Problems starting the engine

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
Yesterday I started my GT to go out for a spin and notice that after she did her initial high rev start the engine died out. It only did it once so I chalked it up to being cold and went on about my day. After a spirited drive around town I pulled in to Starbucks with a couple of, recently impressed, BMW M class owners. We had a cup of Joe (or Joseph as they call it at Starbucks). When I got in the GT to leave it died 3 times in a row (it died after it stared-up and rev'd pretty good). Once I even put my foot in it and held idle at 3k-3.5k for a few seconds. When I let it drop it died. I finally just held the idle and drove away. When I got to the stop light down the street the GT was acting right again.

Bad Gas?
Tune issues? (it was very very humid yesterday and I actually got in a small bit of rain)

Any suggestions for bad gas besides run it till it's empty?

Last edited:

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Sounds like the infamous gas filler neck problem.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Sounds like the infamous gas filler neck problem.

+1

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
I can see part of a spongy gasket around the fuel inlet. I assumed that was the infamous gasket and that sense I could see it, I would be alright. Not true?

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
I can see part of a spongy gasket around the fuel inlet. I assumed that was the infamous gasket and that sense I could see it, I would be alright. Not true?

Not true. 'Completely different animal.

(By the way - how's the leg coming along?)

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
And how many pins and braces do you have in your right leg? Quit using your crutch to operate the go pedal. So dump some gas cleaner into the tank and go for a ride. Then call the guy who sold you the car and bitch. Then think about the filler neck problem. Get a code reader and see if it's coming up.

Kingman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 11, 2006
Surf City, USA
And how many pins and braces do you have in your right leg? Quit using your crutch to operate the go pedal. So dump some gas cleaner into the tank and go for a ride. Then call the guy who sold you the car and bitch. Then think about the filler neck problem. Get a code reader and see if it's coming up.

...that's your 'bedside manner'??? :lol

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
No, usually my patients don't talk back. In Fubar's case, take two aspirins and call the GTGuys in the morning.

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
Do gas cleaners work? I have heard that they are a waste of money. I was hoping Shadowman would chime in. Also, I am not getting an engine light so would there be an error code? I have one of Heffners tuner units so am pretty sure I could get in to the computer.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
No, gas cleaner like denatured alcohol to get any possible water out. You guys that live in warm states I guess don't know about this stuff. Popular around here is "Heat." The alcohol is miscible with the water and dries out the entire fuel system. Up here it keeps fuel lines from freezing.

kumar

GT Owner
Jan 31, 2007
Dallas
My car has been doing this for 11 months. Welcome to my sad, depressing world. Im scared to take it to nice restaurants or any car meets.

Replaced the fuel filler neck, IAC valve, and had a smoke test done afterwards which didnt show any vacuum leaks. Contemplating whether to raise the idle or ship it to the GT guys.

Bill Oxley

GT Owner
Jun 15, 2006
Denver area

I don't think it's any of the issues mentioned.

I think NOT gas related, but what would I know. I think it sounds like an electrical problem.

Shadowman, he's the guy! He will have the answer!

Or at least getting you going in the right direction.

Aug 25, 2006
Yesterday I started my GT to go out for a spin and notice that after she did her initial high rev start the engine died out. It only did it once so I chalked it up to being cold and went on about my day. After a spirited drive around town I pulled in to Starbucks with a couple of, recently impressed, BMW M class owners. We had a cup of Joe (or Joseph as they call it at Starbucks). When I got in the GT to leave it died 3 times in a row (it died after it stared-up and rev'd pretty good). Once I even put my foot in it and held idle at 3k-3.5k for a few seconds. When I let it drop it died. I finally just held the idle and drove away. When I got to the stop light down the street the GT was acting right again.

Bad Gas?
Tune issues? (it was very very humid yesterday and I actually got in a small bit of rain)

Any suggestions for bad gas besides run it till it's empty?

Did the check engine light come on? Even if not can you hook up the SCT hand tool and see if there are any pending codes?

I can speculate however I would like a bit more data before pointing you in a direction

Call or PM me any time

Takes care

Shadowman

Aug 25, 2006
My car has been doing this for 11 months. Welcome to my sad, depressing world. Im scared to take it to nice restaurants or any car meets.

Replaced the fuel filler neck, IAC valve, and had a smoke test done afterwards which didnt show any vacuum leaks. Contemplating whether to raise the idle or ship it to the GT guys.

UUUGH

As I just asked Fubar; does your gal have a check engine light on and if not can you see if there are pending codes?

All the best

Shadowman

TEXAS GT

2006 Twin Turbo
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
My car did exactly the same thing last October. Died about three times right after startup. The next day I drove it to the Texas Mile and drove the sh*t out of it. It's never missed a beat since then.

It's like training a dog. Punish it when it's bad and it won't act up anymore:rofl

Seriously, keep driving it. It may go away like mine did.

YoungCEO

GT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 9, 2008
Whittier,Ca
It sounds like a filter issue.

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
Questions...answers:

I did not notice any engine light.
I used the SCT Tuner device and the car did not report any error codes.
The car has been "ruining" well. It recently dyno'd at 621hp and event the day it died 3 times it ran well on the road
The gas tank was at least 3/4 full

When I was in the garage tonight looking the car over for clues I notice that the coolant has a strange substance in it (I added water wetter but I don't think that is what I am seeing). It looked a bit like oil :ack

Coolant.JPG

kumar

GT Owner
Jan 31, 2007
Dallas
UUUGH

As I just asked Fubar; does your gal have a check engine light on and if not can you see if there are pending codes?

All the best

Shadowman

Check engine light never comes on. The last 3 times I took it into the dealer, they said there werent any codes. This past time, the dealer mentioned a P1000 code which apparently has to do with losing battery power?

Also, according to the dealer "We did the evap test with IDS, passed. Smoke tested evap system no leaks found. inspected fuel filler neck no leaks found. any suggestions?"

The GT guys asked me to check and see if the internal baffling inside the clamshell has been removed which could cause air to blow onto the MAF. Gonna check that when the sun comes up.

Last edited:

cobrar1339

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 2, 2006
Diamond Bar, Ca
Just for giggles, Pull the trunk tray. Follow the ground wire to the frame and tighten the bolt. Not super human tight just good and snug. If it turned easily this may be your problem.

SYCO GT had a similar issue , died for no reason. We went to scan for codes. I plugged in the scanner and it just totally died, no lights no power whatsoever. It happen the second I pushed the button to check for the codes. Made us feel like the scanner did something to the CPU. What was real odd was that it was acting fine 3 seconds before. It took awhile to figure it out. The battery tested fine. I wiggled the cable and it moved, the lights came on and we knew we found the problem. As far as I know it has been fine since.

You have nothing to lose.

I say this as you mention a code for loss of battery power.

Last edited:

kumar

GT Owner
Jan 31, 2007
Dallas
After continued dialogue with Rich Brooks of the GT Guys (amazingly helpful), it looks as I might have one possibility as to the culprit. For some reason, the air intake that feeds air into the clamshell from the sides of the car is blocked off on my car. Here is a picture:

gt002.jpg

Hopefully, removing those block off plates remedies the problem. Can anyone think of why the previous owner might have used the block offs?