Rally IV, 2009 - What State? What Track?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nardo GT

Jul 15, 2006
Texas
+ 1 million points for Nardo car ownership.

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit
I would say - yes............ :cheers Congratulations on the purchase.!

If Indy GT had decided to go ahead with my plan/offer of fractional interest, that baby would be back in Detroit tonight and we'd be having the rally at Indianapolis Motor Speedway!

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
No rain would be nice

I would go for a time of the year & location where the driest weather could be anticipated. Texas in the spring, CA from spring to fall, or any other location that has a large amount of friendly highway patrol officers (or Park Rangers for Soroush!).

Ed (spoiled Californian) Sims

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
If it is TX, make sure it isn't during the hail season. I had my fill of the small NV hail during the Rally III drive and I know everything is bigger in TX.

TX hail can ruin more than your day!

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
Would a vote be fair, with an adjustment of 3 points for each rally already attended, and an adjustment of 10 points for MarkIV members, 5 points for MarkII?

your just trying to get me to upgrade my membership:biggrin ok how about 20 points for recently upgraded members:lol

Last edited:

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
I would go for a time of the year & location where the driest weather could be anticipated. Texas in the spring, CA from spring to fall, or any other location that has a large amount of friendly highway patrol officers (or Park Rangers for Soroush!).

Ed (spoiled Californian) Sims

Hey Ed your forgetting sanjay and chet.:lol

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
Ed ,
Don't feel bad a lot of Californians smell that way !!
" Ed (spoiled Californian) Sims "

AlohaGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 13, 2007
Honolulu, HI
I'm with Awsum on this one ... Hawaii would be great. Plenty of good food, weather and scenery as a backdrop for Rally 4. Racetracks? Well, nothing the size of LVMS, but I used to hang out sometimes at Hawaii raceway park outside of Honolulu, it has a small track and a dragstrip http://www.racereview.com/ha-h-tracks.htm#RACEWAY

But, just think of the great driving possibilities.

My votes:

1 Hawaii
2 Monterey
3 Florida

Since last year's Rally II, some of you may recall my promotion of Hawaii for, at least, a mini-Rally. Upon my return to the islands, I've met with the owner of the company that flew my FGT to LAX and back. I'm working with her on a special group rate for you all (and also discussed our Le Mans trip for 2010). Alternatively, there are a couple of good shipping options as well and can work on a group rate for that.

We now have a Superferry that boogies between Oahu and Maui. Upon my return from Japan, we'll be joining about 30 - 40 other exotics from both islands this weekend on Maui. I'll try to remember to take some pix so all of you can see what it's like. Next year, another Superferry will be placed into service which will include the Big Island of Hawaii and possibly Kauai. This is the first time in the history of the isles that we're able to drive on and off, it's a short 3 hours between Oahu and Maui, and it's breathtaking scenery.

The other islands have some tracks but Hawaii Raceway Park has been closed. There is a movement underway to get another track built on Oahu; meanwhile, I understand the Aloha Stadium parking lot is used by the SCCA.

AZSTAD

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 4, 2008
Arizona
Aloha GT - I love Hawaii and the thought of some of the great roads on the islands in a GT. Especially if we did inter-island ferries. Wonder what the attendance would be like and the costs for transport?

Funny though, usually I dream about Hawaii in a different way...riding a beach cruiser with flip flops in the little town of Hanalei on Kauai. But now this will be on my mind.

I'd say:
1. Monterey [we would have to think about noise constraints at Laguna Seca]
2. Detroit [I missed Rally I and this would be cool]
3. Hawaii [sights, great roads, food, entertainment...sights]

Awsum GT

GT Owner '18
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 17, 2005
Carmel & Cntrl Ca
I have decided where it will be and will let you all know in a few days.

PHXGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 11, 2005
Phoenix, AZ
Phoenix in the spring is great. However, hotel rooms are high. Good news is access to a couple race tracks, Penske Museum, dry whether, great restaraunts, Bonderant School, etc......

Piccola

GT aficionado
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 17, 2006
Grand Junction, CO
Aloha,

How about a mini rally if it doesn't work out for those of us that have never been to Hawaii??? :biggrin

Mary Jo

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
Aloha,

How about a mini rally if it doesn't work out for those of us that have never been to Hawaii??? :biggrin

Mary Jo

Is this post conveniently and purposely timed with the upcoming B-Day I heard about?:lol

AlohaGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 13, 2007
Honolulu, HI
Aloha,

Mary Jo

Mary Jo, I'll definitely put something together and determine how much interest there is in an Hawaiian FGT Rally. In my discussions with many Forum members, there appears to be quite a few of you.

Here's my post from yesterday in case you missed it: "Since last year's Rally II, some of you may recall my promotion of Hawaii for, at least, a mini-Rally. Upon my return to the islands, I've met with the owner of the company that flew my FGT to LAX and back. I'm working with her on a special group rate for you all (and also discussed our Le Mans trip for 2010). Alternatively, there are a couple of good shipping options as well and can work on a group rate for that.

We now have a Superferry that boogies between Oahu and Maui. Upon my return from Japan, we'll be joining about 30 - 40 other exotics from both islands this weekend on Maui. I'll try to remember to take some pix so all of you can see what it's like. Next year, another Superferry will be placed into service which will include the Big Island of Hawaii and possibly Kauai. This is the first time in the history of the isles that we're able to drive on and off, it's a short 3 hours between Oahu and Maui, and it's breathtaking scenery.

The other islands have some tracks but Hawaii Raceway Park has been closed. There is a movement underway to get another track built on Oahu; meanwhile, I understand the Aloha Stadium parking lot is used by the SCCA."

AlohaGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 13, 2007
Honolulu, HI
Aloha GT - I love Hawaii and the thought of some of the great roads on the islands in a GT. Especially if we did inter-island ferries. Wonder what the attendance would be like and the costs for transport?

Funny though, usually I dream about Hawaii in a different way...riding a beach cruiser with flip flops in the little town of Hanalei on Kauai. But now this will be on my mind.

I'd say:
1. Monterey [we would have to think about noise constraints at Laguna Seca]
2. Detroit [I missed Rally I and this would be cool]
3. Hawaii [sights, great roads, food, entertainment...sights]

AZSTAD, we can do the beach cruiser in Hanalei but the FGT cruiser will be much more fun.

Considering we did California last year and Detroit the year before, Hawaii it is! :biggrin

Nardo GT

Jul 15, 2006
Texas
AZSTAD, we can do the beach cruiser in Hanalei but the FGT cruiser will be much more fun.

Considering we did California last year and Detroit the year before, Hawaii it is! :biggrin

Did I mention Carroll Shelby's ranch is only 3hrs from my house in Texas? I talked to Cleo and they spend a great deal of time there.

Piccola

GT aficionado
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 17, 2006
Grand Junction, CO
Is this post conveniently and purposely timed with the upcoming B-Day I heard about?:lol

Didn't think of that, but it would be a great place to spend next year's b-day, wouldn't it? Great people, fast cars, lots of fun... :banana However, I will still get to see a GT or two for my b-day this year. I'm spending the weekend with some of my Atlanta GT friends watching football. :biggrin

GTNJ

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 21, 2006
State of Confusion
Aloha,

Mary Jo

Best suggestion yet. :thumbsup

AlohaGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 13, 2007
Honolulu, HI
Best suggestion yet. :thumbsup

Looks like we're building interest for Hawaii mini-Rally! Hopefully, I'll remember to snap some shots this weekend.

AlohaGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 13, 2007
Honolulu, HI
Did I mention Carroll Shelby's ranch is only 3hrs from my house in Texas? I talked to Cleo and they spend a great deal of time there.

Maybe instead of them coming to us, we can go to them.

Status
Not open for further replies.