Problems starting the engine

kumar

GT Owner
Jan 31, 2007
Dallas
No, I didnt take it negatively at all. I was just thinking that after all this, if it still turns out to be the fuel filler, Im going to jump off a cliff.

I have the OEM throttle body.

Aug 25, 2006
No, I didnt take it negatively at all. I was just thinking that after all this, if it still turns out to be the fuel filler, Im going to jump off a cliff.

I have the OEM throttle body.

Thank you

Now with the OEM throttle body in place this reduces the options.

I asked once before; any check engine light and or have you had the opportunity to look for codes with the nand scanner?

FYI: I went through a similar situation on my personal gal when she only had 100 miles on her and found it most frustrating as such when time permits I intend on designing a filler cap setup that will cure this once and for all as I have several DOA filler assemblies to work with in my facility.

Chats soon

Shadowman

kumar

GT Owner
Jan 31, 2007
Dallas
Never throws a check engine light and no codes other than P1000.

Aug 25, 2006
Never throws a check engine light and no codes other than P1000.

So the fact that it has not thrown another code is unusual however not without history

The P1000 code is as follows;

Ford OBD-II Trouble Code P1000 = OBD-II Monitor Testing Incomplete

Typically this will mean that the gal is not in OBD II readty mode meaning that one or more of the systems has not checked in and happy.

I just looked in my programming software and it is a code that can be disabled however there is no clear description

Here is what I would say;

1. ground issue = no
2. general electrical issue = no
3. condition of fuel issue = no
4. spark plugs = no
5. coils = no
6. general air flow into and around the intake = no

Now having said this I would say that the number of possibilities are minimal;

1. fuel filler tube assembly = maybe and most likely
2. IAC valve = possible but would remain low on my list
3. throttle switch = possiblke but would remain low on my list
4. pcv valve = possible but would remain low on my list

I am simply attempting to walk the distance with you

Regards

Shadowman

kumar

GT Owner
Jan 31, 2007
Dallas
you dont think the tune is a possibility?

cobrar1339

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 2, 2006
Diamond Bar, Ca
Sorry to but in.

If the tune is in a hand held tuner. Your OEM tune should be in there now. It can be reloaded to determine if this is the issue.

If the tune was for a pulley, remember the problem described was not when you were in boost. You could load the stock tune and drive easy out of boost to see if the OEM tune cured it.

You should not hurt anything as long as you do not get into boost.

If the tune was not loaded like this and it has been this way since day 1, then yes it could be the tune IMO.

Aug 25, 2006
you dont think the tune is a possibility?

No

I say this because shortly after you fire the gal she goes into closed loop mode and there she remains during her normal drive cycles. The only time she is operated in a place that is tweaked by the tuner is while in open loop. No one typically tweak the closed loop variables; now having shared this if one did is it possible however I would be both surprised and then suspect of the tuner unless such was done to compensate for a specific exotic fuel.

Now as for the idle, it is a fixed point as such you can define it to be whatever you desire as an example I twist the gals up to closer to 750-775 RPM rather that the extremely low OEM idle however I do so not because of poor idle but rather because I feel that the motor sounds better and tends to be a bit crisper off idle.

Until you correct the problem I would not encourage this as it would be akin to a patch-work quilt.

Now lastly; as I recall you installed a pulley or ?? on your gal correct? If this is the case you can simply return the PCM programming to OEM and drive her to confirm as long as you drive her modestly; NO WOT throttle pulls and this too will validate another item.

Standing by

Shadowman

kumar

GT Owner
Jan 31, 2007
Dallas
hmmm I need to check and see if the stock tune is still there in the handheld tuner. I dont think it is. Pretty sure Hennessey only has their tune on there.

Oh well, its going to be in the 20s the next couple of days. Will drive the car on Sunday and update.

thanks

Aug 25, 2006
hmmm I need to check and see if the stock tune is still there in the handheld tuner. I dont think it is. Pretty sure Hennessey only has their tune on there.

Oh well, its going to be in the 20s the next couple of days. Will drive the car on Sunday and update.

thanks

It has to be there; the process of loading a tune whether with the SCT or the Predator is the same and both have the return to stock feature

I will await your update in a few days

All the best

Shadowman

kumar

GT Owner
Jan 31, 2007
Dallas
The only time I used the SCT, the only tune in there was labled "Ford GT." There was only one tune to load. ?

Its been a while since I messed with it though. My memory is leaving me. I will check it out this weekend.

Aug 25, 2006
The only time I used the SCT, the only tune in there was labled "Ford GT." There was only one tune to load. ?

Its been a while since I messed with it though. My memory is leaving me. I will check it out this weekend.

No worries and you are likely correct

The SCT will hold 3 custom tunes however the OEM tune is automatic and can not be viewed.

When you hook it up and look at the menu you will see the return to stock or ?? option at which point you press select and walk through the steps as the menu defines. Then once you have done the drive test you can reload the custom tune which will be the one as you described and it will be as if you did NADA.

If any questions just let me know

Takes care

Shadowman

kumar

GT Owner
Jan 31, 2007
Dallas
i wonder if the neighbors will be mad if i go drive around right now

Aug 25, 2006
i wonder if the neighbors will be mad if i go drive around right now

Fire that gal up and let her roll

Shadowman

kumar

GT Owner
Jan 31, 2007
Dallas
update: well Ive driven the car on 4 seperate occassions and it hasnt died while driving yet. However, I just got back from lunch. Parked the car outside in the sun and when I came back to restart it, it died. Restarted it again and it wanted to die. Held the rpms at 700 and then it idled fine and didnt give me any trouble on the way home.

damnit

come to think of the it, the last time it died was also when i parked it outside at chipotle during lunch. damn u chipotle.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
update: well Ive driven the car on 4 seperate occassions and it hasnt died while driving yet. However, I just got back from lunch. Parked the car outside in the sun and when I came back to restart it, it died. Restarted it again and it wanted to die. Held the rpms at 700 and then it idled fine and didnt give me any trouble on the way home.

damnit

come to think of the it, the last time it died was also when i parked it outside at chipotle during lunch. damn u chipotle.

Like th' ol' joke: "Doc, it HURTS when I do this."
"Well then! Don't DO that!"

STAY AWAY FROM CHIPOTLE. Pblm solved...

kumar

GT Owner
Jan 31, 2007
Dallas
lol

forgot to check the filter. going to do it now

kumar

GT Owner
Jan 31, 2007
Dallas
No need to remove the filters or the box to check.

Just lift the clam and shine a light in there. I fit has a yellowish paper element it is OEM. If it is reddish and has screen around it you have a K&N.

When you shine the light look toward the upper part of the opening, the edge of the filter should be hanging down, you could touch it with your finger.

ok im a little concerned. i looked inside both openings and didnt see any filter. stuck my hand all the way down in there and didnt even feel anything.

edit: reached around inside and upward in the airbox and did feel a webbing so some kind of filter is in there. do i need to disconnect the maf to take off the airbox?

Last edited:

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
do i need to disconnect the maf to take off the airbox?

Yep. Two screws on each side of the box. The MAF connection and loosen the ring clamp at the top. The whole box comes out then you will need to turn it over and unscrew all of the hex screws (I would lay a towel down so you don't damage the "FORD GT" graphics on the top side).

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
As a side note.. I have not had any futher problems with mine?