Tachometer Stopped Working

Awsum GT

GT Owner '18
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 17, 2005
Carmel & Cntrl Ca
I have two complete sets of spare OEM gauges. I wonder what they are worth today... Looks like I may be needing them in the future based on what I have been reading here.

gtjoey

Keep Smiling - GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 14, 2005
Awsum gt:huge:gtjoey1314

GT35065

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Well, I just ordered a temp. guage and tach so I have them on hand. Hopefully someone comes up with a fix for them blowing as I'm not real keen on putting them in before we know why they are going bad. As someone noted in another thread, temp guage is on back order until who knows when. Figured if I got another one on order, maybe it will help them get them into production. Tach will be here Friday. Between the two guages my wallet will be about $1721 lighter plus taxes.

tmcphail

GT Owner/Vendor
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 24, 2006
St Augustine, Florida
Well, I just ordered a temp. guage and tach so I have them on hand. Hopefully someone comes up with a fix for them blowing as I'm not real keen on putting them in before we know why they are going bad. As someone noted in another thread, temp guage is on back order until who knows when. Figured if I got another one on order, maybe it will help them get them into production. Tach will be here Friday. Between the two guages my wallet will be about $1721 lighter plus taxes.

I could have worked a better deal for you man !

GT35065

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
I'll PM you.

TO AWSUM

Ford GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 4, 2007
Niceville FL
Poor Faulty Gauge Survey

The faulty gauge survey some of you are talking about is not a good survey. There is no area to provide inputs from those of us that have not had gauge problems. It's a very biased, one sided survey. Maybe a new, more compete survey is required to get the real picture. Adding some "NO" respones to all of those questions would have been more beneficial.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Awsum we're pooling this info for the "Journal of Irreproducible Results."

TO AWSUM

Ford GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 4, 2007
Niceville FL
Frank,

I think I know what you said.

Bill Briley

GT Owner
Aug 9, 2005
Valley Forge PA.
I can't wait to be part of this "Hassel".
Fired her up for the first time in 6 months yesterday................
Damn, No problems !

B. Tender 100% in storage.
5 year old original battery.
4000 miles

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
My tach started acting weird today. It will run up the RPM range fine but gets a little sticky when it tries to drop below 1000 rpms. Seems mechanical... any thoughts from the GT think tanks?

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2006
My tach started acting weird today. It will run up the RPM range fine but gets a little sticky when it tries to drop below 1000 rpms. Seems mechanical... any thoughts from the GT think tanks?

Had similar issue with several speedometers; in this case it is likely mechanical. IMO a good local speedometer repair facility or Hollywood Speedometer in CA can correct this particular issue.

Takes care

Shadowman

Gene Cassone

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 3, 2005
way upstate NY
is it mechanical or other problem? My tach went about a month ago. At first it would not drop after hitting a higher RPM. Now it is stuck at 4000. Replaced battery and always on a charger. No difference. Waiting on news for long term fix before replacing and have it happen again. Any thoughts?

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Had similar issue with several speedometers; in this case it is likely mechanical. IMO a good local speedometer repair facility or Hollywood Speedometer in CA can correct this particular issue.

Takes care

Shadowman

Good news and yet, there is the R&R :bored

Aug 25, 2006
is it mechanical or other problem? My tach went about a month ago. At first it would not drop after hitting a higher RPM. Now it is stuck at 4000. Replaced battery and always on a charger. No difference. Waiting on news for long term fix before replacing and have it happen again. Any thoughts?

Gene

My experience has been;

If they stick at a moment in time they will need to be replaced
If they flutter during a moment in time they can be repaired

As for the removal; it is not difficult and I would gladly walk you through the processes.

Takes care

Shadowman

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
As for the removal; it is not difficult and I would gladly walk you through the processes.

Shadowman

There is a silver lining. :thumbsup

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006

Gene Cassone

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 3, 2005
way upstate NY
Is it true the Tach can be changed without removing the entire instrument cluster? Should I make it a "winter project" in the hope a more permanent solution is found in the mean time? Can anyone suggest a reasonably priced source for gauges because it seems they are quite pricy?

Aug 25, 2006
Is it true the Tach can be changed without removing the entire instrument cluster? Should I make it a "winter project" in the hope a more permanent solution is found in the mean time? Can anyone suggest a reasonably priced source for gauges because it seems they are quite pricy?

Gene

You will need to disconnect the battery, unplug the two blue plugs within the lamp control module located under the driver side of the dash near the "A" pillar and pop loose the one plastic press in wire harness retainer, tape the top of the steering column shroud and "lower" it all the way, remove the Torx securing the gauge panel in position, tape the perimeter/face of the gauges, then slide and pull the gauge panel out at an angle with the left side coming out first and then you can rest it on top of the steering column to replace the tachometer ....

Once completed reverse the process.

FYI getting the panel to come lose can at times be at times challenging however, do “not” get frustrated and then you can also use the wire harness on the back side to push the gauge panel outward.

Let me know if I can assist further

Takes care

Shadowman

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
FYI - words of advice. Do not drink beer when upside down under the dash....it will choke you, come out your nose and make you bang your head...don't ask how I know...

MTV8

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 24, 2010
Houston Texas
FYI - words of advice. Do not drink beer when upside down under the dash....it will choke you, come out your nose and make you bang your head...don't ask how I know...

Thanks for the heads up. I will stick with gin and tonic when working under the dash.