Sunday drive gone wrong

Kave

GT Owner
Nov 13, 2006
Its a nice a day, so I decide to take the gt out for a stroll. I get on wilshire going towards bev hills, and stop at the red light on beverly glen and wilshire. The light turns green and thats when all the trouble start. i put the car into first gear, however first gear at this point seems like neutral. The car will not move, so i completely take my foot off the clutch and leave it in gear, and guess what ,the car is still on, no turn off. By now everbody is honking, but I cannot move the car. I cant find a hole to crawl into(something like a southwest commercial, wanna getaway). Thank goodness i was going a little uphill, so I left the hazards on and just coasted backwards, while playing frogger, so no one would hit me. It was not easy, imagine driving in reverse with cars coming at you for one block.:eek

I call ford roadside assistance and they send me a nice flatbed, with a guy that actually knows what he is doing. I was amazed, he very professionally put the car on the flatbed and he was off. It took a little over an hour but, thats what happens when your car breaks down.

Ps As he lifted the car to get it on the flatbed there was some fluid coming out of the car, does anyone know what that could be?

barondw

GT Owner
Sep 8, 2005
Did you touch the fluid to see if it was oil, water, coolant etc.? Also what color was the fluid.

Dave

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
Sunday Morning - GT Trauma Event

Classic Transaxle symptoms. Soft washer, thus broken bolts and leaking differential seals. Glad you got a good tow outfit. Owners' Assistance does work.

Post the final solution when you get your baby back.

ladams1

GT Owner
Jan 1, 2007
Central Florida
FGT problem

Sorry you had trouble. Please post what the problem turns out to be.

Good luck,

Lee

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
+1

Please give your year and last 4 digits of your vin so that the stats can be recorded for Ford to SEE!

How many more stranded owners will we have before Ford has a TSB and or recall?

BlackICE

FlagstaffGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Welcome to the club that SHOULD NOT EXIST! Seems like it's now at least 5%of all the GT's. Check half shaft and trans axle links here. The good news is that is no real damage. I had to wait 3-4 hours in the AZ. desert for my flatbed. The dealer will steam clean the engine compartment for you, maybe, if you ask nicely.

AZGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 20, 2005
Scottsdale, AZ.
Those are all saying you have the transaxle bolt problem.

Easy fix for the dealer, but crapola ........... Ruins the day.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Ps As he lifted the car to get it on the flatbed there was some fluid coming out of the car, does anyone know what that could be?

My guess is this is a "put on" question, but, being the "dim" guy I am ... It's a 99.999% probability the liquid is Transaxle fluid.

'Pockets

abolfaz

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 11, 2006
Coral Gables
This is where my journey began... Just make sure they do both sides while its at the dealer!

H

HHGT

Sorry about your problems and I hope to God they have the kit in stock.

FORD HAS TO ADDRESS THIS ISSUE - IT MAKES ME SICK TO NO END>>>

Last edited:

abolfaz

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 11, 2006
Coral Gables
Was I the first owner to experience this on the forum?

Kave

GT Owner
Nov 13, 2006
Did you touch the fluid to see if it was oil, water, coolant etc.? Also what color was the fluid.

Dave

Was not water or coolant, it was an oily substance, greenish I guess. I will let everyone know, what galpin ford says.

Kave

GT Owner
Nov 13, 2006
+1

Please give your year and last 4 digits of your vin so that the stats can be recorded for Ford to SEE!

How many more stranded owners will we have before Ford has a TSB and or recall?

BlackICE

06 blk/silver 1120

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
06 blk/silver 1120

Not that it matters, Kave, but how many miles were on your car?

Aug 25, 2006
Uuuugh... thank you for sharing what I too expect to be the "STUPID" half shaft axle bolt issue.

I remain very disappointed with Ford

Shadowman

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Kave, have the service tech show you the broken parts and see if you can keep them. Note if the round washers with two holes in them are black or silver in color. This is a mid production 06 so there is a good chance the washers are the new hardened black colored ones. If so, is there a design flaw?

Also as previously stated, have them repair the other side too!

BlackICE

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
I looked at the latest Florida half shaft victims car when it was at Maroone. It was a late 06 # 18?? It had the black hardened washer and the bolts snapped. The washers were fine no warpage. They were obviously over torqued. The tech said they were very difficult to get out. I'm guessing that when these bolts are over torqued against the hardened washers the expansion from the parts heating up is enough to break them.. No one is safe from this condition. It sounds like it was torque gun roulette at the Ricardo factory..

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
I think they use Lucas torque wrenches.

LEMANSZ

Gt Owner
Jan 11, 2006
SoCal
I'm on the westside as well...sorry for the problem. What dealership did they take it to?

H

HHGT

Has anyone communicated with Ricardo on this issue?

Any of our UK friends PLEASE WALK IN AND VISIT THESE GUYS AND DEMAND ANSWERS.

Ricardo UK
Shoreham Technical Centre
Shoreham-by-Sea
West Sussex
BN43 5FG

T: +44 (0) 1273 455611
F: +44 (0) 1273 464124