No Fly Zone Arizona half mile (and tire question)

Red05

GT Owner
May 19, 2011
Hi guys,
Is anyone else going to this- https://www.facebook.com/events/693246670786936/
I'll be there on the first day (Saturday Oct 3rd).
It's a standing half mile event in Gila Bend, AZ.

I'm running a Whipple on C16 race gas probably around 800 rwhp.

I've got 4 year old tires on the car:
345/35ZR-19 Bridgestone Potenza
265/40ZR-18 Bridgestone Potenza

Maybe 500 miles on the tires, never outside in the sun do you think these tires will be safe?
Is there a better tire I should be running for a half mile event?

Thanks and hope to see other GT's out there!

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
I've run the B-stones multiple times at the Shift Sector 1/2 mile event in CenCal. No issues. 4 year old tires should be fine. But only 500 miles in that time period? You need to drive that thing more!

RickH

GT Owner
Mar 5, 2015
Florida
Don't some venues/tracks restrict the age of tires to participate in their events?

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Yes they do. It depends on the group and the track. They will do a tech inspection before they let you on the track and check all fluids (and maybe date last changed) and feel of all pedals, lug torque and tire quality plus belt dates and now helmut dates. This info is usually on their website/event news and what they expect with the form to be filled out for the tech.

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Hey Red05, good luck out there! Be fast and be safe! You are likely already aware, but that C16 is great fuel but it really dislikes CATs and O2 sensors. Good fuel to run at the event but try to get it out of the system as soon as possible thereafter.

Red05

GT Owner
May 19, 2011
Good fuel to run at the event but try to get it out of the system as soon as possible thereafter.
Thanks for the info, yes that's the plan! I'm just going to run it for the event then back to 100 :)

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
Don't some venues/tracks restrict the age of tires to participate in their events?

Lot of these events are self-tech inspection. Shift Sector does this and I would imagine No Fly Zone as well. They're not going to know nor will they ask how old your tires are.

Red05

GT Owner
May 19, 2011
Lot of these events are self-tech inspection. Shift Sector does this and I would imagine No Fly Zone as well. They're not going to know nor will they ask how old your tires are.

Correct. Here are their rules- http://www.omegamotorsport.com/#!event-rules/c1b88

Red05

GT Owner
May 19, 2011
So you guys think the Bridgestones will get me enough traction and wont slow my car down versus like a Mickey Thompson 305-35 ET street?

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
So you guys think the Bridgestones will get me enough traction and wont slow my car down versus like a Mickey Thompson 305-35 ET street?

Greg-TT runs the 1/2 mile events with his Whipple'd GT. I believe he runs the Stones, too. Drag radials will certainly give you a better start from dig races, but if you do roll-on's, it probably won't make a difference.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
When I did the mile at the Texas rally, I ran Hoosiers also ran them at about 45 psi to decrease rolling resistance, after I had a discussion with a Hoosier engineer.

Red05

GT Owner
May 19, 2011
I ran Hoosiers also ran them at about 45 psi to decrease rolling resistance, after I had a discussion with a Hoosier engineer.
R7's? 45 psi cold? They must have been close to 55psi after the run!

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Not when you only do 45 mph. Specracer doesn't know how to go fast in a straight line.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
They didn't pick up a ton of heat, as the cycle was so relatively short, also nitrogen (no moisture), which helps the hot to cold delta

R7's? 45 psi cold? They must have been close to 55psi after the run!

Ha, but I was pretty happy with 175, Don't think anyone went faster... Don't forget, no pulley, no tune. So yeah I guess slow.

Not when you only do 45 mph. Specracer doesn't know how to go fast in a straight line.

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit
Drag Coefficient is much greater in black cars. :lol

peiserg

GT Owner
Aug 15, 2010
Phoenix, az
i don't think you'll see more than 170ish at that event with that power. Those tires should be fine, especially well below their maximum speed rating.

keep us updated on your results

Red05

GT Owner
May 19, 2011
i don't think you'll see more than 170ish at that event with that power. Those tires should be fine, especially well below their maximum speed rating.

keep us updated on your results

That's good news dude, thanks! I road race a Viper, but never see speeds above 135, so 170-ish is plenty for me for now! I will definitely post my results. Don't expect much I'm new to this kind of event. Thanks!

BIGFOOT

GT Owner
Jan 18, 2012
Northeast
^^
Where on earth are you tracking a Viper and only seeIng 135mph?
:)

Red05

GT Owner
May 19, 2011
Arizona. Short tracks here.. :(

BIGFOOT

GT Owner
Jan 18, 2012
Northeast
^^
You need to hit a bigger track.
I hit 150mph in my 397RWHP Boss on the first session at Road America.