Plastic vents on the clam shell....

kosupply

GT Owner/Board of Directors
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 27, 2006
Houston
Anyone besides myself had problems with them warping? The Ford Dealer is installing the second set. They are going to take the warped ones to a fabricator to see if they can make some stainless ones. I wonder how they would look un painted?

ROCMAN

Big Dawg!
Mark IV Lifetime
Mar 9, 2006
USA
The warping vents are a common problem. What most owners do is open the clamshell after driving. This will get all the hot air out and prevent warping.

If you have stripes, it may look funny unpainted, but for a solid car, it may look good.

isaakgt

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 20, 2005
Wilder, Idaho
Mine are showing some warpage too. I have alot of miles on my car. I think aluminum would be the way to go. Be careful taking the stock ones on & off as the studs break off pretty easy. I found this out when I removed them for cleaning and broke one stud. I also open the clamshell after a drive to let things cool off.

I've had it happen twice. The first time the replacement vents came in defective (no screw holes).

JT

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
Anyone besides myself had problems with them warping? The Ford Dealer is installing the second set. They are going to take the warped ones to a fabricator to see if they can make some stainless ones. I wonder how they would look un painted?

I think they would probably look fine s/s unpainted.

Please keep us posted on the progress. Thanks!

427Aggie

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 18, 2005
Frisco, Tx
Had mine replaced at the ralley by Saleen. Solution...CHANGE YOUR EXHAUST...that muffler keeps too much heat under the hood...mine warped with 1500 miles on them. I still pop my hood but the difference with accufab under there instead of the muffler is night and day...there is just not nearly as much heat soak.

matt

ROCMAN

Big Dawg!
Mark IV Lifetime
Mar 9, 2006
USA
What about some Carbon fiber or Kevlar vents. That would be interesting.

Aug 25, 2006
I thought some time ago that aluminum was the choice and in fact were being designed or ? ; what happened to that prospect?

I would be interested even though I have no issues in a set of aluminum pieces; seems to me this could be a nice cast piece that would then afford polishing, painting, anodizing, etc.

Just my two cents.

Takes care

Shadowman

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
Sounds like a Jay project!

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
I still pop my hood but the difference with accufab under there instead of the muffler is night and day...there is just not nearly as much heat soak.
matt

When you "pop" your clamshell, are you just popping it to where it is open about 1 1/2 inches at the latch, or do you fully open the clamshell every time?

I have the stock exhaust and 1,400 miles, with no ill effects yet, but I definitely want to get the accufab...

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
You're up late! Mind you, I'm quite early!

I open mine fully in the garage just to take the heat off. With or without vents warping (mine aren't) it's not a bad idea to do it anyway rather than letting a hot engine stew.

Fortunately the GT looks attractive with the lid open or closed!

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
Thanks. Yes, I have been opening it fully in the garage after any drives of extended duration. I was wondering more about leaving it out in public with the shell open. I guess I would not be comfortable doing that if I cannot see the vehicle.

And also, I was wondering if just popping it to the latch position will help - or if the heat exit might damage the paint or rubber seals...

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
I think you'd be better off leaving it firmly shut on the street - better safe than sorry.

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
Yeah, I guess it would just take one loser to flip open the clamshell and play around with stuff...

Thanks! I've been leaving it fully closed so far on the street.

Time to get some sleep, got a conference call early tomorrow...:bored

427Aggie

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 18, 2005
Frisco, Tx
I just pull the lever and leave it. Talked to alot of engineers and they said doing that just raises the point where the heat can go out of the car.

Interesting note is that we sat with the wind and noise engineer and several testers at the dinner in Detroit. They have 2 hooks on the clamshell for a reason.

First was they lost a shell in the windtunnel at high speed when they turned the car to a 20 deg slant into the wind..OOPSY!!!!

Second they actually tested the car on the track going up in 10 MPH increments and pulling the clamshell lever to see how fast they could go safely..they found out don't pull it at 120..the car gets kind of squirely :)

Matt:biggrin

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Opening clam shell

Ooooooooooh, no!!!!!! If you leave your car with the clamshell fully open it will be an irresistible invite for SOMEBUDDY - AND, TRUST ME, THERE ALWAYS WILL BE THAT SOMEBODY - to lean into the engine bay as faaaaaaar as they can ... purses, belt buckles, zippers and all ... and grab & grope to their hear's content without a care in the world as to what they might screw up while doing so. :bang DON'T GIVE 'EM THE OPPORTUNITY!::mad

I learned LOOOOOOOONG AGO to only open the hood on my street machines about a foot and a half (or thereabouts) at a show - forget just parked on the street! - so that anybody wanting to check out the engine had to BEND OVER to look under the hood ... which automatically moves their BELT BUCKLE "away" from the fender. :thumbsup

The GT's "hood", of coarse, doesn't lend itself too well to doing that.

So, I'd echo the comment made in a post above: just pop the 'shell open so the safety latches catch it and leave it that way when parked in a public place. AND BE SURE YOU CAN SEE YOUR CAR from wherever you are at all times regardless. (There are too many "LOOZERS" out there who just LOOK FOR THE CHANCE to mess with somebody ELSE'S property ... especially if it's EXPENSIVE property.)

'Deep breath ... exhale ... again ... aaaaaaaaaaaaah! 'Much "gooder" now...

Paranoid Pockets

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
Man, are people nuts or what?

I'm glad you guys post all these paranoid stories.

When I go to a car show, I am very very careful with my camera and clothing, and purposely position myself and body in a way where I cannot touch the car. But I guess, everyone is not as careful or concerned as a true car enthusiast.

I have been showing my GT recently, and hadn't given it too much thought, but I definitely will now...

As they say, an ounce of preventation....

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Man, are people nuts or what?

When I go to a car show, I am very very careful with my camera and clothing, and purposely position myself and body in a way where I cannot touch the car. But I guess, everyone is not as careful or concerned as a true car enthusiast.

You hit the nail on the head, Sir! YOU give a rip about other people's stuff. My guess is there's not one person on this Forum who's any different.

But, honest to God, there are sooooo many mutants from the shallow end of the gene pool out there it's unbelieveable. And it only takes ONE!

I wish I were exaggerating - but, I'm not. 'Seen it happen too many times...

Pockets

TEXAS GT

2006 Twin Turbo
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter

KO, not trying to place blame but don't you track your car quite a bit? I haven't had any problems with my '05 with 3000 miles on it and wonder if I need to worry? Tracking it would subject it to much higher temps than normal wouldn't it?

Has anybody else had warping problems on a street driven car?

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Just like Aggie, Silverbullitt had his replaced at the the rally at Saleen. My rear window trim was a little out of kilter, so the Saleen girls popped out the old trim and replaced it with new, both sides. They also said they were now using double-sided tape on the top vents, so they pulled mine and put the tape on. Whole thing took about an hour, but they had proper tools and parts. With 4500 miles now, still no warping, but I do sometimes open the clamshell. Bullitt and Aggie are the experts on this.