Stillen race car

kmillen

Jan 29, 2007
Hey guys,

I just uploaded some images of our race car in the photo gallery. I could only upload 5 today, so tomorrow I'll put on a few more of the car at Willow Springs during testing.

californiacuda

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 21, 2005
Very nice pictures, what mods have been done for racing?

kmillen

Jan 29, 2007
The car has had quite a bit of work done to it and will soon have even more. We raced it in the New Zealand Targa rally and it is currently on a boat on its way home to our shop in Newport Beach California. Before it left we installed Penske front and rear adjustable coil-overs with remote reservoirs. A Stillen ceramic coated X-pipe and cat delete mid-pipes. Bumped up the boost by 1 pound and gave it a custom tune. AP Racing front and rear big brakes. Stillen Chromoly roll-cage, Momo racing seats and harnesses. Air conditioning delete. AP racing performance clutch. 2-way communication intercom system. General freshening; rebuilt the tranny and resealed the engine.

We only had the car for about 3 months before we shipped it to New Zealand and we only worked on it on nights and weekends and it spent about 2 week at the painters, so we didn't really have a lot of time to develop as many parts as we would have liked. We have a list of more things to do when it comes back. More power, new gear ratio, new tires, we also have a few other plans for it but I don't want to let out too much info yet.

Last edited:

californiacuda

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 21, 2005
Wow, quite a list of improvements. I'm putting a cage in my car right now, and I should be able to post some pictures this week. Good luck with your car, it sounds awesome.

kmillen

Jan 29, 2007
What are your plans for your car? What class do you plan on racing in?

californiacuda

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 21, 2005
Different venue than yours. High speed like the Texas Mile, and maybe see what it will do in 1/4 mile. Seems weird for me to take a gt car in this direction, but that's where I'm presently headed.

kmillen

Jan 29, 2007
It's all in what you want to do. A lot of people questioned our sanity when we built our GT for rally racing.

That's the great thing about these cars. They are so versatile that they can perform perfectly in every form of racing. If there is anything you might be interested in or need help with just give me a call.

I will add some more pics of the car in race trim at Willow Springs raceway.

Bart Carter

GT Owner
Mar 12, 2006
Las Vegas
What kind of times were you turning at Willow?

Desi

GT Owner
Jan 30, 2006
Germany
Awesome car and nice colour! What is the tangello and stripe paint code?

Desi

kmillen

Jan 29, 2007
I don't really remember what the lap times were actually. That day was spent fine-tuning the suspension. We weren't too focused on lap times.

Cobraman

GT Owner
Feb 20, 2006
kmillen, Beautiful car! If I had a race event, I would knock a couple of seconds off of your time due to the fact that you would have the best looking car on the grid. :thumbsup John

kmillen

Jan 29, 2007
Thanks for the kind words guys. I just added some pictures of our color-matched Mustang that we built with the GT. It is pretty cool seeing them sitting side by side. Kind of like a big brother, little brother family portrait.

I'm not sure what the exact color code is. I do know that it is a House of colors tangelo orange. And the anthrocite is very close to the factory Ford anthrocite grey.

The car should be back in the next week or so. If you want to come check it out feel free.

Cobraman

GT Owner
Feb 20, 2006
As of today, there's a great video of this car on the www.roadandtrack.com website. A video of the car in action in the New Zealand Targa as well as a nice interview with Steve. Car is beautiful. If I didn't own one, I'd go out and buy one! John :thumbsup

californiacuda

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 21, 2005
Beautiful car, nice fellow in the interview. Just a thought, if the max speed allowed is only 200kmh, wouldn't a lighter less powerful car be a better fit.

kmillen

Jan 29, 2007
The GT is actually a very good fit for the event. There are of course some days where the GT is just too much car for the roads. However, A lot of the roads are windy roads that open up into fast straight aways then tighten back up into windy roads and open again and so on and so on. We are able to pick up a lot of time on our competitors with the acceleration of the GT. Some of the top performing cars on the event are Twin-turbo all wheel drive vehicles like the Nissan Skyline producing around 700 HP and there are quite a lot of Porsche's as well. On some days when the rain wouldn't let up, we suffered, but on the fast days we dominated simply because of the acceleration of the GT. Even at the first race track (there are two proper race-tracks during the event where we had to complete 4 laps.) in the middle of a monsoon we were the fastest by 30 seconds. Beating the all wheel-drive Skylines and Porsche's and even the factory prepped rally cars like the Subaru's and Mitsubishi Evo's.

The car ran really well and we are extremely confident that we will be able to put together a great finish this year. Last year we did alright. I think we finished around 18th overall. Which isn't bad considering it was our first year with the car and we had a couple of silly navigation errors which cost us some time.

californiacuda

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 21, 2005
Thank you for your helpful explanation.

Cobraman

GT Owner
Feb 20, 2006
Yes, thank you. And your explanation of the event certainly explains the need for good brakes. I'm guessing you'll do much better next year with the experience of a race behind you. John

kmillen

Jan 29, 2007
Here are some videos from the rally. The organizers of the event arranged to have a Rally spec Subaru WRX chase around the competitors with a camera mounted in the front bumper. My favorite is the third video. The GT just walks away from the camera car.

http://www.stillen.com/project_vehicles/GTOrange/STILLEN_FordGT.asp?CMP=LEC-FORDGTFORUMS

AZGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 20, 2005
Scottsdale, AZ.
New Road and Track Magazine Coverage

Just read the artlcle in the the new Road and Track. There is also some info in the front about the video.

Great article. Congrats. :cheers

Big question is where can I get an autographed picture of the car with the flames coming out the back - that is just too fu_king cool ............... :banana This is a mooch message.

Wanted to post it here but the magazine spreads it over two pages so puts a line in it.

Also, saw your ad in the back (selling products for the GT). What are you doing for the new rear end ratio? That has been discussed before on the forum but we basically ran in to dead ends / cost prohibitive.

Last edited:

kmillen

Jan 29, 2007
AZGT- Thanks for the kind words. We are very happy with the Road and Track article. We can send out an autographed copy of the poster with your first order haha. Now was that a shameless plug or what?

We have been working with Ricardo in developing a 3.9 ratio for the GT's. When we built the car for the rally we knew that the factory ratio was perfect for high speed runs from 0-60 or mile long runs where top speed is the most important thing. But, on windy roads and tight race tracks as well as typical roads we know we can gain a lot of power and make the car more fun to drive by keeping the engine in the optimum part of the RPM/power band.