Tachometer Stopped Working

GT35065

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Stunts, I'm with you on this one. Is it OK to run without a temperature guage too, which failed at the same time as my tach? Is there an automated shut off if my car over heats? I'll replace the d**n guages, just tell me why they are failing so I don't have to do it several times! Sorry, rant over for now.

ford gt 1625

GT Owner
Sep 1, 2009
Atlanta GA
Without a proper resolve of this difficult trouble shooting issue, in my opinion, future buyers of the FGT will bid down the buy price accordingly to reflect the uncertainty over the seemingly staggering amount of time and trouble, not to mention money to correct the problem. Gosh, every time you turn the key on now, there is that fear that the gauges are going to malfunction. I read earlier that the aluminum frame may be responsible and in the meantime, it seems like throwing new parts at it is the only way to try and correct the issue. Hopefully the pros on the forum here will do just that for the rest of us, and for that, I thank all of you in advance.

I have owned my FGT for 5 months and was the first owner . Paid $ 121K for her but after reading these post over the past 5 months i SOLD her for $131K . There are just way to many problems coming to the surface . Parts are becoming hard to find . This car was only made for two years and was engineered in 15 months maybe that is the problem . I had my dream car but didn't want a nightmare. Don't get me wrong i bleed Ford blue just not with this car.

ViperJoe

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 17, 2006
Washington Crossing, PA
There are just way to many problems coming to the surface.
:confused

skyrex

FORD GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 11, 2008
Lake Las Vegas, Henderson, NV
:confused

+1 If you are going to sell every car that you own because of problems that might occur down the road you might as well switch back to the horse and buggy.......plus you get the benefit of going green. :bs :bored

tmcphail

GT Owner/Vendor
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 24, 2006
St Augustine, Florida
+1 If you are going to sell every car that you own because of problems that might occur down the road you might as well switch back to the horse and buggy.......plus you get the benefit of going green. :bs :bored

:lol:lol:lol:lol

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
I'm completely happy with my car. No real problems with 15K on the odo. For every single person that has had a problem, we have 3-4 without.

RV King

GT Owner
Mar 20, 2007
Laguna Beach, CA
While I think the Ford GT is one of the most beautiful cars I have ever seen...issues like this is what American made cars are known for. :frown

ford gt 1625

GT Owner
Sep 1, 2009
Atlanta GA
While I think the Ford GT is one of the most beautiful cars I have ever seen...issues like this is what American made cars are known for. :frown

Maybe 20 years ago but Ford has come a long way in quality . Ford had to rush this car to market and just maybe that has resulted in some quality issues . I have owned alot SVT products that have had zero problems . I am not saying the car is a big problem . I am just saying the complexity and future parts cost is more than i am willing to gamble on . So i got out with no loss . I was responding to a post that said future owners would pay less for a FGT because of repair cost and parts cost . I have NEVER owned a sports car that had gauge problems , headlight cracks , axle bolts, air cond, vent warps,oil leaks, coolant lines , engine computer, with less than 5000 miles and don't drive it hard with temps lower than 60 degees because there is no traction control. Sorry but that is just to much to worry my little feeble mind about .Plus my driving skills are not up to speed to really enjoy this GREAT car. Well add to this the fuel cap problems it just keeps on.Check back in 20 years and WTF knows if you want to restore one.

Last edited:

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
I think the Ford GT is many peoples first exotic.....it is mine.

With this expectations must be managed.

I have posted on many exotics with idiosyncratic issues.....to down right defects from the BMW Z8 twisting front frame to the F360 and Gallardo owners log, that made one weep, not to mention the famed Sports Car Market article on the F575 Marrenello hellish service bills.

A quick cruise of Ferrari Chats posts list a dozen owners (just click on top views) who are suing F NA for some issues that would make our troubles look like a picnic; not to mention their recent recall with fuel rail fires.

The original Miura was well know for its many issues (esp. fires) to almost every exotic from the Gullwing which fries occupants with non-closeable heat vents in summer to the Ferrari 275 GTB which routinely permanantly damages owners Louis Vuitton luggage and all clothes with its fuel vapor seepage in the trunk-only accessible gas lid.

Exotic cars are not practical.

Dating a super model is not practical; dating a plain jane is.

standj

GT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 23, 2007
Wyoming
Well said +1:thumbsup:thumbsup:thumbsup

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
I think the Ford GT is many peoples first exotic.....it is mine.

With this expectations must be managed.

I have posted on many exotics with idiosyncratic issues.....to down right defects from the BMW Z8 twisting front frame to the F360 and Gallardo owners log, that made one weep, not to mention the famed Sports Car Market article on the F575 Marrenello hellish service bills.

A quick cruise of Ferrari Chats posts list a dozen owners (just click on top views) who are suing F NA for some issues that would make our troubles look like a picnic; not to mention their recent recall with fuel rail fires.

The original Miura was well know for its many issues (esp. fires) to almost every exotic from the Gullwing which fries occupants with non-closeable heat vents in summer to the Ferrari 275 GTB which routinely permanantly damages owners Louis Vuitton luggage and all clothes with its fuel vapor seepage in the trunk-only accessible gas lid.

Exotic cars are not practical.

Dating a super model is not practical; dating a plain jane is.

That post hits the nail squarely on the head.... :cheers

ford gt 1625, you should try owning an Aston Martin, I had three and they spent more time off the road than Santa.

Rare, handbuilt, exotic cars will have problems from time to time - it just goes with the territory.

Having said that, I've had mine from new since 2005 and not had any problems other than an odometer fault which was repaired easily.

69RS/SS

Dec 20, 2009
I have owned my FGT for 5 months and was the first owner . Paid $ 121K for her but after reading these post over the past 5 months i SOLD her for $131K . There are just way to many problems coming to the surface . Parts are becoming hard to find . This car was only made for two years and was engineered in 15 months maybe that is the problem . I had my dream car but didn't want a nightmare. Don't get me wrong i bleed Ford blue just not with this car.

ford gt 1625,

Thank you for your honest reply, it is important. You made your decision based on your situation. I would like to do half as well as you have. Not only did you make a return of 8.26% on your investment, you also were priveledged to have had the opportunity to have been the first owner of a GT. So far, I have done neither (it is a timing issue, working on new garage, etc). How were you able to purchase one new for the price you did? Great going there too!

With your abilities, I wouldn't be surprised to see you as an owner again with another GT and again making money on it all along the way. I bet you have some other Ford "Blues" that are just great!

I really appreciate everbody here. The years of experience and wealth of talent is hard to put a number on but it sure is a big number. With everyones input it is clear to see that the future is very bright.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State

You failed to note/mention that horses DO go lame or toss a shoe and that buggies can lose their wheels, Tom! :biggrin Either can create an unforseen problem at an inconvenient time. :wink :cheers

That said, any of those issues pbly wouldn't require the $$$ of even ONE new GT tach!:lol

...I'm going to my room now... :willy

H

HHGT

Jimmy is a closet communist. His first choice is a Moscovitch 4 door sedan..:willy:willy:willy

Americans innovate, everyone else imitates. Japan has done this since the 60's and the Germans (and all other auto manufacturers for that matter) could not survive without the American consumer/market segment.

As far as the lame and overused "Fit & Finish" garbage statement that wreaks stink to the high heavens, all one has to look at is Toyota - Floor matts my A$$ they paid off politicians and sold statements of "Quality" to everyone that was willing to drink the Kool-Aid. I have seen the finish of Ferraris and Lambos and they are all hand built just as the GT was.

What I find interesting is the # of views of this thread. No doubt Ford is keeping a finger on the pulse and will find resolution just as they did for the Headlights. Their reaction time will have many factors, legal/liability pressure is an important factor - remember the half-shaft bolts.

The GT in my opinion is America's only true exotic and Ford has to (not needs to) back-up its statement of; "The pace car for the entire company" - it will be a responsibility for years to come and even with these snags the cost of ownership will always be cheaper than other exotics.

Come buy me lunch tomorrow Jim...:wink

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California

American cars are always the least expensive to buy and own in their class.

The FGT is no exception. Name another car that has the performance envelope of the FGT that cost less to buy, or maintain. The closest would be the new ZR1, which performace wise fits the bill, but not in other, more subjective areas.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Please reference the Feb 22 AutoWeek, page 19 about the Audi R8 and the numerous little glitches it's had.

RV King

GT Owner
Mar 20, 2007
Laguna Beach, CA
More Kool Aid for Sam (I know you wont post this)...GM to recall 1.3M vehicles for power steering fix :frown

Do you think the CEO of GM is going to be called in by the government for questioning like Mr. Toyoda? Doubtful! :eek

Sam..come take me to lunch tomorrow, we wont need German Shepard protection in my neighborhood and the women are much better looking as well! :wink

From The Detroit News: http://www.detnews.com/article/2010...vehicles-for-power-steering-fix#ixzz0h01pTbIw

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Do you think the CEO of GM is going to be called in by the government for questioning like Mr. Toyoda? Doubtful! :eek

From The Detroit News: http://www.detnews.com/article/2010...vehicles-for-power-steering-fix#ixzz0h01pTbIw

It helps when the majority shareholder and regulator are the same. :thumbsdow

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
It helps when the majority shareholder and regulator are the same. :thumbsdow

...not to mention the CEO!

BillyGT

GT Owner
Jul 3, 2009
The GT is still my fantasy!

I started this thread in late fall 2009 because I had a problem which for me was very "unusual". I still love the my GT even if the tach is boxed up and laying on my passengers seat:eek The GTGuys will be in town 3/19 and I expect they will be able to tell me what is wrong:confused In the mean time when I get in and start my GT it is like going back to my childhood and racing my Ford GT slot car:banana But this time I'am in the real deal:thumbsup

Last edited: