Shocks

Submoose

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 28, 2023
St. Louis, MO
Hey all. New owner of an ’05 here with a shock question. The car I purchased was on the east coast. I had it transported to Bob Ida in NJ and he has run through everything that it needed. A lot of work and 7 weeks later the car is still not drivable because the rear shocks have failed and sat for years with no fluid. Bob tells me Ford is no longer making the shocks and he has no solution. So….what are my options? I ordered a set of Scott Ahlman’s shocks from his website and am hoping he is able to supply but he is not certain that he has the parts necessary to assemble them. I’m open to anything (short of selling this car for parts to one of you).

Howard

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 26, 2007
Florida/North Jersey
Many of us who bought Scott's shocks kept the old ones. I certainly did. Shouldn't be a problem to source used rears.

Johntpr

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 18, 2017
Rockland County, NY
Ford still has stock of rear shocks.

Reactions: analogdesigner

MJSFRX

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 26, 2010
Carlsbad, CA
Hey all. New owner of an ’05 here with a shock question. The car I purchased was on the east coast. I had it transported to Bob Ida in NJ and he has run through everything that it needed. A lot of work and 7 weeks later the car is still not drivable because the rear shocks have failed and sat for years with no fluid. Bob tells me Ford is no longer making the shocks and he has no solution. So….what are my options? I ordered a set of Scott Ahlman’s shocks from his website and am hoping he is able to supply but he is not certain that he has the parts necessary to assemble them. I’m open to anything (short of selling this car for parts to one of you).
Congrats on the Blue FGT. Good buy

Reactions: Submoose

Mule Air

Jan 28, 2019
Raleigh, NC
Rich replaced my front and rear shocks last year. Rich Brooks https://thegtgaragellc.com/

B.M.F.

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 29, 2009
Minnesota
I have got a few brand new sets in stock of oem shocks.

Submoose

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 28, 2023
St. Louis, MO
Thanks for the reply guys, I have about 4 different folks working on sourcing them... All ford orders are essentially denied so far. Many dealers show them but will not sell, even with my VIN. Scott Ahlman is trying to see if he can deliver.
I was not prepared for the difficulty of parts for this car but feel like I am becoming better informed every day!

Submoose

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 28, 2023
St. Louis, MO
If they do, you know something I don’t. No dealer can provide so far.
Ford still has stock of rear shocks.

extrap

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 16, 2020
Gainesville FL
In March at The GT Garage, Rich told me he couldn't get OEM shocks ... at that time anyway; haven't inquired since.

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
Even though I upgraded to Scott's shocks, I guess I better keep my take-offs! Y'know, just in case.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
If you can get Scott's shocks, a key detail some may not know, is that the Ohlin's shocks can be rebuilt, so it will be a "forever" damper, vs the Multimatic OEM units, that are not serviceable.

Reactions: 2112

Submoose

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 28, 2023
St. Louis, MO
@PeteK I think if you can find any parts you ought to hold them but Specracer is right, Scott’s are specifically designed to be serviceable. I know there are Penske replacements and that will be my last landing due to quality/design issues that I have read about. Does anyone know about the K3 system? It appears to be available but I don’t know anything about the product, link below.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
I have the Penskes now. The Heim joints make a little noise over rough road surfaces at slo speed but I love the performance vs. stock. They too are rebuildable and adjustable.

That said, Ahlmans are your best option.

Johntpr

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 18, 2017
Rockland County, NY
When I checked in August there were 297 left in Detroit of the rear shocks. 4G7Z 18125 AA part number.

Submoose

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 28, 2023
St. Louis, MO
When I checked in August there were 297 left in Detroit of the rear shocks. 4G7Z 18125 AA part number.
The available inventory shows 400+ today but no orders are filled and when you call the ford warehouse says they are on back order?! No explanation

DakotaGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2012
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Was BMF’s price too high or something?

Submoose

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 28, 2023
St. Louis, MO
Was BMF’s price too high or something?
No response to my contact yet.

Reactions: DakotaGT

Twturbo

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 28, 2022
Upland SoCal
Congrats on the Blue Gt ,i just picked up a blue one myself through this forum ,check out Ebay there's 4 different sets of shocks for sale on there currently including some Nos Oem ones

Submoose

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 28, 2023
St. Louis, MO
Thanks! My favorite color is all of them. I ordered a set of the KW’s yesterday and I have a few people working on the OEM rears, including a couple guys on the forums. Pretty much every answer you need for this car is in the forums somewhere, it just takes a bit of time and dilligence to search. The OEM shocks are a weird one, however. As has been reported by several in this thread, Ford shows stock and not just a couple, they show hundreds and won’t ship any, even with the VIN. There is something going on but I want to make sure I can service the vehicle over the years so I am turning into a hoarder! I’ll check eBay again this am. Friday there was a set of used OEM rears but I am hoping I can find new.
One of these days I will have a car that can be driven and will drive around the country trying to find all you guys that have helped.
Congrats on the Blue Gt ,i just picked up a blue one myself through this forum ,check out Ebay there's 4 different sets of shocks for sale on there currently including some Nos Oem ones

Reactions: extrap and Johntpr

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
Just replaced all four last weekend in a garage with my buddy. Here's a comparison between the Ford OEM and Ahlman Performance Suspension. Hopefully you don't have too much problem with upgrading those rears.

Sorry to hear about the supply / inventory status mysteries. In years past, it hasn't been too difficult to get primary items, but I fear that time has passed. Fortunately the cars are very robust and OEM parts seem reliable, so the challenges shouldn't be too great, and ownership is truly amazing. The journey makes the finish line that much more rewarding.

IMG_7511sl.jpg