Chicago, IL
Did you buy the car?

timcantwell

Le Mans 2010 Sponsor * Moderator
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 22, 2006
N.E. OH & Naples, FL
Contact Lake Forest Sports Cars in the Chicago area. I purchased my 2004 360 Challenge Stradale from them and my 430 Challenge race car. They are very straight-up and authorized Ferrari dealers (Continental is too, and they also are good). Note that you WILL, without question need the major service (engine out) to replace the timing belts. Count on belt tensioners and other misc. stuff. This should cost around $11,000, minimum. Also count on finding things like suspension bushings, etc. that need replaced. You will end up spending about $20,000 average to get it fully up to date. But, wait, it won't end there. Count on spending this amount every 5 to 7 years minimum. Ferrari was saying every 3, but that's excessive. I have owned 10 Ferraris and currently have five in the stable. The care and feeding, especially on the Testarossas, 348, 355's are high. Just go into it knowing that! If you want to get a reality check on prices for parts, go to www.ricambiamerica.com they have an online parts catalog with all prices listed. It pays to shop on that site just to get a sense for key prices for maintenance and wear items.

JCSB

Ex GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
While I agree that maintenance on the older or newer for that matter Ferrari's can be pricey it really doesn't have to be. The 30k maintenance kit from Ricambi which has everything you need is only $1750 and it really isn't hard to drop the engine/transaxle on a TR. It is a complete subframe mount and requires you to remove the plumbing and some wiring, then the bolts holding the subframe and the whole thing rolls out. Takes about 4-6 hours and there she is. I know the independents charge a lot less. I've owned several Ferrari's and presently have 2 in the garage and with a little effort you will find a wide range in part prices.

No Ferrari box parts are cheap. The front wheel bearing for the TR is $700 each (ouch), but there is a fairly extensive cross reference thread that will reduce the cost of many parts, plus I shop in Europe too, there prices seem to be less.

So, if your planning to send your car to Ferrari for maintenance then hold on to your wallet. There is no free lunch there.

John