No Fly Zone Arizona half mile (and tire question)

Red05

GT Owner
May 19, 2011
I've done 171.'s several times. 3.4I. I make about the same power as you, & I was definitely not holding back. I've done maybe 15 - 20 official 1/2 mile runs and never done better than 171 Plus regardless
Awesome dude. Are you going to come out in December? They are doing it again the 12th and 13th.

peiserg

GT Owner
Aug 15, 2010
Phoenix, az
if I can suggest... instead of c16 maybe e85? That way you can just fill up at a gas station. Although, given how rarely you drive the vehicle... maybe not worth it.

for me, I've got 52k on mine.. and drive it weekly. E86 at $2.29 a gallon for the equivalent of c16... no brainer..but it supposedly also eliminated the requirement for meth injection if you are so inclined.

Red05

GT Owner
May 19, 2011
if I can suggest... instead of c16 maybe e85? That way you can just fill up at a gas station. Although, given how rarely you drive the vehicle... maybe not worth it.

for me, I've got 52k on mine.. and drive it weekly. E86 at $2.29 a gallon for the equivalent of c16... no brainer..but it supposedly also eliminated the requirement for meth injection if you are so inclined.

What is the actual octane of E85? I see different info online, but seems to be around 105? C16 is 117 octane. Anyone else here know which is "better"?

Red05

GT Owner
May 19, 2011
For the record, the Hoosier A7 in 345-30-19 size hooked hard, I was blown away. No burnouts necessary. I pretty much floored it from 1st gear too, I didn't really wait for "roll ons" like some people were doing. I was very impressed with the traction of this tire...

Indy GT

Yea, I got one...too
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 14, 2006
Greenwood, IN
What is the actual octane of E85? I see different info online, but seems to be around 105? C16 is 117 octane. Anyone else here know which is "better"?

I would be much more concerned with the energy density of E85 than the octane issue. Go look this up......

Red05

GT Owner
May 19, 2011
I would be much more concerned with the energy density of E85 than the octane issue. Go look this up......

Do you mean as far as running out of gas sooner?

Indy GT

Yea, I got one...too
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 14, 2006
Greenwood, IN
Well if you are running a standing mile or half mile distance, I would not worry about running out of gas. Unless you just did not look at the fuel gauge prior to staging and started the run with an empty fuel tank. So, no.

At any "race", I would want to use a fuel with the maximum amount of energy (i.e. BTU's) content per weight unit. With the appropriate octane for the amount of boost and ignition timing because as we all know, octane has nothing to do with the fuels ability to make power.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Well if you are running a standing mile or half mile distance, I would not worry about running out of gas. Unless you just did not look at the fuel gauge prior to staging and started the run with an empty fuel tank. So, no.

At any "race", I would want to use a fuel with the maximum amount of energy (i.e. BTU's) content per weight unit. With the appropriate octane for the amount of boost and ignition timing because as we all know, octane has nothing to do with the fuels ability to make power.

You will not be able to run E85 in a standard GT engine without a change to the fuel injection system (injectors and fuel pump) and a tune to do it with. The fuel is not compatible with an engine it is not designed for use (flex fuel) or modified for use. The reason is, as mentioned, the energy content of alcohol per unit volume is less than gasoline so you need more of it to deliver the equivalent power.

Indy GT

Yea, I got one...too
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 14, 2006
Greenwood, IN
Very true.
Takes a whole rethinking of the fuel delivery and metering system(s).