Scottsdale Rally to Rally IV.

JBG

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 25, 2006
Scottsdale
Chip

Thanks for putting this all together :thumbsup Count us in for the festivities. BTW, El Chorro has just been sold and will be closing next month for an extended period. Just a heads up.

John

GT38

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 19, 2008
Glendale, Arizona
We'll be there, of course! :cheers

GT38

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 19, 2008
Glendale, Arizona
Chip

Thanks for putting this all together :thumbsup Count us in for the festivities. BTW, El Chorro has just been sold and will be closing next month for an extended period. Just a heads up.

John

Thanks for the tip, John. Here's the local rag's article:

El Chorro Lodge up for sale
by Carey Sweet - May. 22, 2009 05:50 PM
Special for The Arizona Republic

El Chorro Lodge, the venerable Paradise Valley landmark restaurant and home of the nearly world-renowned sticky buns, is under contract for sale. According to owner Joe Miller, the paperwork should be finalized within a few days.

The purchasers are Kristy Riding Moore and Tim Moore, formerly of Phoenix's Continental Catering, and Jacquie and Bennett Dorrance. Bennett Dorrance is director of DMB Associates, a Scottsdale-based real estate development company specializing in resorts and master-planned communities.

El Chorro employees were notified of the sale this afternoon, Miller said, and that the property will soon close, perhaps for five months or longer. While he's not sure what the new owners plan for the prime, 22-acre parcel on Lincoln Drive and 56th Street, he said he hopes the restaurant's heritage will be preserved.

"It is what it is," he said. "It was time." Built in 1934 as a school for girls, the historic property was converted to a resort in 1937, playing host to celebrities like Clark Gable and Milton Berle. Through the decades, many of the original staffers stayed on, including Miller, who started there as a bartender in 1952, and met his wife Evie on the job. The Millers purchased the Lodge in 1973, and over the next 15 years, expanded the restaurant's capacity from 70 to 165, while still preserving the property's rustic desert charm.

It's long been a favorite gathering spot, known for classic Continental cuisine and signature basket of sticky buns included with each meal.

Details: El Chorro Lodge, 5550 E. Lincoln Drive, Paradise Valley, 480-948-5170, elchorrolodge.com.

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
15 GT's and climbing!!

Gentlemen,

I have known Joe Miller since I was a high school student. I hate it when old established businesses close up shop. Those of us who love the El Chorro Lodge and have been patrons there for many decades have known for a long time that their 22 acre property is worth far more for other purposes than it could ever be worth as a restaurant. Bony told me that El Chorro was one of his "happy places". I'm going to miss that bar.

But occasionally a cherished institution rises from the dead much to the delight of those of us who spent a lot of time there in our younger days. Trader Vic's in Scottsdale was one of my favorite eating and drinking establishments from 1972 to 1988 when it closed up shop. I mourned the demise of that bar and restaurant like the death of a close friend. Three years ago, close to the original location, Trader Vic's re-opened with their spectacular food and incredible drink menu. I discussed our needs for secure parking and adequate space and they are most enthusiastic about the Ford GT Forum's first evening at Trader Vic's. Many of our Forum members have enjoyed Trader Vic's at some exotic place around the world. I can assure all members a spectacular evening in this most impressive establishment.

So far we have 15 Ford GTs attending this year's Scottsdale Rally to the Rally. I'm going to predict an ultimate total of about 30 GTs. For those members attending, either local or out-of-state, I encourage you to contact the GT guys as soon as possible to schedule your work while you're here. Even if you do not intend to attend Rally IV, this is your opportunity to take advantage of having the best GT techs in the world maintain/repair/modify your Ford GT here in the Western United States. Call them or send them a PM. All the best. :cheers

Chip

Last edited:

HiloDave

GT Obsessed
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 7, 2005
Hilo, Hawaii
Trader Vic's is a great choice. I used to go to the one in West Los Angeles when I was too young to drink.

KJRGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 4, 2006
SoCal
Chip, thanks a bunch to you and your bride in hosting us goofballs. :willy
I am looking forward to heading to Scottsdale with the SoCal contingent.
Please make arrangements for me and a co-pilot. :thumbsup

Copenhagen GT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 5, 2008
Copenhagen, Denmark
Chip

Sorry, we won´t be able to attend the Scottsdale pre-Rally as we cannet get all the plans and arrangements for travel, car rental etc. to line up. We will joing the Dallas pre-Rally insteand.

Anders

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
Newest list!

Gentlemen,

As the Rally is now starting first thing Wednesday morning, we will arrange our trip to arrive in Austin on Tuesday. This moves our Rally to the Rally ahead a day. For those members having work done by the GT Guys, please send me a PM as well as contacting them directly. Every one should at least have their car inspected prior to your 200 MPH blast at the mile. A new Whipple or Accufab exhaust will get you there quicker! Here's the latest list.

1. Chip Beck
2. Bony
3. AZGT
4. Ralphie
5. HiloDave
6. Midnite Blu
7. GT38
8. AMB
9. PL510*Jeff
10. Jason's Auto Spa
11. Blue Moose
12. Tim Cantwell
13. Flagstaff GT
14. Aloha GT
15. AZSTAD
16. JBG
17. KJRGT
18. Piccola
19. The GT Guys
20. 4RD GT
21. dbackg

All the best.

Chip

Last edited:

4RD GT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
May 7, 2006
AZ
Scottsdale rally to the rally

Chip, count me in!

AZSTAD

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 4, 2008
Arizona
Trader Vic's is a great spot! Good scene around the "Valley Ho" in general. May be a good spot to negotiate some good room rates for those out-of-towners? But I'm sure they may want to be closer to "Beck Headquarters"?

50 BMG

Aug 3, 2005
AZ
Chip,

Please E-Mail me the info to get in touch with the GT guys. Guess I can't PM anymore without a subscription?

boss_429s@yahoo.com

Thanks!

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
Hotel arrangements finalized!

Gentlemen,

Okay, our hotel arrangements have been finalized at the Marriott Scottsdale Suites Old Town. I have arranged a killer good guy rate of $109 per night (normally $199 per night). This hotel provides our group with separate, barricaded, and very secure underground parking. You can sleep well at night knowing that your baby is out the weather and out of sight. Guarded parking will be provided at all events. In order to guarantee our group rate you must call Marriott's Reservations Department at 1-800-228-9290 and tell them you will be attending the Ford GT Rally over the nights of October 10 and 11 at the Marriott Scottsdale Suites Old Town, 7325 E. 3rd Ave, Scottsdale, Arizona, 85251. Please make your reservation ASAP as I only have 15 rooms guaranteed at this rate. Post up here once your hotel reservations have been made. If you have any difficulties I can be reached on my cell phone at 602-430-4877. This is a very nice hotel with a great bar and restaurant situated in the heart of Old Town Scottsdale. If you need to call the hotel directly(use the 800 number for your reservation) the hotel can be reached at 480-945-1550.

I guarantee everybody a GREAT time!! Cheers! :cheers

Chip

Last edited:

FlagstaffGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Done for the 11th (have some obligations the day before). Thanks Chip once again for obtaining the extraordinary facilities and great rates.

Barry & Arlette.

AMB

GT Owner
Aug 29, 2005
San Diego,Ca.
Scottsdale Marriott Suits Old Town

Reservation made for Saturday & Sunday 10-10/11-2009 !!

Allen Besselievre:thumbsup

KJRGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 4, 2006
SoCal
Thanks Chip for putting the Marriott reservations together for us. I am confirmed for the 10th and 11th. :biggrin

Kevin Roberts

Stef

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 5, 2009
Southern California
Thank You very much, what a very generous offer. Unfortunately I have to many irons in the fire already, so I won't be able to attend, but if there is a next year, I will plan on it. You all will have a blast, I'm jealous :biggrin

KJRGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 4, 2006
SoCal
Chip,
What do you need from us to solidify reservations for our overnight stop between Scottsdale and Austin?

dbackg

dbackg
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 28, 2009
Tempe, AZ
Count me in. Sat & Sunday.
No room needed. I live in Tempe.

Last edited:

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
Scottsdale-Fort Stockton-Austin

Greg,

Got you covered. I'm flying my Glasair to Fort Stockton on Thurs. to look at accomodations for our Monday night stopover and then I'm going on to Austin to make dinner arrangements for our group on Tuesday night. We have some great stuff planned for this years Rally to the Rally. I encourage all West Coast GT owners to join us. The GT Guys will be here on Friday and Saturday to work on your GT as well.

Be there or be square!

Chip

Latest List

1. Chip Beck
2. Bony
3. AZGT
4. Ralphie
5. HiloDave
6. Midnite Blu
7. GT38
8. AMB
9. PL510*Jeff
10. Jason's Auto Spa
11. Blue Moose
12. Tim Cantwell
13. Flagstaff GT
14. Aloha GT
15. AZSTAD
16. JBG
17. KJRGT
18. Piccola
19. The GT Guys
20. 4RD GT
21. dbackg

Last edited:

Nardo GT

Jul 15, 2006
Texas
Westerners.....you don't want to miss a "Chip Beck" rally to the rally. They are phenomenal and first class. :thumbsup:cheers