New owner,First thread, warn me please.

skyrex

FORD GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 11, 2008
Lake Las Vegas, Henderson, NV
Congratulations...you now have another reason to hate winter. :wink

I am late to this party so I will say that you have been given great advice by great members. :thumbsup That said really watch who works on your car unless you are a DIY type of guy and don't assume your local dealer can handle your GT. They will tell you it is not a problem, but from personal experience it can be. :willy

This is not a knock on Ford dealers...just that this is a specialty car that needs special attention. Other than that enjoy the ride. It only gets better from here. :cheers

AJB

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 28, 2006
Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
Many good tips ---but one that you need to plan for NOW>.....

PLAN TO ATTEND THE FORD GT RALLY NUMBER FOUR(4) THIS SUMMER 2009...YOU WILL GET TO MEET ALL THESE FOLKS PLUS MANY MORE VERY NICE PEOPLE.
AJB

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Congratulations...you now have another reason to hate winter. :wink

I am late to this party so I will say that you have been given great advice by great members. :thumbsup That said really watch who works on your car unless you are a DIY type of guy and don't assume your local dealer can handle your GT. They will tell you it is not a problem, but from personal experience it can be. :willy

This is not a knock on Ford dealers...just that this is a specialty car that needs special attention. Other than that enjoy the ride. It only gets better from here. :cheers

NEVER TO LATE:biggrin
You can recover and post some pictures of the pooches and wife:lol:thumbsup:lol
Then rub salt in the wounds and tell everyone how cold it was today, that even had to wear undershort:willy:lol:willy

junior

GT Owner
Mar 9, 2007
So Cal
Sheech Lorenzo, I put up with you on the ZO6 forum and now I have to do it here also:biggrin,

Enjoy the many miles with smiles :cheers, this is indeed the best Forum the is:thumbsup

Lorenzo

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 28, 2008
U.S.A.
Sheech Lorenzo, I put up with you on the ZO6 forum and now I have to do it here also:biggrin,

Enjoy the many miles with smiles :cheers, this is indeed the best Forum the is:thumbsup

Hey wild man Hello again, Did you see my post asking how many Z06 owners also own a Ford GT 40 ?:cheers

It got a lot of responce.

skyrex

FORD GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 11, 2008
Lake Las Vegas, Henderson, NV
NEVER TO LATE:biggrin
You can recover and post some pictures of the pooches and wife:lol:thumbsup:lol
Then rub salt in the wounds and tell everyone how cold it was today, that even had to wear undershort:willy:lol:willy

OH MY GOD!!!! If I am becoming as predictable as the RED GT owners with my posts I am definitely going to have to start mixing it up a bit. :lol

We will have to sort this out at the GT school in March :driving: Happy New Year Bony!!! :beer2: :cheers

Pantera1

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 12, 2008
Iowa
Caution when fueling up. The "capless" filling spout if VERY fragile! Make sure the plastic piece slides sideways as you put the fuel spout in. Jamming it in the fuel hole may damage the piece causing some emission issues. You'll read how much fun it is repairing the unit without removing the fender!! :biggrin :thumbsup

junior

GT Owner
Mar 9, 2007
So Cal
Hey wild man Hello again, Did you see my post asking how many Z06 owners also own a Ford GT 40 ?:cheers

It got a lot of responce.

Yes, I posted warning you about your head, back and the cool doors :thumbsup

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
Gtnj
I thought I drove your gal ??
LORENZO ,
Be sure to explain to passengers how to get in and out of her .
Drive her often !!! This makes you feel sooo good !!!

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Lorenzo....
You never told me it was R E D....
Already one strike against you brother...:lol:banana:lol

Aug 25, 2006
Welcome aboard

All I can say is take some time to get to know each other and IMO the more that you do the better you two will get along; particularly during the extreme moments in time.

Have a great time and be safe

Shadowman

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
Never turn on the radio or CD player - just listen to the beautiful music being made behind you....

:thumbsup :cheers :thumbsup

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
My car is an 06 VIN # ending in 0189 Red with all 4 options and 811 miles on the clock.

Aaaaaaaaw...you couldn't find a BLUE /WHITE??? :lol :cheers

Welcome to our little zoo, Lorenzo!

Okay. Things to look out for (that I don't remember anyone mentioning thus far):

1) Remember when backing up that the rear diffuser WILL HIT "WHATEVER" BEFORE THE REAR TIRES DO!!!
2) Likewise, the "chin spoiler" will ALSO smack "whatever" before the FRONT tires do.
3) Enter steep driveways or side roads at an ANGLE to give the chin spoiler (and the rear diffuser too for that matter!) as much clearance as possible.
4) Use only micro fiber towels on the car's finish! ('Avoids scratches.)
5) When changing lanes in traffic - tap the accelerator FIRST (to give you an instant car length "jump" on the guy who will always - always - be shadowing you just off your rear quarter panel - but whom you'll seldom see), THEN signal for the lane change, THEN change lanes. That techique will save more of your paint than the above 'towels EVER will...:biggrin
6) This was touched on before, but, when you parallel park, ALWAYS leave what you THINK is more space than necessary between the wheels and the curb...'cause when you get out and actually LOOK at the "space" you left - you're gunna be shocked at how LITTLE is really there!!! :lol
7) Install a protective windshield "film" on the windshield ASAP to ward off damage caused by small stones and general street travel "sandblasting".
8) Install small spacers behind your license plate so that the 'plate "stands off" from the body and allows hot air to exit the engine compartment.
9) Buy a good set of GT specific floor mats ( use the 'Forum's "search" for info) to both protect the stock rubber mats AND make cleaning/vacuuming the floors simplier.
10) Don't place anything in the front "boot" that can't withstand heat!!!

Dat's all I can think of for now. As will everyone else, I'll add anything I think of later!

Again, welcome aboard, Lorenzo!:thumbsup :cheers

Oh! I just thought of another thing...in case your state requires you to display a front plate, there's a custom front license plate bracket available(again, hit the "search" feature - or maybe someone with total recall will pipe in here regarding 'same) that utilizes the "towing eye" threads in the grill to mount your 'plate w/o drilling holes in the car.

Last edited:

Lorenzo

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 28, 2008
U.S.A.
THANKS THANKS AND MORE THANKS :biggrin

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Lorenzo, ALWAYS remember that RED cars are the fastest, and don't let any of these other guys convince you otherwise. Please consider supporting the vendors listed here cause they have the best options available, custom made for our cars.

Please consider becoming a supporting member of the Forum. Hope you have a good sense of humor.

Cristo

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 1, 2007
Arizona
Don't forget to support the Ford GT Forum

Hey Lorenzo, welcome to the FGT Forum!! I might have missed it on these posts but don't forget to support the Forum in one of the many Categories...it will be the best money you ever spent on your newly acquired GT. I'm surprised BONY did not mention it yet ha! What a time to get your GT...in the dead of winter!! I am getting SO anxious to get mine out again...you may want to get a set of F1 tire warmers to get your car out on the road asap!!! Congrats and again...WELCOME! Cristo p.s. some of us open the engine hood to let it cool after a run and it may prevent the back louvres from warping if it ever gets hot in Nebraska...cheers!

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
EP you are so knowledgable about the GT. I know most of what your posted, but I learned the hard way from driving the car. The amazing thing is you knew it all, without ever driving your FGT :lol

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
I might have missed it on these posts but don't forget to support the Forum in one of the many Categories...it will be the best money you ever spent on your newly acquired GT. I'm surprised BONY did not mention it yet ha! ..cheers!

Thanks! Normally I wait till the new member gets his feet on the ground and has determined the benefits of a MAKERS MARK MANHATTAN and this forum. Then I ask him to consider supporting the Forum. No more asks this year. :biggrin

Happy New Year!

Lorenzo

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 28, 2008
U.S.A.
Lorenzo, ALWAYS remember that RED cars are the fastest, and don't let any of these other guys convince you otherwise. Please consider supporting the vendors listed here cause they have the best options available, custom made for our cars.

Please consider becoming a supporting member of the Forum. Hope you have a good sense of humor.

Thanks fjpikul, Not sure what color i would have picked had i been the first owner because i like them all. I remember when this all started back in 04 when people were scrabmling to find a dealer that would lock em in so to speak, even then guys were just happy to take whatever. My goal was to find one that was bone stock with low miles so i couldn't be all that picky when it came to color but now after reading your responce i feel twice as lucky as the day i bought it.

As for the sence of humor, This group is a breath of fresh air after being on corvette forum, Some of those guys will literally crucify you for trying to help someone and im not kidding!!!. I faithfully read that forum daily when i first found it but in the past few months, not so much.

As for the support of forum members , thats one of the reasons i am here, What better place to research products and read insight from fellow enthusiast then here????? I already have my eye on an oil cooler and i really like the look of a GT with out the rear bumper but i dont want to do anything detrimental to the car it's really special as is. Not that either of those would be detrimental.

Thanks again, Lorenzo :cheers

Last edited:

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
Check out under GT TECH , TECH THREADS FAQ. SOME GREAT INFO .
http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=864