The Royal Wedding

AtomicGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 12, 2006
Los Angeles
I think most of us guys who don't understand the workings of the British mind would sincerely appreciate a twice daily update from Neilda. Things like the daily hub of emotions, opinions on what the Royals will be wearing, what is the best Mayfair pub to watch the wedding. Etc?

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit
Inquiring minds want to know.

.........Royal couple seen at Top Gear................

Kingman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 11, 2006
Surf City, USA
I take it you don't share the following opinion:

Jerry Seinfeld Slams Royal Wedding: Comedian Calls It 'Circus Act,' 'Absurd'
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/04/15/jerry-seinfeld-slams-royal-wedding_n_849620.html

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
There is no way I could care any less about the event!!!

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Jerry Seinfeld didn't change my opinion one bit!

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
Gentlemen,

I'm pretty sure Neilda will be sitting in the 1st five rows so I expect him to snap cell phone photos and post up live from the event. Just like we did from Le Mans last summer. Please include details such as how the flowers smell, the emotional state of attendees, and the quality of food and drink at the reception. I plan on staying up all night so post early & often.

Chip

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
My wife is from England and in her most proper English accent stated the bedroom telly will be on at 4AM and tunned to the wedding if for the only reason of paying me back for turning the TV on at 4AM for the last 20 years for the beginning of the 24hr of Le Mans.:bored

Last edited:
H

HHGT

If the world got rid of all royalty, it would not be soon enough for me. I would rather sit on the toilet for 4 hours and get caught up on all my car magazines.

Matech GT1

GT Owner
Apr 2, 2009
London
The British Royal Family are a highly profitable business for UK PLC. Friday is just another excuse for more pageantry and street parties. They cost the taxpayer something like 40p a year per person and generate far far in excess of that. The history behind them is interesting, perhaps not all wonderful, but it's interesting nevertheless. If you can ignore all the media either slating royalty or sucking up to them and just enjoy the spectacle, it's quite a good show.
Just my 2 pennies worth.
Steve

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
I'm going to put on clean underwear for the party.

911teo

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 5, 2007
Surrey, UK
I am so looking forward to Friday....

The roads will be empty with everyone watching TV.....

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
I have no problem with having a Royal family - they cost us very little and yet deliver so much. The trouble is, once you end a thousand years of monarchy, you can't then 're-invent it' later if you found it was a mistake.

FROM YOUR ROYAL CORRESPONDENT

1,700 Number of Rich Tea biscuits used to make wedding cake.

750,000 Number of 'limited edition' commemorative Oyster cards being produced by Transport for London.

162 million Internet pages mentioning the wedding, according to Google.

26,000 Tulips outside Buckingham Palace to be cut before the wedding day after hot weather made them peak early.
187 Horses will be on parade.

100 million Additional pints of beer served over the royal wedding period.

5,000 Number of individual peals of Westminster Abbey’s bells during the service.

35 Sniffer dogs on duty.

120 Miles of bunting on sale in Tesco.

298 Number of street parties in Hertfordshire, the highest figure in country.

79 Percent say the Monarchy will still be here in 25 years time.

London is hosting an extra 600,000 visitors on top of the usual 500,000, creating a spending dividend estimated at $82m.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
I have no problem with having a Royal family - they cost us very little and yet deliver so much. The trouble is, once you end a thousand years of monarchy, you can't then 're-invent it' later if you found it was a mistake.

FROM YOUR ROYAL CORRESPONDENT

1,700 Number of Rich Tea biscuits used to make wedding cake.

750,000 Number of 'limited edition' commemorative Oyster cards being produced by Transport for London.

162 million Internet pages mentioning the wedding, according to Google.

26,000 Tulips outside Buckingham Palace to be cut before the wedding day after hot weather made them peak early.
187 Horses will be on parade.

100 million Additional pints of beer served over the royal wedding period.

5,000 Number of individual peals of Westminster Abbey’s bells during the service.

35 Sniffer dogs on duty.

120 Miles of bunting on sale in Tesco.

298 Number of street parties in Hertfordshire, the highest figure in country.

79 Percent say the Monarchy will still be here in 25 years time.

London is hosting an extra 600,000 visitors on top of the usual 500,000, creating a spending dividend estimated at $82m.

You forgot to mention the new set of china that's being created just for the wedding. I guess Her Majesty doesn't have a matching set already? :shrug

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit
I don't know anything about china, but I heard a report re: weddings bands made of a special 'welch' gold, from a mine that has been long closed. Possible market in reproductions??? :biggrin

jaxgt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
I'd rather eat stale cheese than watch it.

Triheart7

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 3, 2007
Northern California
I am so looking forward to Friday....

The roads will be empty with everyone watching TV.....

Good point.

Heck, I was born in England, so I'll probably get sucked into watching some of it. The Royal stuff reminds me of my late Grandma, who was in the crowd on VE Day. She loved to talk about how the crowd cheered to have the King come out and wave at the crowd.

I will see the crowds and think of my Grandmother.

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
to me its like the olympics, Ill be flipping through channels and say ,oh didnt know it was that time again, then change the channel again :)

AtomicGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 12, 2006
Los Angeles
You deserve that!

AtomicGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 12, 2006
Los Angeles
So what will the Alldritts be wearing to Westminster, so we can clearly recognize them on the tele as they take their seats in the first 5 rows ?

AtomicGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 12, 2006
Los Angeles
By the Way, What is Bunting and why is their 120 miles of it?