short throw shifter

GKW05GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 28, 2011
Fayetteville, Ga.
Reading the posts on short throw shifters in search I see most all of these were from 2006 and 2007. Are these still available and what do you guys think after a long period of time? I have a buddy who just got a Shelby 500 SVT and the shifter has a much closer throw but has the same smooth shifting as the GT. Any long term feedback?

GT38

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 19, 2008
Glendale, Arizona
Reading the posts on short throw shifters in search I see most all of these were from 2006 and 2007. Are these still available and what do you guys think after a long period of time? I have a buddy who just got a Shelby 500 SVT and the shifter has a much closer throw but has the same smooth shifting as the GT. Any long term feedback?

After two or three years with the short throw, I still love it. Drove another GT with a stock shifter a while back, and it was strange. Absolutely would not go back to the stock shifter.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I had a short throw on my Mustang. I had Rich and the GT Guys put one on the FGT before it even came so I have no comparison to stock but I love it. Rich got the part no problems.

I would be cautious about comparing the STS of the FGT with others. The STS on my Shelby GT was very close. The FGT is still good but my recollection would be still a little longer. It is probably due to the length of the shift lever.

Last edited:

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
I have short shifter since 06, would absolutely do again, also have one in my 08 GT500.

Superfly

HERITAGE GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 23, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta
I have one in mine. LOVE IT!!! Recently got in a GT that doesn't have it and wow, is that ever a noticeable difference. One of the best mods IMO, since it's a change you can FEEL every time you get in the car.

tmcphail

GT Owner/Vendor
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 24, 2006
St Augustine, Florida
I have had one since 2006 and its one of the best mods. I can get one for you if needed. PM or email me torrie@unleashedtuning.com

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I have the install instructions. The hardest part is the R&R of the center console which I had to do for a different reason.

Howard

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 26, 2007
Florida/North Jersey
I love my Ford Racing Short Throw also. MOMO shift knobs have deeper threaded holes than our OEM knobs, so you can "shorten" the throw even more by screwing down the MOMO deeper than stock.

Howard

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
I agree 100% on the STS. But almost as important is swapping to the Exoticare soft boot and bezel to get rid of the unpleasant feel of resting your hand and wrist in the condom(y) feeling rubber boot.

steved57

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 29, 2008
kilgore tx
I love mine too and just the other day I drove the car that doesn't have short throw and wow what a difference

Gierkink

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 5, 2005
Wellington, FL
I agree 100% on the STS. But almost as important is swapping to the Exoticare soft boot and bezel to get rid of the unpleasant feel of resting your hand and wrist in the condom(y) feeling rubber boot.

I totally agree with adding the Exoticare soft boot. I also added the fatter shaft sleeve and I think it looks great with the short-throw shifter. I would definitely do this set of modifications again.

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
I like many here have a ST shifter. Put it in ~200 like many. Will neever go back.

BTW - FGT is a cable control. GT500 is a "rod" based device - big difference!

.... and just put one the kids 11 GT500 - nice but ratchety. He's trying to eleminate the 2nd gear lock out.. [maybe I have it cranked to tight?]

BTW - Torrie is DA MAN for FGT items as other sponsors but the ST is if I remember out of produciton.....

Last edited:

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
I have had one since 2006 and its one of the best mods. I can get one for you if needed. PM or email me torrie@unleashedtuning.com

Torrie,

Do you still have a supply of these??

Chip

tmcphail

GT Owner/Vendor
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 24, 2006
St Augustine, Florida
Torrie,

Do you still have a supply of these??

Chip

I have some inbound for other customers.

MTV8

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 24, 2010
Houston Texas
I am also very happy with the precise feel of the shifter over the stock unit.

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
I can get one for you if needed. PM or email me torrie@unleashedtuning.com

Torrie, can you really get them? Ford Racing shows zero stock for the past couple of weeks. Let me know!

H

HHGT

Torrie, can you really get them? Ford Racing shows zero stock for the past couple of weeks. Let me know!

You forgot to send me Craig's.

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
I am also very happy with the precise feel of the shifter over the stock unit.

Yes - the STS uses brass bushings, while the OEM has rubber ones. Much more precise shift gate with the brass bushings.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Yes - the STS uses brass bushings, while the OEM has rubber ones. Much more precise shift gate with the brass bushings.

The STS has the option of using a solid, I think aluminum, mounting hardware, or the stock style rubber isolated hardware. The mechanism on both shifters use brass bushings on the pivot points.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
You had the only one I knew about at Rally one, you let me shift it, I got it because of you..... I had not idea (then) you sold parts or you would have supplied it too.

thanks bud!!