Testarossa for $30k, need help

metalman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Nov 22, 2006
Hey guys, I have a friend who has a friend who is selling his 1985 Testarossa. I saw it today and it actually looks pretty good. Red with black interior, it's a driver and seller says it's been serviced, (not engine out). Growing up the TR and Countach were THE cars, so I have wanted one or the other parked next to my Heritage since I bought it in 06'.

I can pick up this Ferrari Testarossa for $31k, maybe $29k. Anyway, it looks good inside and out, engine is dirty and honestly, I can't imagine passing it up for $31k, but I know absolutely nothing about these cars and if i saw this car on the street, I would have thought it was worth $80k.

What do you think, sorry, I have no pics, but it looks very good and if I get it, I'll have Jason all over it for an entire day doing clear coat resto, etc. Lastly, any recommendation on a Chicago / Milwaukee area Ferrari tech who is mobile to check it out for me or is there any common ailment that plagues this model / year TR.

Thanks,
The Metalman

MNJason

GT Owner
May 14, 2010
San Diego
I would do some serious research before pulling the trigger, assuming you don't have bottomless pockets. A major could be $20k easy.

I know the owner of Continental Ferrari if you need a good PPI.

I'd start with Fchat.

Last edited:

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
It's all about that engine....

If the belts have not been done ($5k) it could become a paper weight fast

A compression test on all 12 cylinders, and leak down of cooling system is min first step

Check local F dealers it may have been serviced at , run VIN

RUN CAR FAX, damage, inspection emissions are tells

Last edited:

shelbyelite

PERMANENTLY BANNED
May 10, 2007
Honestly, unless it's a hunk of crap, it would be hard to go wrong at that price....

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
for $30k - polish it up and park it.....

........everything above is perfect advice - belts/ Gaskets $5k. Engine pull refurb - $20k.

BTW -Continental was a good shop with a long standing solid history. When I lived in Chicago it was ~3 miles from my old Oakbrook office. Use to test drive cars on the entrance and exit ramps of 294 during lunch.

also, be sure to check the transmission and make sure it is tight and doesn't "pop" out of gear due to abuse....

Last edited:

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
Post on Ferrarichat TR sub-forum; they will know all

metalman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Nov 22, 2006
Done, lots of advice offered right away on Fchat, thanks.

Post on Ferrarichat TR sub-forum; they will know all

JCSB

Ex GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
I own a 91 and have done extensive work and mods on it and I can tell a few of the things you should look for. First if the engine hasn't been out then it hasn't been serviced (period). The engine has to come out to do the cam belts and this is important on a car of this vintage. If a cam belt breaks get your wallet out because this is an interference engine (bent valves or worse). Now because I work on my cars some of the concerns don't bother me so much, but if you don't then they should bother you. 1985 was the first year for TR's and should have the flying single mirror and the normal seat belts (compared to the mouse trap type). These cars are really bargains now if you get a good deal but due your homework and do a leak down on the engine and insure it shifts properly. God bless and may the force be with you. :)
John

RPM217

2005 white/blue stripe
Jun 18, 2010
Rye Brook, New York
for $30k - polish it up and park it.....

........everything above is perfect advice - belts/ Gaskets $5k. Engine pull refurb - $20k.

BTW -Continental was a good shop with a long standing solid history. When I lived in Chicago it was ~3 miles from my old Oakbrook office. Use to test drive cars on the entrance and exit ramps of 294 during lunch.

also, be sure to check the transmission and make sure it is tight and doesn't "pop" out of gear due to abuse....
I have a friend that has a TR that he absolutely loves, when it's running. Right now he's waiting to fix the transmission, I believe it's a 20k # so please heed all the advise here and get a proper PPI before plunking down your cash. The purchase price might be the cheapest part of owning this car, or, you could be lucky and get a "deal"!! Love the car, it's iconic!

BelgianGT

GT Owner
Jul 10, 2010
Belgium
A couple of years ago a guy bought( without the concent of his wife) a second hand testarossa. he did a test drive in town 1-2-3rd gear and all was ok. Car was delivered home - registered and wanted to drive it. Surprise the 5th gear didn't work anymore. He thought minor thing but what a surprise when he got the invoice for the repair. Rebuild the transmission completely. They are very nice cars but when it comes to repairs one will think twice.

gtjoey

Keep Smiling - GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 14, 2005
Thats about right for the car as so many other brands have surpassed that technology...89 and above have the much better bosch fuel injection.....they were prone to over heating if not taken care of. For that amount wash and wax it as said above and even if it craps out its still looks good on the front lawn....:biggrin CIAO CIAO............BELLA..........Oh yeah if the motor wasnt pulled....he's right...its NEVER BEEN SERVICED............Ill take a bad GTgauge over that any day.....meaning pulling the motor....gtjoey1314:thumbsup

red gt 1442

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 23, 2005
NY Metro Area
I did own a brand new 86 TR........I know a little about them........they are nice cars.......but unfortunately dated from todays standards of cars......I am not sure, but I was under the impression that the first year of the American version of the TR was 1986.............If this is true, then what you might want to look into is the DOT paperwork along with the emission federalization for the US.........It might come up......at 30K if it;s a decent car, based on the market sounds cheap.....(by 15K)

JCSB

Ex GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
I did own a brand new 86 TR........I know a little about them........they are nice cars.......but unfortunately dated from todays standards of cars......I am not sure, but I was under the impression that the first year of the American version of the TR was 1986.............If this is true, then what you might want to look into is the DOT paperwork along with the emission federalization for the US.........It might come up......at 30K if it;s a decent car, based on the market sounds cheap.....(by 15K)

Yep I always thought 86 was the first too, but the euro model from my understanding was first released in 85. I agree on it being too cheap too. These were really cruisers more than quick handling cars. I still like mine though and it's a blast to drive, but I trust it about as much as my first wife.:thumbsdow

John

TallCarGuy

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 2, 2006
Santa Ynez, California
The most expensive car in the world is a cheap Ferrari. Old quote but still applicable today.

Richard Hille
The GT School

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
The most expensive car in the world is a cheap Ferrari. Old quote but still applicable today.]

i love it!

I wouldn't own any Ferrari that wasn't under its 2 year warranty. But, you know, old Ferrari's have to go somewhere!

Ed

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
I can pick up this Ferrari Testarossa for $31k, maybe $29k. Anyway, it looks good inside and out, engine is dirty and honestly, I can't imagine passing it up for $31k...

"If it seems too good to be true..."

DoctorV8

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 28, 2006
Houston
I picked up a white on white 89 TR last year to fulfill my high school Miami Vice fantasies....and while I love the car, it's been little driveability issues that keep popping up.....it's an adventure, but totally worth it as long as you have time, patience, and money! :biggrin

davisp

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 18, 2006
New Jersey
I owned a 1989 Red Head (Testarossa) for two years. The car had been well maintained and had very low mileage. I spent $15K during the two years I owned it chasing various gremlins. Think about how far technology has come in 20 + years. As a former member of the Ferrari club, we always recommended that you "always buy the newest Ferrari you can afford, preferably, one under warranty!" Also, if you own a Ford GT, you will be very underwhelmed with the Testarossa's performance. It is a very heavy car and the real power is all at the top end. PD

PS: It was quite a head turner ...

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
Someone smart once said about high cost exotics & mid-tier classics

"It will be hard to make money, even if you get the car for free"

It took me a while to understand the brutal truth of this statement

Belgiumbarry

Sep 3, 2009
i looked it up in Europe.... there are as many Testarossa's for sale as you want...asking price is around 50k euros... seen how many i think you can have one sure for 35K euros.... compare it with a GT : cheapest are 150K euros.
so your price is relevant..... be it in dollars....