Oil pressure warning

dubaigt

GT Owner
Aug 8, 2006
Hi Guys i have an oil pressure warning light coming on and off occasionally when i am driving. the "check guage" red light flashes up and i look at the oil pressure and the needle is all the way to zero. when i tap the accelerator the pressure returns to normal almost immediately.

Any one had a similar problem or got any solutions, I would go to the local dealer and ask them whats up but they have no real clue about these cars and would end up running me round in circles.

Cheers guys.

Tom

quick time

GT Owner
Jul 27, 2006
dubaigt said:
Hi Guys i have an oil pressure warning light coming on and off occasionally when i am driving. the "check guage" red light flashes up and i look at the oil pressure and the needle is all the way to zero. when i tap the accelerator the pressure returns to normal almost immediately.

Any one had a similar problem or got any solutions, I would go to the local dealer and ask them whats up but they have no real clue about these cars and would end up running me round in circles.

Cheers guys.

Tom

Your remarks about the Ford Dealer Service is both distressing and just plain pathetic. Is it any wonder why Ford Motor company is in the financial stress that it is. All they had to do was build 4000 cars to showcase their technical ability as a manufaturer and restore some luster to their companies name. Instead look at what has happend. Right from the very begining with the major suspension problems to Axels falling out to your problem along with many others the cars legacy may wind up being less than sterling. Many of their dealers are losing money.
From Automotive News Magazine today...Dealership profits have plunged for several years, and many stores are in the red. Average dealership profits continue to fall in 2006, down 8 to 10 percent through April, Ford has said.
Ford is in big trouble. The GT is NOT being supported properly. Now I know that there are owners out there who have not had any serious difficulties and may actually have found a Ford dealer that can service their car correctly. From what I have been reading on this site and others, overall, more owners than not have some serious issues both with the car and with Ford. IF only it were not true.

Bart Carter

GT Owner
Mar 12, 2006
Las Vegas
Quick Time,

What are you trying to accomplish with your post. Not does it only hijack the thread, it is not accurate. Do you have some axe to grind with Ford? Do you have GT envy? Did you not just read about the rally?

We all know what is written about Ford. But we as owners of a GT cannot thank Ford enough for providing our dream car. We, as a group, have many expensive cars, far more expensive than the GT. No car, no matter who makes it, is without problems. Ford stepped up to the plate and did the right thing. You can't ask anything more than that from any manufacturer. I only went to one Ford dealer for service so far and not only were they excited about the car, but they helped me right away.

Bart Carter

GT Owner
Mar 12, 2006
Las Vegas
dubaigt said:

Cheers guys.

Tom

Tom,

You say you are driving and then tap the accelerator to get more pressure. Do you mean you are at idle when the pressure goes low? Pressure will go low at idle. At speed, do you have at least 50 lbs/in? Did you check your oil level? Correct weight oil?

I would go to the dealer. They have a direct line to the factory for anything they are not familiar with.

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Tom,

Don't mess around with a low oil pressure reading - seriously. Although hopefully it is simply a faulty sending unit or gauge, if IT IS really low oil pressure, then your engine is in grave jeopardy. Please be very, very careful until you have the situation checked out. Frankly, I'd recommend flat-bedding to a dealer so you don't have to run it.

Again, I think the odds are that it is something simple - but don't take any chances.

Best of luck,
Kendall

LEMANSZ

Gt Owner
Jan 11, 2006
SoCal
QUICKTIME..what exactly are you? A Corvette owner.? You obviusly did not attend the Ford GT summit in dearborn last week or you would have seen hundreds of very satified owners with very minor complaints/problems about their cars. Why don't you get yourself a GT and learn first hand what the rest of us already now.,..WE LOVE THESE CARS

quick time

GT Owner
Jul 27, 2006
LEMANSZ said:
QUICKTIME..what exactly are you? A Corvette owner.? You obviusly did not attend the Ford GT summit in dearborn last week or you would have seen hundreds of very satified owners with very minor complaints/problems about their cars. Why don't you get yourself a GT and learn first hand what the rest of us already now.,..WE LOVE THESE CARS

I have one. A 2006. I hope your right!

jasper

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 17, 2006
australia/ 51st state
quicktime needs a vacation.

dubaigt

GT Owner
Aug 8, 2006
Thanks guys, i will send the car in today and post what happens next. I do want to be clear though. I do Not have anything against ford, how could I? I love my GT and will be eternally grateful to them for it... but its always good to double check their work.

I have checked oil levels and they are fine so i will be keeping my fingers crossed over what happens next.

The reason i was worried in the first place is because the first time i had a problem with my car (whole A/C unit packed up) it took them two weeks just to place the order for the part and another two to receive and install it. On another occasion they also told me that i did not need a synthetic motor oil for the engine.. A piece of advice i ignored (opting to double check with the handbook and finding them wrong). Anyway .. sigh.. thanks again, i appreciate your help.

tom

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Dubai, order yourself the Technical Manual and Electrical manual to have on hand. Search old posts on where to get them.

kosupply

GT Owner/Board of Directors
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 27, 2006
Houston
MAC HAIK FORD TOOK MY CAR JOY RIDING. CHAMPION FORD IN KATY,TX INSTALLED THE TRANS COOLER,2 OIL CHANGES, NEW FRONT ROTORS AND PADS, IDA EXHAUST AND THEY HAVE BEEN GREAT!

red gt 1442

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 23, 2005
NY Metro Area
dubaigt said:

Cheers guys.

Tom
I also have had an oil pressure light come on..on and off.. but all of them at idle..I then tap the gas and it goes back to normal. I noticed that it happens when the car is hot, and in traffic at idle. After checking the oil level i found it to be 2 quarts low...After adding and driving about 100 miles (although in cooler weather) I have not had any issues again with the gauge. Will keep an eye on it for now.

Gino

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
quick time said:
Your remarks about the Ford Dealer Service is both distressing and just plain pathetic. Is it any wonder why Ford Motor company is in the financial stress that it is. All they had to do was build 4000 cars to showcase their technical ability as a manufaturer and restore some luster to their companies name. Instead look at what has happend. Right from the very begining with the major suspension problems to Axels falling out to your problem along with many others the cars legacy may wind up being less than sterling. Many of their dealers are losing money.
From Automotive News Magazine today...Dealership profits have plunged for several years, and many stores are in the red. Average dealership profits continue to fall in 2006, down 8 to 10 percent through April, Ford has said.
Ford is in big trouble. The GT is NOT being supported properly. Now I know that there are owners out there who have not had any serious difficulties and may actually have found a Ford dealer that can service their car correctly. From what I have been reading on this site and others, overall, more owners than not have some serious issues both with the car and with Ford. IF only it were not true.

Hello Mr. Quick Time,
How many Ferrari's have similar issues on 100% new production, how many Lambo's? You are living in a fantasy world. The quality of the GT is as good as any hand made automobile.
Cheers,
daniel

Silverbullitt

GT Owner
Mar 3, 2006
Lago Vista, TX
DBK it appears it is time for quick time to go bye bye.

scode

Mar 28, 2006
Plymouth, MI
Looking back he started off right out of the gate. Why so negitive? If you can't get laid driving a GT, then you must have deeper issues. I am sure you will tell us how great your Z06 is. BYE BYE!

AZGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 20, 2005
Scottsdale, AZ.
Guys - be civil.

Quick Time is entitled to his opinion, though we know it is not shared by many in this group. Part of the forum is to correct misperceptions. Once he is here for a while he will see it is not an unhappy group and the owners are pleased with the car.

Flawless, no. Anyone upset by it? No.

I think he is already seeing a different view.

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
Quicktime - this Forum is for enthusiasts and owers. Whilst many will post with positive stories about their GT's, most of the technical discussions are around problems and solutions. As many here (me included) own or have owned Ferraris, Lamborghinis, Astons etc, I can assure you that ALL exotic/high performance cars have occassional problems - they're hand built, low production vehicles.

A Swatch will be more reliable (and waterproof) than a Patek or Breguet Tourbillon and most high street jewellers can change the battery for you, very few could change a strap on the latter.

Perhaps this analogy is lost on you.

quick time

GT Owner
Jul 27, 2006
AZGT said:
Guys - be civil.

Quick Time is entitled to his opinion, though we know it is not shared by many in this group. Part of the forum is to correct misperceptions. Once he is here for a while he will see it is not an unhappy group and the owners are pleased with the car.

Flawless, no. Anyone upset by it? No.

I think he is already seeing a different view.

A refreshing voice of reason! Yes I did state my opinion. I hope I am wrong about this car and it turns out to be great. After all I invested in a new 06 just a few weeks ago. Nothing would please me more than to find that my car does not develop some of the serious problems others have talked about here and elsewhere like, the rear half shafts falling out and the Supercharger leaking, etc.
What really surprised me was the owner of a GT who had a potentially serious "oil pressure problem" and did not, in his words, want to take it to the local dealer because he, the dealer, has no real clue about these cars and would end up running him around in circles. That was, in my view, ridiculous.
Ford should have made it a requirment that if a dealer wanted one of these cars to sell he would have to have at least one tech go to school and take specialized GT training. This is what Dodge did in the early days with the Viper. No training, no Vipers to sell. The owner of this expensive car should not have to be concerned that his dealer would not be able to address his potentially serious oil problem and not want to take it to him.
Mr AZGT you are a wise man who knows the value of give and take on these type of Forums. The good, bad and ugly. It actually makes the Forum more valuable to owners as they get to hear all sides of the issues. IF all the owners wanted to hear is good news and how wonderful their cars are then of what real value is the site? Look at the wonderful GT Tech Forum you have which lists all the known to date problems with the car. That is of immense value to a new owner like me.
I own two Lamborghini's, an SL600 (V12), and a Dodge Charger SRT8. (wonderful car BTW). I consider myself a serious car enthusiest and really hope that the GT turns out to be great. My local ford dealer was okay on the first service visit the other day. However I will have to wait and see how things go if a serious issue develops. Perhaps there will be none.
Enjoying your site very much. Thanks!

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Take a deep breath, then listen carefully.

The gent with the oil pressure warning light issue is operating the car in a country (Dubai) where it was never sold (its a grey market car) and has no sales/service support - that's part of the deal with grey market cars...

The only countries where the GT is officially sold are US, Eurore (UK, Germany, Switzerland, etc) and Canada. So in a nutshell, no, Ford's support of the GT in a country where it DOES NOT SELL IT will be non-existent. They don't service Sony TV's from the U.S used in Africa either. As for the rest of your post, it's mainly wrong, and totally unneccessary.

Things go wrong with cars regardless what they cost, and I'm wary of those who launch tangents on a company's balance sheet over a low oil pressure gauge...

quick time said:

Last edited:

quick time

GT Owner
Jul 27, 2006
DBK said:
Take a deep breath, then listen carefully.

The gent with the oil pressure warning light issue is operating the car in a country (Dubai) where it was never sold (its a grey market car) and has no sales/service support - that's part of the deal with grey market cars...

The only countries where the GT is officially sold are US, Eurore (UK, Germany, Switzerland, etc) and Canada. So in a nutshell, no, Ford's support of the GT in a country where it DOES NOT SELL IT will be non-existent. They don't service Sony TV's from the U.S used in Africa either. As for the rest of your post, it's mainly wrong, and totally unneccessary.

Things go wrong with cars regardless what they cost, and I'm wary of those who launch tangents on a company's balance sheet over a low oil pressure gauge...

Did not realize he was in Dubai with a grey market car. However that in itself does not alter the fact that, according to many posts I have read here, there are many Ford Dealers who are not knowledgable/trained on the GT to service it properly. There was even one poster in Cental florida that said he would avoid any dealer for service even if he, the car owner, had to pay for the item that needed replacing personally. Greenway Ford was cited by one owner in Cental Florida as having "screwed up his car" and warned others about going there. These are facts ,not just my opinion, based on what has been posted here. I still believe that Ford has not supported this car properly. Not requireing a selling dealer to have at least one tech receive some GT specific training is not supporting the car, IMO! Many techs have to learn as they go with the GT. My connection to the financial part of my statement was to ask the question, is Ford's financial situation part of the reason that the car is not better supported? I believe you are reading way more into my statement than I ever intended. I bought one. I drive it. I am hoping that it will turn out to be a wonderful experiance. I also stated my opinion about the servicability and support of the car. Your experiance may be different and you may disagree. Time will tell if my experiance is a good one. Thanks for allowing me to express my opinion. So as not to leave any doubt. I am enjoying the car. It is unique.