May 14, 2010
San Diego
How hard is the install?

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
How hard is the install?

The install instructions are at the Ford Racing Parts site. I didn't install the STS myself since it was at Rich's for a boatload of other stuff, but it is my opinion the hardest part is the R&R of the center console tunnel cover. I got some very good instructions from Rich on how to do that for another reason and if you've never done the center console before figure about 2 hours to do a really good job, take your time and protect everything. As usual with such things on the reinstall I got a few things out of order and had to back up (which meant removing 8 screws). Also, be absolutely positive to check the fit of the shifter rubber cup before screwing down. Mine got jammed and I had to back up again.

The shifter install is another 1.5 hours (my estimate).

Perhaps Torrie or Rich can comment.

Did this topic start a Santa Christmas List for some people?

I think you won't regret the change, and most likely will regret having not done it. What POs me more than anything is that the car didn't come with it originally.

Now the shifter I want is the one in the Porsche video. :)

Last edited:

standj

GT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 23, 2007
Wyoming
The installation isn't hard, but you just have to be careful not to scratch the console or Radio surround area. You just need some basic tools and BLUE TAPE!!!!!!!!!

John

It's worth it!!

usmcfred

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 26, 2006
Massachusetts
I couldn't agree more with all of the positive comments on the STS. The stock unit throw was always too long and this easy mod really makes a big difference. All FGT's should have one. Just keep your OEM shifter squirelled away in case your grandchildren sell the car to a purist in 2062.

Happy Holidays to all!

usmcfred

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
+1

Easy

How hard is the install?

azmurciev12

GT Owner
Apr 15, 2011
anybody where i can still get this? it's NLA. thanks.

FBA

GT Owner
Dec 5, 2010
31.022340° N / 44.846191° W
I go the OEM STS from Ford last summer and I love it, but they wanted $840.00. I paid $490 in the end. I have seen a few other non OEM STS's around for under $500.00...

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
I have seen a few other non OEM STS's around for under $500.00...

Who makes them? May be better than non at all. :rolleyes

FBA

GT Owner
Dec 5, 2010
Here's one - but I think it's the OEM unit - and I can see they're all over the web from 418-500$

http://stores.dixiefordspeedshop.com/-strse-5/FORD-GT-SHORT-THROW/Detail.bok

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Here's one - but I think it's the OEM unit - and I can see they're all over the web from 418-500$

http://stores.dixiefordspeedshop.com/-strse-5/FORD-GT-SHORT-THROW/Detail.bok

I lot of websites are out of date and list items no longer for sale. e.g many sites have the optional BBS wheels listed from FRPP, but if you try to order them, they will later say out of stock.

33Bravo

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Nov 3, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
I lot of websites are out of date and list items no longer for sale. e.g many sites have the optional BBS wheels listed from FRPP, but if you try to order them, they will later say out of stock.

Agreed..

FBA

GT Owner
Dec 5, 2010
As I said, I just got mine from a Ford dealer in August...so I'm betting they're available in some places, still.

Last edited:

Gene Cassone

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 3, 2005
way upstate NY
After reading the positive feedbacks on the STS, I would like to install one. However Ford no longer stocks them and I have not been able to find one (including Torrie no longer has access to them). Does anyone know of a definite source?

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
After reading the positive feedbacks on the STS, I would like to install one. However Ford no longer stocks them and I have not been able to find one (including Torrie no longer has access to them). Does anyone know of a definite source?

At one time, long ago, Mossy Ford in San Diego had 6 of them.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Try O'Meara Ford in Northglen (Denver area), 303-254-5040 (parts)

With all the traffic on this did Santa bring one of these to anyone?

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale

Has anyone tried B&M Direct.. ?? They made then for Ford and used it as bragging rights in there factory catalog in 09 or 10

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Has anyone tried B&M Direct.. ??
I drive right by them twice a day. Batch size quantity is 60 minimum. Maybe we start taking a list and in 3-4 months there's enough interest to make this worthwhile?

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I drive right by them twice a day. Batch size quantity is 60 minimum. Maybe we start taking a list and in 3-4 months there's enough interest to make this worthwhile?

Split a batch with Ford Racing :)

Gene Cassone

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 3, 2005
way upstate NY
thanks for the tips. I will give them a call tomorrow. Otherwise maybe we can start a list!!

zrchris

GT Owner
Aug 12, 2009
Brentwood TN
I buy a great deal of parts from Hurst and B&M. I have an inquiry in about this. Last time I tried I was told it was a Ford exclusive, no one else could buy.