Status
Not open for further replies.

Dirk P

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 18, 2006
Orlando Florida
Venetian/Palazzo

I have talked to my contacts at the Venetian and they are Very interested in hosting our little get together. I need the dates and possible room count. Once I have the dates I will start on the banquet room and Party. I will see what they will kick in for the party.

:cheers

AtomicGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 12, 2006
Los Angeles
We had the Viper Owners International 9 event at the Venetian in September 06, an excellent hotel and venue. Although a little hot in September! :thumbsup

Tungsten

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 22, 2006
Atlanta
Sign me up!

Sign me up!
Tungsten

FlorIdaho Chris

Yeah, I've got one.
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Uh oh. I've got a hypothesis of what's happened here. :willy Well it's one of two.

You and me both...:eek

DAVNET

GT Owner
Jan 6, 2008
Oregon
What a Great Idea!

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
In Vegas now, plotting, planning, scouting...:pop

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
To paraphrase Jack Web (Joe Firday):

"The dates, sir. Just gimme the dates." :lol

Waldo

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 7, 2005
Fort Worth, TX
In Vegas now, plotting, planning, scouting...:pop

GT day at the Spearmint Rhino?

AJB

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 28, 2006
Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
Dave - thanks....based on past history of Rally I and Rally II, I am confident this will be the best yet to come. Our goal should be 150 GT's.
AJB

sr71

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 22, 2007
Calgary, Great White
just wondering if there could be a location near the rally where one could legally make a top end run? maybe a closed course, or private ownership, or closed airfield type of situation? Saw the guy on the autobaun at 200+ ...thought he was nuts. too much speed differential. Some poor shmuck in a Lada checks his mirror, clear except for that dot on the horizon, and goes to pass something even slower. And there you are, toast. So, anything around Vegas?????

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
I think you can do anything you want before or after the rally. I would hate to see a high speed event as part of the official Rally.
I would have to review my position regarding supporting and attending. Another event like Saleen's at Rally II is fine in my book.

Just learned that there was a crash at the SHELBY BIRTHDAY BASH in Vegas this weekend.
Damaged sheet metal brings a dark cloud over an event, an owner hauled off in a meat wagon is the last thing I want to see.

The Silver State run is in late September :- http://www.silverstateclassic.com/318-hwy-event-description.htm
Click the link and see the requirements and details.

At the Vegas Motor Speedway there is the Richard Petty Driving Experience where you can run a stock car.
There is also the Spring Mountain Track in Pahrump that offers various programs.

Unless you have a current FIA, SCCA or similar competition license you will not be allowed to run hard on most tracks.

Check out the current issue of CAR & DRIVER which features PEAK COMPLETIONS FGT and other car making bonzai runs.
Notice they all had pro drivers, ever wonder why? Sorry I am not being flippant, just concerned that we remain sane.

Last edited:

Dirk P

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 18, 2006
Orlando Florida
Waldo

LOL, Spirment Rino........... Well I have contacts there too through the Venetian. Great Place but you can drop a furtune there in a heart beat.

sr71

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 22, 2007
Calgary, Great White
Bony: all concerns valid & understood. I recently read Stormcat's successful completion of his 200 mph new year's resolution and was thinking with my woody. Congrats Stormcat! Now because so many of the fellows have contacts in and around Vegas, at the same time as, but not associated with, any other events, well,...you know. Maybe.

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Thanks for your thoughtful reply. Don't want to be a wet blanket. LVMS is a nasty track, they do have some other areas where SAAC has ran which is much safer. Don't want to see any of my friends in a wall. It is one thing when one races often, it is quite the other when one goes 10/10 once ever five years.

GTNJ

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 21, 2006
State of Confusion
At the Vegas Motor Speedway there is the Richard Petty Driving Experience where you can run a stock car.

Just did the Richard Petty Driving Experience, it was a load of fun! :thumbsup

lv1.jpg

Waldo

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 7, 2005
Fort Worth, TX
LOL, Spirment Rino........... Well I have contacts there too through the Venetian. Great Place but you can drop a furtune there in a heart beat.

Drop yes. Waste no. Somebody has to have a philanthropic heart and buy some textbooks.

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
SOME OF ALL OLD BULLS WALK DOWN THE HILL SLOWLY AND GET THEM ALL.

Sorry guys... I'll be in Pahrump before the Rhino sees a double sawbuck of mine.

cobrar1339

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 2, 2006
Diamond Bar, Ca
How about an on track Photo Shoot at LVMS NASCAR Track? Parade laps, with pace car control. I'm pretty sure we could rent the track for a couple hours. Could be fun and a rare photo opportunity. We did this at the old Ontario motor speedway for SAAC2.

There is also a drag strip close by that could be rented for a private event on the weekdays. A little safer than a road course venue. We have a forum vendor that knows this track very very well. I would bet he would be willing to give some instruction as well.

Vegas does have a short infield course that is a step up from the Saleen AutoX. It is short enough that it could be spaced for short time trail stye runs without getting too crazy and IMO not as hard on the cars as an AutoX.

As Bony mentioned, it is always the downer of the event when someone mixes it up. A nice safe event with a little room to excercise would be fun though.

BTW: A Quick story about a day at LVMS -12 mins at speed with a living legend.

I went to the Shelby Vegas Grand opening years ago. I got a ride with Mr Shelby. He had a new raw alum CSX 427 Cobra he wanted to have some fun with. As we headed out on the Nascar track the car was just awesome, kinda like the traction you get with a Whipple car in 1-3, but 4x the drama. As we got about 3/4 the way down the back straight he takes one hand off the wheel and points to the speedo. It is reading 158ish, he looks over and has a big grin. He just keeps the hammer down through the corner.:cool

It's like a Sunday drive for him, but pretty scarey in an open roadster for me. Especially, when I realize he has the only roll bar and I have nothing but a 3" vintage style lap belt. :eekI start to remember his talk the night before and how thankful he was for the heat transplant and his comments on life before and after. Then I start thinking this guy is almost 80 years old. Is this really happening?, no one actually drives these cars like this in the real world?:confused

As we pass the starting line and go for lap two he is even more relaxed and still has that grin. :biggrin I now know the car will hold the huge speed through the whole track, so I am a lot more comfortable. About that time it hits me that driving at speed is his fountain of youth. When we got in the car he was a little slow, but when we got out 6 laps later, he was more talkative and walked with a bounce in his step. :bow The guys in the pits are saying "you guys were haulin' ass, damn that thing sounds and looks good at speed". He says "Yeah she runs pretty good as he pats a crew member on the back.

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
The problem with a little room for exercise is someone always decides to be top dog.
Last weekend at the Shelby Bash there was a crash. LVMS is full of walls. I am very uncomfortable with the main track. Besides, you will have to buy out Petty Driving Exp. who runs there every day.

Remember any waiver you sign is void if there is gross negligence. Based on what we know about that track and there is an incident it would be hard to argue that we did not forecast an incident. They had one last weekend at the Shelby event, they had on at the Viper event.

Easy to post, hard to defend a lawsuit. You can do and organize any post or pre Rally event outside of the Forum as far as I am concerned.

TallCarGuy

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 2, 2006
Santa Ynez, California
Bony,

Count me in for Rally III. I'll be running my Unlimited Car in the Silver State so I do hope that a whole mess of GTs show up for that. I averaged 198.54 mph to win Unlimited at the 2007 Silver State. It was a blast!!!

Richard Hille
2005 White w/ Blue #916

Status
Not open for further replies.