OEM clutch

Wwabbit

GT Owner
Mar 21, 2012
Knoxville, TN
The OEM clutch is apparently self adjusting for wear. Not having driven another GT, where do most of you with an OEM clutch engage in the pedal travel? I'm at the top 1/4 of the pedal travel on release. Is that normal, or is it approaching the wear limits as is the case with most other cars?

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
A bit closer to the floor than half way.

Vince H

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 23, 2012
Southern California
A bit closer to the floor than half way.

The same with mine.

Vince H

junior

GT Owner
Mar 9, 2007
So Cal
Engagement about 3/4 up in travel (top 1/4 of the pedal) here.

Tipo815

GT Owner
Engagement about 3/4 up in travel (top 1/4 of the pedal) here.
+1

topshot

GT Owner
Feb 6, 2012
Metro Detroit, MIchigan
same 3/4 to the top

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
You will not be able to gauge clutch wear with pedal-level engagement. Find a nice, dry, safe area and do one or two WOT pulls in third gear. If there's no slipping/tach run-up, the clutch is good. An easier test, might be a 2K -4K RPM at WOT in 4th gear. In summary, if the clutch starts to go on you, you will first notice it slipping in high-load conditions.

KJRGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 4, 2006
SoCal
Thanks for that tip Kendall.
I had not heard of that.

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Many of you have been over to Cool Tech and know that we have a rather long driveway. Just a couple of weeks ago we had an owner get the absolute maximum possible mileage out of his clutch as he just managed to drive the car ~25 miles from his home to the foot of our driveway. But, that was all she wrote! The clutch simply had nothing left to get it that last 100' into the shop. Honestly, it reminded me of taking a dog to the vet.... once that GT got sight of the shop it just wasn't going to go anymore.

For those of you that have any anxiety about clutch replacements, please don't worry about it! We have done a dozen or more now and it is a pretty straightforward process. Give us a head's up so that we can pre-order the clutch and we can generally have the car in and out in the same day. We have another one that we are doing this week or next depending on the arrival date of the clutch from SPEC. We try to keep the OEM throwout bearing assemblies in stock.

Wwabbit

GT Owner
Mar 21, 2012
Knoxville, TN
Thanks for that tip Kendall.
I had not heard of that.

+1, yes thanks. And thanks for everyone's response. I haven't noticed any slippage, but a few drivers have commented on the clutch pedal height. It's interesting how there is a fair bit of variation from car to car. Is there any adjusting that?

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
There are many detailed threads on clutches on this forum only a click away!

Ed

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
Symptoms of a good clutch quickly gone bad.

[video=youtube_share;bM3So0U1BMQ]http://youtu.be/bM3So0U1BMQ[/video]

Wwabbit

GT Owner
Mar 21, 2012
Knoxville, TN

Ed

Yes, I suppose I should have searched this first. Thanks for the reminder, sorry to trouble everyone.

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
^^^IMO, no need to apologize. If search worked like google maybe, but while I'm an expert googler I truly suck at forum searches. Besides, it seems people like to talk about this stuff. :lol

What I was able to glean is engagement point is not adjustable. Seems odd to me.

Last edited:

KJRGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 4, 2006
SoCal
Symptoms of a good clutch quickly gone bad.

[video=youtube_share;bM3So0U1BMQ]http://youtu.be/bM3So0U1BMQ[/video]

That's funnier than S*#T! The dude got out and actually thought he had been spinning the rear tires! :lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime

Ed

Hey Dr. Ed, That is Dr. Frank's job! :lol

Superfly

HERITAGE GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 23, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta
If search worked like google maybe

Try your google search like this:

site:www.fordgtforum.com whateveryouwanttosearch or use quotes for "specially whatever you want to search"

so to do a very specific search for OEM clutch with "OEM CLUTCH" in brackets, try (site:www.fordgtforum.com "OEM Clutch") or for more of a generic version of that search, try (site:www.fordgtforum.com clutch). Hope that makes sense.

I agree with the comment that people like to talk about this stuff. I've seen posts revived that end up deleted or the comment deleted. So sometimes maybe a new thread is not so bad. But try the above form of google search if you're looking for a better search engine.

Last edited:

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
What I was able to glean is engagement point is not adjustable. Seems odd to me.

You can try bleeding your clutch line and see if this improves the situation. I believe the GT is like nearly every other car with a hydraulically operated clutch in that there is no adjustment for the height of engagement.

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
Try your google search like this:

site:www.fordgtforum.com whateveryouwanttosearch or use quotes for "specially whatever you want to search"

so to do a very specific search for OEM clutch with "OEM CLUTCH" in brackets, try (site:www.fordgtforum.com "OEM Clutch") or for more of a generic version of that search, try (site:www.fordgtforum.com clutch). Hope that makes sense.

I agree with the comment that people like to talk about this stuff. I've seen posts revived that end up deleted or the comment deleted. So sometimes maybe a new thread is not so bad. But try the above form of google search if you're looking for a better search engine.

Thank you! :cheers I did this seach..."OEM Clutch"...and of course the first hit was this page. :facepalm: :lol

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
Hey Dr. Ed, That is Dr. Frank's job! :lol

I'm tired of hearing Dr Frank whine so I chimed in!

Ed