect, great tradition. Royal family looked great, just what they needed was a firm control on their future. Gorgeous bride. Amazing ceremony. Time to be Proud, England, well done!

Triheart7

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 3, 2007
Northern California
Neilda

Watched the whole event live. What a show. Perfect, great tradition. Royal family looked great, just what they needed was a firm control on their future. Gorgeous bride. Amazing ceremony. Time to be Proud, England, well done!

Well said!

I said earlier that I might get sucked into this. I fell asleep with Fox News on last night and woke up in the middle of the wedding vows. I ended staying up the rest of the night to watch.

I found the whole thing to be quite touching. Since I was born in London I got to go to these places when I was a kid and later bring my kids. In particular I recall the overwhelming history of Westminster Abbey and I remember thinking about what it must have been like in the past to see coronations, weddings and funerals of the monarchy over the past 800 or more years. This morning gave us a historic view of an actual event, so even from that perspective it was fascinating.

I also found a strong emotional connection with the Royal Family, just from the point of view that my Great Grandmother and Grandmother used to talk about various coronations and events while they were growing up, so it was nice to think of their memories.

One more silly point. When I was about 8 my best friend joined his church choir. Since I wanted to hang out with my friend, I joined the choir. Anyway, I wore the robes and frilly collar and sang in that high pitched voice. Of course on our knees our heads barely were above the pews and I was never a singer, so I think I got into more trouble talking with my friend. As I said it was a silly point, but for some reason those traditional English Church songs pull at the emotional heart strings.

Kingman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 11, 2006
Surf City, USA
I too got sucked in a little as the funny little honey wanted to watch. I was lucky enough to sleep through most of it and only needed to catch the highlights first thing in the morning to have some pleasant memories return.

I had the opportunity to live in England and enjoyed my first freedoms there as a young man. The 'Tube' and bus system was the gateway to exploring London on your own or with 'mates'. Not a slice of danger if you kept your wits and distance from the 'bobba boys' (skinheads). The small, bespoke car manufacturers appeared to be everywhere.....and every neighbor seemed have a project car underway in their garage. My father was no exception as we built a Marcos (http://www.classicandperformancecar.com/buying/octanebuyingguide/264367/marcos_gt_19642001.html), and the kids across the street turned out a Lotus Elan or Europa every month or so.

Like Triheart, the traditional English church holds a special place as I was an altar boy and gained my first English friends there. The parish priest had an extremely comfortable manner of sidling up to my parents and obtaining an invite over for tea or dinner. He was an extremely talented story teller with a little snuff box he pulled out with regularity. Westminster Abbey is fondly remembered as well as I was confirmed there. Beautiful Gothic architecture that is almost overwhelming.

It was nice that the weather turned out so well. Well done.

Triheart7

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 3, 2007
Northern California
Hey Neil,

I hope it is nice to know you have some expatriates (or however people like myself and Kingman and Rocketman's spouse are labeled) on the Ford GT Forum.

I saw a statistic about the number of pints of beer that will be consumed in England today, I cannot remember how many it was but it was a lot! Anyway, I will take a nap later this morning and then toast a pint later. :cheers

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
Classic

Attachments

• lg_t1larg_rw30_gi_afp.jpg
    lg_t1larg_rw30_gi_afp.jpg
    223.2 KB · Views: 79
Last edited: