Takata airbag recall

Kingman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 11, 2006
Surf City, USA
I know one thing, I'm going to stay with my car.

What....you don't want the lot jockey to 'Test Drive the Air Bag Install?'

http://www.motoringexposure.com/25193/friday-fail-two-mechanics-crash-ferrari-enzo

http://www.copart.com/c2/individualLot.html?lotId=26520334&searchType=onSaleNow

TO AWSUM

Ford GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 4, 2007
Niceville FL
If I am the 2nd owner does that mean I will not get the notice?

The letter says: "If you no longer own this vehicle, and have an address for the current owner, please forward this letter to the new owner." I'd contact the person you bought the car from to see if they received a letter or call Ford directly 866-436-7332 with your VIN.

I checked the automated Ford recall list, and my (late 05) car showed no recalls. Then I called the Ford Customer Service number and spoke to the representative about whether my car will be recalled. I was told that Ford has already notified those affected by the Takata recall, and that my car is not on the list for that recall. Furthermore, I was told that not all GTs will be recalled, because they didn't all necessarily use the same parts. Finally, I asked if that was subject to change in the future, and was told all affected GTs are already identified, and if it's not on the list now it won't be in the future.

What fun!

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
I checked the automated Ford recall list, and my (late 05) car showed no recalls. Then I called the Ford Customer Service number and spoke to the representative about whether my car will be recalled. I was told that Ford has already notified those affected by the Takata recall, and that my car is not on the list for that recall. Furthermore, I was told that not all GTs will be recalled, because they didn't all necessarily use the same parts. Finally, I asked if that was subject to change in the future, and was told all affected GTs are already identified, and if it's not on the list now it won't be in the future.

What fun!

Well, if that representative's response is accurate, there will be a A LOT of unhappy GT owners, myself included.

Well, if that representative's response is accurate, there will be a A LOT of unhappy GT owners, myself included.

Why? Were you notified that your car is on the recall? If it's accurate, I don't need to worry about someone messing with the dash in my car.

TO AWSUM

Ford GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 4, 2007
Niceville FL
Why? Were you notified that your car is on the recall? If it's accurate, I don't need to worry about someone messing with the dash in my car.

That's what I'm a little concerned about. The Service Manager didn't even know what a Ford GT was when I called today. I finally said GT-40 and he said "Oh, ya, I know what you're talking about, that's that $100K car right?" The first time I took my GT to them, their certified GT tech didn't even know how to change the oil. Heard him say, "Why is this always happening?" I asked him, "what keeps happening," and he said he "can only get 1.5 qts of oil in it and then it overfills. So he has to siphon the oil out." I had to tell him it had 3 oil drain plugs. Had to take it back a second time for them to do it correctly and told him about the priming procedure before starting. Haven't been back since and now I do all my own maintenance.

Closest place I know of to trust is Torrie who is 10-12 hours away.

Last edited:

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX

My concern is that they don't really know (or have not revealed to the public) the exact mode of failure. To say that cars in a high temp/high humidity area are more susceptible sounds a lot like they have no clue what they're looking for. Why aren't all the cars in these areas recalled? How can they with 100% certainty know that my car is not affected? I'm pretty sure they can't and are just playing the odds that my car won't shoot schrapnel in my face in the event of a collision. So, no. I'm not at all satisfied with that answer.

My concern is that they don't really know (or have not revealed to the public) the exact mode of failure. To say that cars in a high temp/high humidity area are more susceptible sounds a lot like they have no clue what they're looking for. Why aren't all the cars in these areas recalled? How can they with 100% certainty know that my car is not affected? I'm pretty sure they can't and are just playing the odds that my car won't shoot schrapnel in my face in the event of a collision. So, no. I'm not at all satisfied with that answer.

If that's the case, they're going to have a lot more worries than the air bags in a few thousand GTs ....

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
Don't know which Ford dealer around here I would trust to do the work. I'll have to do some research.

Take it your favorite dealer in Clearwater. I'm sure he has a special deal for you.

My very knowledgeable local Ford (dealer) guy says that the only cars Ford is recalling are those from Florida, Hawaii, US Virgin Islands, and Puerto Rico. The long-term humidity level is the determinant. He did not know what/how Ford would deal with cars that may have been in those areas for a time but are there no longer.

K-P Garage

GT Owner
Sep 12, 2005
Longwood, Florida
I got notice today on my 2005 but nothing on the 2006. Both live in fully a/c garages but I will obey and report what they do to fix. Too bad I can't disguise a gauge to look like an airbag

ENZO BTR

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 11, 2005
Southern California
The "high humidity" angle has to be the stupidest justification for a recall I've ever heard. It's clearly an effort to recall as few cars as possible right now because there are millions that need new air bags and not nearly enough replacement parts available.

I'm sure right now, today, the high humidity cars are MORE LIKELY to have a problem. To say cars in "non-humid" areas (and don't get me started on how nebulous that definition is...) have ZERO risk is bullshit. There have been multiple fatalities from these air bags throwing shrapnel. And guess where some of those fatalities have occurred? California, Oklahoma and Virginia. Notice none of those places are Hawaii, Florida, Puerto Rico or the U.S. Virgin Islands.

And then there's the whole issue of cars that move around, either during single ownership (i.e. spending winters in Florida and summers in a northern state) or from multiple owners. Anyone buy a GT from Florida in the last 12 months? A car that spent its first 9 years in Florida but is now registered in Montana? If that ownership transfer was recorded with Ford and the Ford dealer body than that car is now seen as a "non-Florida" car, so no new air bags for you.

But don't worry, I'm sure your GT's air bags are fine... :screwy:

Last edited:

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
In parts of SF or Daly City the humidity is worst that HI or FL, being at nearly 100% with the fog and salt air for most of the day during more than 1/3 of the year!

GKW05GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 28, 2011
Fayetteville, Ga.
My late 05 says no recalls on website but I know it originally shipped to CT.

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
Relative Humidity is a function of temperature. While the RH here in the mountains can be quite high (right now it's 89%), the moisture level feels to be quite low, as the temperature is 28° F (Dew Point = 100% RH is 25°). In fact, at this level, it feels very dry outside, because the body's temperature of 98.6° F is so much higher, and thus no moisture can collect on it. When it's snowing, it's 100% RH, but the actual amount of water vapor in the air is actually quite small. Yet, condensation will occur at the dew point, no matter what the temperature (think of a cool glass or mirror when taking a shower) if the surface is at the same or lower temperature as the air, and this will lead to corrosion of unprotected or susceptible surfaces. And the corrosion rate will also depend on the actual level of oxygen (the partial pressure, not the percentage), which is altitude dependent.

The actual corrosion of an ordnance casing depends on the history of that particular device, starting from its point of manufacture - not the location that the vehicle happens to reside in. Furthermore, once the corrosion chemical reaction begins, it will continue, at lower levels of the amount of water vapor in the air to which it is exposed.

Today's weather, by the way-
View attachment 36021

Last edited:

junior

GT Owner
Mar 9, 2007
So Cal
The actual corrosion of an ordnance casing depends on the history of that particular device, starting from its point of manufacture - not the location that the vehicle happens to reside in.

Bingo ! - Takata and car manufacturers are singing and dancing around the subject.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Ralphie, have you been taking lessons from IndyGT?

JJayB

GT Owner
Jan 7, 2007
Orange Park Acres, CA
Received my recall notice on 10/31/14 (last Friday). My 05 was sold in Fl but has been in CA since 07. Called local dealer in Orange, CA. to set an appointment for recall. Service dude tells me I have to bring it in so a tech can look at it! I ask him if they have the replacment parts and he tells me you have to bring it in first. Can't you check with parts first? I ask why would I bring it in if you don't have the recall parts so I can make two trips! Disengage with service idiot. Called Ford Customer Service, nice guy who apologized for the bad info from dealer, actually admits the don't have the bulletin to the dealers yet and parts are to go out in third quarter. I tell him it's November so it's the fourth quarter. I press him, he tells me I should get a further letter. Why don't I believe anyone at Ford at this recall.
I'll call another dealer tomorrow and start over.
Jimmy

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
Try Santa Margarita Ford

MNJason

GT Owner
May 14, 2010
San Diego
Talked to Ford and they said my car is not affected. As of today.