Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
☝️you did blue springs too!

extrap

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 16, 2020
Gainesville FL
Does the car need an alignment when changing shocks? Or only if changing ride height? Or ... neither?

I thought any change would require it, but looking for confirmation.

Submoose

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 28, 2023
St. Louis, MO
Does the car need an alignment when changing springs? Or only if changing ride height? Or ... neither?

In my experience it is a cheap insurance policy to align a car after a suspension change. Especially with tires in ~short/constrained supply

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
No need to realign if shocks are just swapped for same ride height ones. If lowered (within reason), the alignment should not change appreciably. However, if it's "been awhile" since you last had it checked, I'd recommend it.

dreimer

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 8, 2018
Ponte Vedra Beach, FL
My car is at Rich Brooks right now for routine service and to have the Ahlman shocks installed. I requested stock ride height.

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
As Pete said, alignment will stay the same as long as ride height is the same. There is no alignment change/risk when swapping out the shocks/springs. If you opt for a lower ride height, alignment will change - but it if this is the only change, the resultant alignment conforms to a more street/track set-up. In short, no need to change. Frankly speaking, the vast majority of GT's are going to age out their tires and not wear them out.

All of this is good... because aligning the GT isn't a piece of cake. The GT makes use of specific aluminum spacers behind the a-arm mounting points. I'd venture to guess that 99.999% of alignment shops do not have these spacers and will instead use a different kind of shim that may or may not be suitable for the GT. In sort, be very, very careful of where you take the car for alignment - and give them an opportunity to order the correct alignment shims before you leave the car.

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
I’m looking for a set of Scott’s shocks if anyone has a set they want to sell

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
I usually agree with Kendall on almost everything. On the shims for the suspension alignment, I differ slightly. Some years ago, I went to Home Depot and bought a handful of thin stainless steel washers of the same diameter as the official aluminum shims/spacers. They are around .030" thick. I simply stack them to get the correct adjustments.

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
We're not disagreeing, Pete! I don't consider you to be a typical alignment shop! lol

Reactions: dshears and Johntpr

HOOKED ON GT

GT Owner
Oct 26, 2006
Orlando & Australia
Once I did the suspension I wanted a alignment done.
A friend that has a BMW shop said he seemed to have issues with many shops quality of their work.
He sent me to a shop he liked.
Boy it was not a new shop and in a sus area.
This guy was 100 and had to drive the GT onto two ramps that half floated over a pit.
I was nervous....
Then had to back it over to do the rears.
and then had to reverse the numbers on the machine because it was the backed in for the rear set up.... my lord.

Anyways the car drives great and moves nice and straight with the with both peddles at 150mph

I think Scott gave me some set up preferences (not sure of camber/castor numbers the rubber is 75% worn (rears) currently and no hot spots on tires that would be issue.
Stu

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
And since I recently finished installing the shocks, it was time to turn my attention to some struts.

The rear gas strut replacements from Kendall / Cooltech arrived a couple days ago and I installed them tonight. Remove old struts, add in new brackets on each side to accommodate the larger 10mm ball stud mounting points at the bottom. Silver tops and bottoms on the new ones.

Feels so much better now when the clamshell raises quickly and stays in place with authority. Now I can once again raise my clamshell with confidence.
Struts-7943.jpgStruts-7948.jpg
Struts-7942.jpg

B.M.F.

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 29, 2009
Minnesota
I got him taken care of. Shocks are shipping today.

Reactions: Submoose

Submoose

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 28, 2023
St. Louis, MO
Hey all. New owner of an ’05 here with a shock question. The car I purchased was on the east coast. I had it transported to Bob Ida in NJ and he has run through everything that it needed. A lot of work and 7 weeks later the car is still not drivable because the rear shocks have failed and sat for years with no fluid. Bob tells me Ford is no longer making the shocks and he has no solution. So….what are my options? I ordered a set of Scott Ahlman’s shocks from his website and am hoping he is able to supply but he is not certain that he has the parts necessary to assemble them. I’m open to anything (short of selling this car for parts to one of you).
Hey all. First thanks for all the help and comments. @nota4re and @B.M.F. Got me hooked up with the stock shocks I needed! I did source a few backups (KW suspension with the help of GT101) and *maybe* the last set of Scott Ahlman’s shocks. I was only kinda kidding about the winter driving advice, especially after seeing a post from @2112 yesterday. In all seriousness this has been a ride and I expect to get my car in January. Once there are clear roads I will be driving it home from Ida’s shop with my 16yr old who has been practicing his manual skills by driving my 06 Wrangler :p. Respect and Thanks! Moose.

Reactions: RPM217 and roketman

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
Hey all. First thanks for all the help and comments. @nota4re and @B.M.F. Got me hooked up with the stock shocks I needed! I did source a few backups (KW suspension with the help of GT101) and *maybe* the last set of Scott Ahlman’s shocks. I was only kinda kidding about the winter driving advice, especially after seeing a post from @2112 yesterday. In all seriousness this has been a ride and I expect to get my car in January. Once there are clear roads I will be driving it home from Ida’s shop with my 16yr old who has been practicing his manual skills by driving my 06 Wrangler :p. Respect and Thanks! Moose.
Bob Ida is a class act’
Very knowledgeable on Gt’s

Reactions: RPM217 and Submoose

Desi

GT Owner
Jan 30, 2006
Germany
My front shocks leaked and even new ones I had stocked for years were leaking (seal dried out) and no more spare parts from Ford. My race mechanic built me new ones on base of Öhlins. Perfect fit and excellent characteristics. Tenneco just bought the majority of Swedish Öhlins Racing.

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2023-11-01 at 18.41.03.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2023-11-01 at 18.41.03.jpeg
    143.6 KB · Views: 26

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Kai, very good to hear from you and glad to see you still have your car up and running. Scott Ahlmen here on the forum, was the engineer for the suspension on these cars and has supplied his own version of the Ohlins specifically for the GT. I will send him a text to look in here and see if he can help. Are you still in Berlin?

Reactions: Desi

Desi

GT Owner
Jan 30, 2006
Germany
Hi doc 👋 Nice hearing from you as well! Yes, still in Berlin with my 2006 GT still in the stable ;-) Best, Desi

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Scott will look this over on the weekend when he has some time. Please check Bach then.

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
Gentlemen,

One of my stock rear shocks (coilovers) was leaking when Sanderson Ford picked up my 2006 GT 2 weeks ago for an oil change and a couple other items. I told Brian to order me all 4 new shocks from Ford and they came in today. So they are available now assuming I didn't get the only 2 front and 2 rears that Ford had. I'll keep all 4 of the takeoffs as spares of course.

Chip

Reactions: Stef and Desi

sahlman

Ford GT Team Alumni
Jul 21, 2011
Verona, WI
Does the car need an alignment when changing shocks? Or only if changing ride height? Or ... neither?

Most of my FGT customers go for 0.75" lower. Definitely need to readjust toe and camber will be about -0.375 deg more at the front and rear. So camber should just be adjusted if not equal left to right.

Reactions: roketman