Tesla Roadster

SuperB

Board of Directors/Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 8, 2006
South Florida
I finally got my Roadster. It only took 6 years, but it's here.
tesla.jpg

I have not yet had the Tesla at full charge so I can't compare the Tesla the the Ford GT yet. Once I am able to get a full charge, I'll stage a race, however my GT has an upgraded pulley, so I'll also need to find a friend with a stock GT.

My thoughts and comparison so far:

The GT feels faster, because it's loud and as the supercharger spins up, it is quite fast. But, I think a fully charged Tesla would beat if off the line and for the first 100 ft. After 100 ft, I think the GT would pull away.

At around 80 MPH, the Tesla still has a lot of torque, but GT has a TON more, again mine was upgraded, but I think it had a lot more even when it was stock.

The Tesla is a lot of fun to drive, but I'd say the GT is more fun, handles much better, is easier to drive, turns more heads AND has a place to put sunglasses and my phone.

I had though I might sell my GT when the Tesla gets here, right not I am pretty sure I'll keep both. I really really like the Tesla so far, but the cars are so different that neither can replace the other.

I do notice that the motor whine the Tesla makes at deceleration, though very quiet, sounds just a bit like a police siren in the distance, which is frightening, but I'll get used to it. In the GT I can't hear anything but the engine, so it's not an issue.

Either I have not figured out the JVC in the Tesla, or it just isn't that good. The Radio in the GT is much much better and the AC in the GT works GREAT!

Fit and finish on the Tesla is good and what I expected, but it's not quite up to par for what they need for mass production of the model S.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Do you know what the lil black boxes are by the fans under the louvers in the "boot" (front/ hood)?

Mark06GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Congrats!

You got the same color I ordered. Are your wheels standard? They look different than what I had to choose from.

SuperB

Board of Directors/Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 8, 2006
South Florida
I am not sure what little black boxes you are reffering too. I just looked and didn't see any such thing under the front hood.

SuperB

Board of Directors/Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 8, 2006
South Florida
My Roadster arrived with those wheels and a note that these were not the stock wheels I ordered it with, but a newly added, darker color variation that 'they' though looked better. The note also stated that I could have the wheels exchanged free of charge if I wanted the original.

Given that the wheels on my GT are always filthy, and this color wheel will save me lots of cleanup time and the fact that I sort of like the darker look on orange, I think I'll keep it as is.

Mark06GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
I agree about the darker wheels. I've ordered mine with black powder coating. I'm envious. I really wanted to play with my car this summer.

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
nice!

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
I am not sure what little black boxes you are reffering too. I just looked and didn't see any such thing under the front hood.

MY BAD!!!!!!

There's ONE box that has cooling fins on it that lies under the NON louvered section of the "hood"...it's kinda silver greyish & sits in the center of the small compartment just aft of the louvers! It fills about 1/3rd of the space there.

(I'm OLD. I had to look again at the photos I'd taken before I realized I'd "invented" the 2nd box altogether and TRANSPLANTED the whole works as well!)

SuperB

Board of Directors/Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 8, 2006
South Florida
Now I know which box you're talking about, but I don't know what it's for.
I'll try to look that up tonight.

For those with a Tesla on order, get your home charger installed and working at least a week in advance. I didn't and it took 3 days for them to get it working, meanwhile I couldn't charge my car :bored The mobile charger is about useless and the car arrives only half charged. The mobile charger won't work more than an hour if you use and extention cord, so it's a real problem. Lastly, the 30 amp charger is on backorder, so I don't have that yet.

My new baby is charging right now!! Tomorrow will be a good day.

Stewart W

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 12, 2007
Florida
Brian
Congrats on your Tesla..sounds like you are having fun. I have my Arctic White for sale..as my Rossion Q1 will be on the water next week..got to make room by July.
In interim, I will try to hook up with you & the other Tesla Fl.guys for a joy ride.:wink
By the way( the best charge mode is Standard as recommended..you will get around 190 miles and the batteries will last longer than pushing for "performance" or "range" charge modes..

For those interested in my Roadster; it is posted in marketplace;search "Arctic White".. :thumbsup
Currently under 300 miles..

SuperB

Board of Directors/Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 8, 2006
South Florida
The silver thing under the hood with fins in part of the HVAC system.

SuperB

Board of Directors/Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 8, 2006
South Florida
Now that I was able to do a full charge (not in performance mode) the Tesla does seem to perform better and is a lot more fun than before.
I really like the Tesla, and for now I prefer it over the GT, but I am no longer thinking about selling the GT and I've had the GT for quite a while, I'm sure it will be my favorite again soon.

Stewart, what is your comparison of the Tesla to GT.
Bring your Tesla to Tower Shoppes Friday and stick a for sale sign on it.

Stewart W

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 12, 2007
Florida
Now that I was able to do a full charge (not in performance mode) the Tesla does seem to perform better and is a lot more fun than before.
I really like the Tesla, and for now I prefer it over the GT, but I am no longer thinking about selling the GT and I've had the GT for quite a while, I'm sure it will be my favorite again soon.

Stewart, what is your comparison of the Tesla to GT.
Bring your Tesla to Tower Shoppes Friday and stick a for sale sign on it.
Good idea but I am swamped with out of town clients for the next two weeks..Let me know if you happen to hear of anyone interested..
After reading your posts I started thinking about the two cars and I can't comfortably compare in anyway other than straight line speed 0-60 ..The Tesla is easy to go fast..no possibilty of poorly timed shifts etc..Plant your foot,hold on and it goes like hell.
It has nice , clean lines [in my opinion] much nicer than the Lotus from which it evolved.
Fun..and easy to take anywhere as it is a small car.I miss the sound of the engine and I love a manual transmission. That being said,variety is the spice...So,no comparison at this end BUT..FUN,FAST,UNIQUE,LIMITED and part of automotive history in the making.Hope to see you once things settle down at this end. :thumbsup

Attachments

• review pics 021.jpg
    review pics 021.jpg
    118.7 KB · Views: 92
  • review pics 029.jpg
    review pics 029.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 93
  • Tesla Roadster 020.jpg
    Tesla Roadster 020.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 89

Kirby Vieira

GT Owner/B.o.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 22, 2005
Atlanta
Very cool :cheers

Stewart W

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 12, 2007
Florida

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
The silver thing under the hood with fins in part of the HVAC system.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaah! Thanks! ('Not enough "in the know" to see what possible part of the HVAC it constitutes...but, 'preciate the enlightenment, sir! :biggrin :cheers)

SuperB

Board of Directors/Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 8, 2006
South Florida
Stewart, how does your Tesla AC work in the current heat wave? Mine is about useless, wondering if that is normal or if mine have a problem.

Also, my Radio just doesn't seem to sound all the good, how's yours?

Mark06GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
SuperB,

I haven't seen you on the Tesla owner's site in a while. Do you look there? There are several threads about the radio and AC. There's also a thread of "bugs" people have noticed. If you haven't read them yet, it's probably worth a few minutes of your time. Did you get the upgraded stereo or standard?

tmcphail

GT Owner/Vendor
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 24, 2006
St Augustine, Florida
I just want to go for a ride in one. That would make me happy.

Stewart W

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 12, 2007
Florida
I just want to go for a ride in one. That would make me happy.
Come on down ..I will toss you the keys!:thumbsup
Of course in exchange for driving one of your works of art!
:biggrin