Rear license Plate Frames

sharp33

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 19, 2006
Rochester, NY
Any advice to new owners on rear license plate frames? With all of the heat exiting in that area is there a concern about melting a plastic frame or a plastic laser beam diffuser over the plate? Does anyone know if a back up camera such as the platecam can stand up to the heat of a red hot GT? Does anyone make a genuine carbon fiber plate frame (not a cheapy plastic faux CF frame)?

SuperB

Board of Directors/Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 8, 2006
South Florida
My dealer put one of those plastic fake things to wrap the temp tag around and it was starting to melt, so I don't think any plastic of any type will work.

Do without a frame, don't need the extra weight :wink

LEMANSZ

Gt Owner
Jan 11, 2006
SoCal
I went wiht metal

AZGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 20, 2005
Scottsdale, AZ.
You can do the fancy frame from FRP for stupid money ($129.00), or go to Autozone / Checker and buy a metal one for about $7.00. They have a bleck one with all four screw holes (most only have two so can do some vibrating). Works perfect - and no melt.

http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts/part_details.asp?PartKeyField=7348

http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts/part_details.asp?PartKeyField=7344

sharp33

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 19, 2006
Rochester, NY
AZGT said:
You can do the fancy frame from FRP for stupid money ($129.00), or go to Autozone / Checker and buy a metal one for about $7.00. They have a bleck one with all four screw holes (most only have two so can do some vibrating). Works perfect - and no melt.

http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts/part_details.asp?PartKeyField=7348

http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts/part_details.asp?PartKeyField=7344

Wow! Who would have thought FRP would produce a license plate frame? For that kind of money it should produce down force. I would think that for track events it would be advisable to remove the plate altogether and let the hot air escape better. I've considered drilling the license plate to allow air to exit (and save weight). Nothing drastic but any airflow improvement seems worth considering. :shrug

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
sharp33 said:
For that kind of money it should produce down force.

:lol

AZGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 20, 2005
Scottsdale, AZ.
sharp33 said:
I've considered drilling the license plate to allow air to exit (and save weight).

You fit right in here :cheers

If you drill it right, with the air going through maybe it will hum a song :biggrin

P.S.

Oh my God I'm old.

All of a sudden in my head I was hearing your plate making music for the Kinks "Catch me if you can". Strange idea, but appropriate for the GT.

There we go, another new plate idea - CatchMe

Last edited:

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Somebody already tried putting spacers behind the license plate to increase airflow. Didn't do anything.

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
FRP plate frame

sharp33 said:
Wow! Who would have thought FRP would produce a license plate frame? For that kind of money it should produce down force. I would think that for track events it would be advisable to remove the plate altogether and let the hot air escape better. I've considered drilling the license plate to allow air to exit (and save weight). Nothing drastic but any airflow improvement seems worth considering. :shrug
You obviously have not read the engineering specs on this special racing plate frame. It does produce downforce, and you dont have to be going 100+ for it to work it's magic. You get 7 ounces of downforce at any speed, even standing still! :biggrin

Chip

KJD

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 21, 2005
Location, Location
Chip,

I'm gonna need Jay-analogdesigner to review and verify your estimate! :lol

SuperB

Board of Directors/Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 8, 2006
South Florida
For $129 it's probably got a big fat heavy logo on it, so I'm sure 8-10 oz. is more like it.

Amazing they have a $10 product for $129 and not even a picture. Come on Ford, what the heck is that.

LEMANSZ

Gt Owner
Jan 11, 2006
SoCal
I got a metal frame, put half-inch spacers behind the bolts to let air flow and it did the trick.

sharp33

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 19, 2006
Rochester, NY
LEMANSZ said:
I got a metal frame, put half-inch spacers behind the bolts to let air flow and it did the trick.

It seems obvious that Ford planned on hot air exiting from this region. They also provided attachment hardware long enough to allow for a spacer. As soon as I get some aluminum cut to size I'm also going to create a gap. In addition I'm still seriously considering swiss cheesing the plate admittedly for a miniscule improvement. :thumbsup

Red Rocket

GT Owner
Aug 31, 2006
Pacific North West
FYI, after reading several posts here I fabbed some 1/2 inch spacers (out of aluminum of course). And I swear the car runs 15 - 20 degrees F. cooler now. It may be that the denser, cooler air we get here off the ocean helps quite a bit, but clearly the air flow thru the engine compartment has changed and allowed the cooler outside air to circulate better.

Silverbullitt

GT Owner
Mar 3, 2006
Lago Vista, TX
I put a free SVT frame I received at the Centennial. The SVT logo alone added 50 rwhp on a dynojet. This car should have had an SVT badge all along.

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
My hat is off to those who have fab'd or purchased their own unique solution to the plate spacers. Does it help or not? Conceptually, it sure seems to make sense. To those that may prefer to buy vs make, I have both the spacers and simple-black metal license plate frames in stock....

License Plate & Spacers

FlorIdaho Chris

Yeah, I've got one.
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
nota4re said:
My hat is off to those who have fab'd or purchased their own unique solution to the plate spacers. Does it help or not? Conceptually, it sure seems to make sense. To those that may prefer to buy vs make, I have both the spacers and simple-black metal license plate frames in stock....

License Plate & Spacers

I have your product on both my GTs. Don't know if it works, but I like thinking it does. My time and gas is just worth may more than the $20 I spent ordering these from Nota4E.

ViperJoe

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 17, 2006
Washington Crossing, PA
Black metal frame from Pep Boys $6.00
1/2" bronze spacers from Lowe's $7.00

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Black metal frame from Pep Boys $6.00 1/2" bronze spacers from Lowe's $7.00

ACRJoe, you cant' be serious to try to compare the CoolTech products with Lowe's and Pep Boys. Let's be serious! I know for a fact that spacers and frames from these retail giants are born and raised in terribly harsh environments. At young ages they are seperated from the families and distributed throughout the nation. No regard at all for whom they are sold too. That same frame can end up on a Yugo, or even a Pinto (well, at least it's a Ford).

In contrast, Cool Tech products are hand-raised with the utmost care and support. Identified early for proud representation on Ford GTs. The spacers and frames I sell are programmed to self-destruct if installed on a lesser vehicle. (Please don't test this - it's true.) Additionally, if you hold your cell phone up to a Cool Tech spacer or frame when you accidentally lock your keys in your car, and you have someone from the other end press the remote, do you know what will happen? Nothing. Absolutely friggen' nothin'. Isn't that cool? Try that with your common retail giant product! The Yugo parked next to you will probably spontaneously erupt in flames.

Never underestimate the coolness of the CoolTech products! I'm so insulted!

ViperJoe

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 17, 2006
Washington Crossing, PA
nota4re said:
ACRJoe, you cant' be serious to try to compare the CoolTech products with Lowe's and Pep Boys. Let's be serious! I know for a fact that spacers and frames from these retail giants are born and raised in terribly harsh environments. At young ages they are seperated from the families and distributed throughout the nation. No regard at all for whom they are sold too. That same frame can end up on a Yugo, or even a Pinto (well, at least it's a Ford).

In contrast, Cool Tech products are hand-raised with the utmost care and support. Identified early for proud representation on Ford GTs. The spacers and frames I sell are programmed to self-destruct if installed on a lesser vehicle. (Please don't test this - it's true.) Additionally, if you hold your cell phone up to a Cool Tech spacer or frame when you accidentally lock your keys in your car, and you have someone from the other end press the remote, do you know what will happen? Nothing. Absolutely friggen' nothin'. Isn't that cool? Try that with your common retail giant product! The Yugo parked next to you will probably spontaneously erupt in flames.

Never underestimate the coolness of the CoolTech products! I'm so insulted!
I meant no disrespect to your products which I am certain are of the highest quality.