Power problems when accelerating hard

Oct 15, 2014
ok an update for you all, thanks to SMOKDU for the suggestion of the intercooler water pump, i did a short test drive to check the transmission oil cooler kit did not leak any oil and than wanted to observe the intercooler reservoir for movement of water, at a temp reading on the dash of approx. 170F, the water showed no sign of moving in the intercooler tank. ok it might not be hot enough to be sure, I do not know the exact temp the intercooler pump starts to work??? anyone know this?.

So I thought check the pump fuses and relays out of interest, all ok from bench testing, next step, I tested the pump with a direct 12v supply, the pump did not run unless its so silent and smooth you cannot tell. so Mr Smokdu, it looks like your thinking might be right. the pump should run right if i connect it direct with 12volts supply detached from the harness.

is this a common problem for the intercooler water pump to fail?

I will order a new one anyway along with a set of relays to replace throughout the car, as its very humid here in Thailand.

will keep you guys updated with my findings. cheers to all so far for your input, its helped a great deal.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
I don't remember the temp for a stock tune, but if the tank is 170, (it's different than the engine coolant) the ecu will pull a lot of timing and your car will lose power. Ideally the cooler the better.

If you can datalog Air Inlet Temp 2 it will tell you the story. If it is over 80F you lose a little power, over 120F you lose more, and so on...

Oct 15, 2014
ok an update for you all, thanks to SMOKDU for the suggestion of the intercooler water pump, i did a short test drive to check the transmission oil cooler kit did not leak any oil and than wanted to observe the intercooler reservoir for movement of water, at a temp reading on the dash of approx. 170F, the water showed no sign of moving in the intercooler tank. ok it might not be hot enough to be sure, I do not know the exact temp the intercooler pump starts to work??? anyone know this?.

So I thought check the pump fuses and relays out of interest, all ok from bench testing, next step, I tested the pump with a direct 12v supply, the pump did not run unless its so silent and smooth you cannot tell. so Mr Smokdu, it looks like your thinking might be right. the pump should run right if i connect it direct with 12volts supply detached from the harness.

I will order a new one anyway along with a set of relays to replace throughout the car, as its very humid here in Thailand.

will keep you guys updated with my findings. cheers to all so far for your input, its helped a great deal.

Rlhay2

Oct 21, 2014

It is not uncommon among the Ford models that use an intercooler pump.

SMOKDU

GT Owner
Dec 17, 2011
I don't remember the temp for a stock tune, but if the tank is 170, (it's different than the engine coolant) the ecu will pull a lot of timing and your car will lose power. Ideally the cooler the better.

If you can datalog Air Inlet Temp 2 it will tell you the story. If it is over 80F you lose a little power, over 120F you lose more, and so on...

ok I looked at the stock tune and the value in the MBT spark retard table the value stock is capped at -254 with inlet air temps above 250 (I am sure you are above this hot ) I used to run a roots without an intercooler and saw 300 plus downstream air temps. looking at the math and load, the stock program should pull about 5.4 degrees of timing at lower loads. with both high temps and low timing and maybe even some detonation going on you could have some of these issues without a working intercooler. let us know.

Last edited:

MTV8

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 24, 2010
Houston Texas
I believe the intercollooler pump runs constantly. You should be able to see coolant moving though the reservoir window without removing the cap. My pump went out in an unusual way. It would turn on immediately after receiving power and cycle on and off in even five second intervals. It would repeat this pattern five time before stopping completely. If power was interrupted, the pattern would repeat.

Oct 15, 2014
our pump appears not to be working at all, even if i disconnect it and supply the pump with 12v clean supply it does not work. so this is our power problem, i will replace all the relays for the fuel pumps anyway and renew the water pump for the intercooler. thanks for your help guys, it certainly helped to resolve this problem. hope this post can be of help to others with similar problems in the future. will confirm when all replaced that this final diagnostic was the 100% cause.