Scottsdale Rally to Rally IV.

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
Scottsdale Rally to the Rally Reconnasance Run.

Gentlemen,

It order to make final preparations for our overnight stay and dinner in Fort Stockton, Texas on our run from Scottsdale, Arizona to Austin, Texas, I made a 1300 mile round trip reconnaissance run to check out the facilities there yesterday. Fort Stockton is a 650 mile drive from Scottsdale and comfortable accommodations along with a quality dinner and cocktails will be necessary after such a long one day haul. Texas weather has been wet and miserable as of late but I decided to give it a go yesterday. I dodged thunderstorms all the way from El Paso to Fort Stockton in my Glasair III and landed just before a torrential downpour. The airport manager was kind enough to loan me his Jeep Cherokee so I could drive to the available hotels to review accommodations and scout the two decent restaurants in Fort Stockton. Of those two restaurants, only one had a full service bar but the owner informed me that they were closed on Monday nights! What day are we going to be there…..Monday night of course. After a brief conversation with the owner, Johnny Salinas, he agreed to open his wonderful restaurant just for us, on Monday night October 12. Both he and his son are sports car enthusiasts and they are really looking forward to seeing all of our GTs in their parking lot. Dinner will be at 7 p.m. on October 12, at John Chihuahua’s Mexican Restaurant and Cantina, just north if I-10 on exit #259, Fort Stockton. For members who aren’t wild about Mexican food (like me), they offer great steaks and seafood! All Texas members within driving distance of Fort Stockton are welcome to join us for dinner, Makers Mark Manhattens, and good fellowship.

I made hotel arrangements at the Hampton Inn, Fort Stockton on I-10 exit 257. The rooms are very nice. Call them ASAP at (432) 336-9600 and ask for the “Ford GT Forum” group rate of $119 for the night of October 12 (Monday).

If you have any problems I can be reached on my cell phone at (602) 430-4877.

I-Phone photos below are of my solo Rally IV Recon Run. 282 MPH on my GPS is pretty good cross country speed for a single engine aircraft!

All the best.

Chip

Attachments

• Texas 4.jpg
    Texas 4.jpg
    267.1 KB · Views: 179
  • Texas 3.jpg
    Texas 3.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 179
  • Texas 2.jpg
    Texas 2.jpg
    250.4 KB · Views: 179
  • Texas 1.jpg
    Texas 1.jpg
    376.2 KB · Views: 180

AJB

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 28, 2006
Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
Chip - Even though we will be coming directly from Detroit and not joining the 'Rally from Scottsdale" , I just had to applaud you for your 'tour-guide' capabilities. Looking forward to seeing you all in Austin..
andy and margaret
AJB

AZSTAD

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 4, 2008
Arizona
Great stuff Chip. Thanks for all your hard work. I guess I better make reservations for that night, as well as my time in Austin, which I've yet to reserve.

See you within weeks.

Jason's Auto Spa

May 22, 2007
IL & AZ
Great pictures Chip!

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
What a guy!

Triheart7

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 3, 2007
Northern California
What a guy!

:thumbsup

timcantwell

Le Mans 2010 Sponsor * Moderator
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 22, 2006
N.E. OH & Naples, FL
Thanks for making the run Chip. Reservations have been made.

HiloDave

GT Obsessed
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 7, 2005
Hilo, Hawaii
Thanks for all of your work, Chip.

The person at Hampton Inn to whom I spoke didn't know about the Forum group but gave me the $119 rate anyway.

Your plane is beautiful! Reminds me of a P39.

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
Group Rate

Group rateThanks for all of your work, Chip.

The person at Hampton Inn to whom I spoke didn't know about the Forum group but gave me the $119 rate anyway.

Your plane is beautiful! Reminds me of a P39.

Dave,

Thr manager of that Hampton Inn who gave me that rate is "Hemant Gandhi". If anybody has any problems just ask for Hemant or call me.

This is going to be a GREAT time!! :cheers

Chip

KJRGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 4, 2006
SoCal
Chip,
I need to get you and my father in law up in the sky together. He may have one of the few single engine planes that can top you. But he's got a few cylinders on you. :lol
He's in his 70's and still flies his P-51 every other week.
Thanks for your recon work, I'll make my reservations in the morning. :thumbsup

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
P51 - f15

Chip,
I need to get you and my father in law up in the sky together. He may have one of the few single engine planes that can top you. But he's got a few cylinders on you. :lol
He's in his 70's and still flies his P-51 every other week.

:eek :eek :eek :eek :willy :thumbsup

I would LOVE that!!! Say when and I'll be there. Here's a photo of me flying with another fighter. A 360 MPH low pass during an Arizona airshow with Capt. Matt Beal in a USAF F-15. I'd rather fly with, or ride in, your father in laws Mustang! :banana :banana :banana

Chip

Attachments

• F-15.jpg
    F-15.jpg
    370.8 KB · Views: 201

BigsGT

Tungsten GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 8, 2006
Austin Texas
I'm not sure where the Tuesday night dinner thread is Chip but count me in!

Spirit

Heritage GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
½ of the “Rally To The Rally”

Chip,

Mrs. Spirit & I will only be able to do ½ of the “Rally To The Rally” this year [I know, I know, guess we’re getting old & lazy] just can’t get away to go all the way out to AZ.

Where are all them Texans?:lol

Just can’t miss this event.

Will “race” you to Ft. Stockton [my calculator says 253 miles from the ranch] on Monday Oct. 12th [reservations make at the Hampton Inn] and YES, we love Mexican Food.:thumbsup

Thanks for the invite.

See all you from West of the Pecos then.:cheers
:usa

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
Head for the Fort.

Where are all them Texans?:lol

Just can’t miss this event.

Will “race” you to Ft. Stockton [my calculator says 253 miles from the ranch] on Monday Oct. 12th [reservations make at the Hampton Inn] and YES, we love Mexican Food.:thumbsup

Thanks for the invite.

Spirit,

Outstanding! Glad you will be joining us. See if you can get some of your fellow Texans to join us in Fort Stockton as well!

Chip

JBG

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 25, 2006
Scottsdale
Chip

Thanks for all your time and effort putting another Rally to the Rally together :thumbsup As usual, it will be a great time. Reservations made for Ft Stockton and Austin. Add 2 of us for all the festivities :banana

John

timcantwell

Le Mans 2010 Sponsor * Moderator
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 22, 2006
N.E. OH & Naples, FL
I'm not sure where the Tuesday night dinner thread is Chip but count me in!

Chip, Garrett saw the Tuesday night announcement, but I did not find the thread either, count he and I in (2) for Tuesday dinner.

KJRGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 4, 2006
SoCal
Chip,
Awesome picture...that must have been a blast. :thumbsup
Made my Hampton Inn room reseravation today. BTW, when I asked the gal on the phone what the price was she could not, or would not, tell me. Instead she said her boss and you were working it out.

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
$119

Chip,
Made my Hampton Inn room reseravation today. BTW, when I asked the gal on the phone what the price was she could not, or would not, tell me. Instead she said her boss and you were working it out.

It's $119.

Nardo GT

Jul 15, 2006
Texas
It's $119.

Is that with the "senior" discount? :lol

Blue Moose

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 12, 2006
Chandler,Arizona.
Count 2 mooses in for dinner on Tuesday.