Running Hot

MR2Race

FGT The Velvet Hammer
Apr 6, 2006
Northville Mi.
There is a self-regulating feature built into the engine controller. That will reduce ignition spark advance. And richen the fuel mixture at a safe 240 deg F.
The sharpest Ford Engine Guy I know told me. That no damage will be done until you reach 250 deg.F

But the Engine Controller will never let you get there. I know, my self and others have tried to melt it down. The system just goes in to limp home. Until the coolant temp falls back below 240 F. And it will, as the engine stops pulling hard and the throttle becomes unresponsive. I know this is difficult idea to feel comfortable with. Just trust in the electronics.

There is some good news. Under normal driving this should never be an issue.
Unless you are running in second gear at freeway speeds 65 – 70 mph for long distances.
Or on small road courses where the average speeds are below 70 mph. With a lot of running in first and second gear.

Please keep in mind that the cooling system (and the innercooler) must be filled using a Vacuum-filling tool (Please see the service manual). Without a vacuum filling system you will have air pockets in the cooling system. And you will have a real over heating problem with hot coolant spraying everywhere.

And at top speed it will never be a problem. You will have enough air speed and flow throw the rad pack. Even at 212 MPH in 5th gear, trust me

I developed a pass fail test for the GT cooling system. But I need to go now But will let you in on it Soon .

analogdesigner

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 15, 2005
San Clemente, CA USA
Good feature

Thanks for the "hot" news! That's a real good a safety feature to have.

MR2Race said:
There is a self-regulating feature built into the engine controller. That will reduce ignition spark advance. And richen the fuel mixture at a safe 240 deg F.
The sharpest Ford Engine Guy I know told me. That no damage will be done until you reach 250 deg.F

But the Engine Controller will never let you get there. I know, my self and others have tried to melt it down. The system just goes in to limp home. Until the coolant temp falls back below 240 F. And it will, as the engine stops pulling hard and the throttle becomes unresponsive. I know this is difficult idea to feel comfortable with. Just trust in the electronics.

There is some good news. Under normal driving this should never be an issue.
Unless you are running in second gear at freeway speeds 65 – 70 mph for long distances.
Or on small road courses where the average speeds are below 70 mph. With a lot of running in first and second gear.

Please keep in mind that the cooling system (and the innercooler) must be filled using a Vacuum-filling tool (Please see the service manual). Without a vacuum filling system you will have air pockets in the cooling system. And you will have a real over heating problem with hot coolant spraying everywhere.

And at top speed it will never be a problem. You will have enough air speed and flow throw the rad pack. Even at 212 MPH in 5th gear, trust me

I developed a pass fail test for the GT cooling system. But I need to go now But will let you in on it Soon .

canibl

GT Owner
Nov 22, 2005
Sacramento, Cali
exhaust wrap, friend or foe?

So, much talk has been done about engine compartment temperatures and ways of reducing it but so far no one has mentioned exhaust wrap. It's cheap, it insulates the pipes thus keeping the heat in and therefore developing more hp for your GT. But obviously there's a few concerns that arise (it's not all gold that shines...):
1) do you wrap the catalytic converter too?
2) is the stock forged steel header going to crack under the higher heat?
3) how is the steinless steel affected by the added heat?
4) how about oxygen sensors and any other sensors going to be affected?
5) is wrap better suited for racing or even for street use?
6) is it a win-win situation?

Thanks guys

barondw

GT Owner
Sep 8, 2005
Canibl

The problem would still be that heat is trapped in the engine bay with no real way to escape. Thus heat soak would still be an issue to some degree (no pun intended).

Dave